A good way to find new cold cases

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
I don't know how many are aware of the capabilies of google.com. You can personalize google to always show the news when you go to that site (I use it as my homepage). If you note on the right of the page, you can further personalize the page by adding keywords that you want to see in your news. I have added things like cold cases, missing person, and unidentified or skeletal remains and etc. That way when you go there, you have lots of current news on type of cases you are interested in.
It is pretty good at filtering, and you get the type of news you are interested in. I have been using it for some time and have found several interesting cases that way. You can also set the number of stories you want in each catagory and what order you want the catagories to appear in.

mysteriew said:
You can personalize google to always show the news when you go to that site. If you note on the right of the page, you can further personalize the page by adding keywords that you want to see in your news. I have added things like cold cases, missing person, and unidentified or skeletal remains and etc. That way when you go there, you have lots of current news on type of cases you are interested in.
I have set my homepage for Google and also to show all the news, except for BBC... but I cannot seem to find where to set my preferences. I did find the advanced search and tried to set it with the same words you used but it still only comes up when I open my homepage with recent news such as the War in Iraq. I must be doing something wrong... or setting the options in the wrong section. Will you please explain it a little more.

When looking at the news page, check the top and make sure it is showing customized news page. If not then click on that.
Then looking at the page, on the right it says edit this customized page. Click. That brings up a box with top stories, us, health etc in it. You can decrease the amt. of stories in each of those if you want by clicking on each topic, and changing the number of articles you want it to show. Then at the bottom of that box, it says add a standard section and add a custom section (custom is where I added the keywords).
Top stories cannot be moved, so I reduced the number of articles to the minimum. After you have set your keywords, then you can click and drag each of the other topics to the order you wish to see them in.
Put the ones you are less interested in at the bottom. So your arrangements ends up with a minimal number of top stories at the top, then the rest of the the other articles below that. Under each topic you can choose the number of articles you wish to see, up to a maximum of 9. To set the number of articles on each topic, you can click on the topic, it takes you to a different page where you can edit the number of articles you wish to see.

Thanks Mysteriew :innocent:

I have it set up now and it is working great. I usually use IE and have it set to Yahoo, but I had downloaded Mozilla FireFox and had it set to Google but had never really worked with it.

That was a wonderful tip you posted :clap: ... I hope it helps others too.

bugaboo said:
Great! Thanks for the tip! :woohoo:

I was cleaning out my bookmarks and thought I would add the others, as there are a lot of new faces (names) in here!

Another new resource.
Google is alpha testing a program called 'Come to my head' (weird name).
It is a news search engine, and seems pretty good. I put in an old case and it brought up a news article I hadn't seen before (an old article).
So it might be useful in finding old articles and getting at least a lttle of the info in it as it quotes quite a bit of the article. In the name I was looking up, the article had been removed from the news site, but much of the info was in the search engine.
http://newsengine.di.unipi.it/news-bin/comeToMyHead?p=1

It also has a section where it saves any articles you click on, so that if you need to go back and check, your history is saved for you.

This looks interesting.
Have you ever wanted to find a mug shot of a case you are working on? This site seems to collect mugshots. Database isn't that large....yet. But the idea seems promising.

http://www.mugshots.com/index.php

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn
Back