UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greater Than

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
do75ld.jpg

https://www.suffolk.police.uk/sites/suffolk/files/page/downloads/corriemckeague-missing-poster.pdf

Fears growing for missing RAF serviceman who vanished after night out

Concerns were growing today for the safety of a young military policeman who vanished after a night out and may have tried to walk eight miles back to his base.

[...]

Camera operators saw him getting up and walking off - but he failed to return to Honington, the headquarters of the RAF Force Protection who guard UK military installations around the world.

Despite an appeal to motorists, villagers along the serviceman’s route and a search by the Suffolk police helicopter there has been no trace of him.

Corrie is described as white, 5ft 10ins tall, medium build, with short light brown hair. He was wearing a light-pink polo shirt and white jeans when last seen.

Thread #1

Thanks for the new thread!
I have been reading the family updates and all the stuff about D notices. Clearly there are things we're not being told, all I hope is that there is more going on behind the scenes than it looks from the outside.

So... Corrie's brother has said Corrie is not a medic but it says on the find Corrie website that he's a team medic. What's the difference?

Hey !

Sleeping in his car OR going for a taxi OR walking home ....

...I saw today that Corrie owns a niffty little (blue) BMW Z4.

Not a great car to leave in a car park overnight in a city centre ?
Not a great car to sleep in ?

Saved the pic from the FB page (which came from Instagram, I believe).

If the comments on the FB page are correct & a "D-Notice" has been issued, wouldn't the investigation be taken over by military police instead of local constabulary?

Just catching up on the find Corrie Facebook page.

One post from Corrie's brother says that there are hours of CCTV of Corrie from before the clips we have seen showing nothing suspicious. Only when he goes to the bins and disappears.

My question here that still hasn't been cleared up is whether the CCTV camera of him going to the bins stays on that spot (operator controlled) or turns on a auto sweep.

It is a massive difference if the camera turned away or not. If car(s) were parked at the back of those shops and the camera was on a auto sweep it could have left without being seen.

If it did stay looking in that area and not see anything at all.......it becomes even more weird.

Could someone with Facebook ask the question about the CCTV? I don't have an account....

Is there any standard length of time when this could change from Corrie being considered a missing person to being reported/ treated as going AWOL?

At the start we were told that Corrie often walked back to base from Bury. Later we were informed that Corrie had never walked back to base. The contradiction seemed strange. Do you think the family were forced to retract this due to safety concerns over other military personnel, if word was out that they all frequently walked back?

At the start we were told that Corrie often walked back to base from Bury. Later we were informed that Corrie had never walked back to base. The contradiction seemed strange. Do you think the family were forced to retract this due to safety concerns over other military personnel, if word was out that they all frequently walked back?

Maybe it was a possibility that he "could have".
If your son had "gone missing", you would think of every and any possible explanation.

I think the likely facts are, he wouldn't walk home.

My own take on it was that the family had perhaps been told in the immediate aftermath that he'd walked previously. Then, when they were going over every detail looking for answers, they may have realised he'd never personally mentioned walking home to any of them and so they shouldn't assume it was correct. I might be well off the mark but it would make some sort of sense to me.

My old hometown is very close to Bury, they have huge banners and a lot of posters of Corrie in the area.

So... Corrie's brother has said Corrie is not a medic but it says on the find Corrie website that he's a team medic. What's the difference?
A lot of what is on that page is incorrect. Corrie is a Gunner in the RAF Regiment and a member of II Squadron RAF Regiment. Gunner is his trade (https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/roles/roles-finder/force-protection/raf-regiment-gunner/). As a secondary role he is the nominated medic for his team when they are deployed. So he probably has a little bit of extra training compared to the rest of his team.
A RAF medic - that is a trade in its own right and usually a non combat role and they would work in the Station medical centre or field hospital if deployed.

Is there any standard length of time when this could change from Corrie being considered a missing person to being reported/ treated as going AWOL?

I would think AWOL is the least likeliest scenario. AWOLs don't leave behind everything and then not use their credit cards or bank accounts.

If the comments on the FB page are correct & a "D-Notice" has been issued, wouldn't the investigation be taken over by military police instead of local constabulary?
The Military would be working hard on this anyway I would think. The D notice would have nothing to do with Suffolk Police involvement only what can be reported by the media.

<modsnip>

A note on Suffolk Constabulary. It is one of the smallest constabularies in the U.K.
In 2006 they were faced with a "serial killer" who eventually murdered five prostitutes in just over one month. Once the killings were linked, the force launched a murder investigation (Op Sumac) and drafted in support from several other forces. It was reported afterwards, that the force had been stretched to the limit with this investigation and several senior officers were particularly worried.

Thankfully the murderer was arrested quickly. But the scale of the operation was quite incredible. Initially about 300 officers worked on the case. This figure rose to 650 officers (from other forces) including senior detectives from Scotland Yard's Murder Inquiry team.

I have no idea of the resources deployed by Suffolk police in this case, but I imagine it is "a lot". Not only have they got to run the investigation in Bury St Edmunds and collect data of the potential sightings of Corrie, but also they have to collect the data of "where Corrie wasn't". Add to that, they have to run a vast search over a mainly rural area.

And then there is pressure from "the time of year". Not sure what winter is like in that area, but it could hamper operations, search-wise.

I think the bin lorry driver knows something. He (his phone) travels,in that direction. Accident by the bins? Lorry accidentally runs him over?

All MTO (my thoughts/theory only) at this moment in time after reviewing the timeline

The actual locals could tell you more about the winter weather conditions there, but I'm only about 30 or 40 miles away I think. Fog would be the main potentially problematic condition between here and the New Year. I wouldn't expect a lot in the way of snow or ice until January, but every year is different.

I really hope this isn't going to drag out that long. It's driving me crazy that there's no news yet...and I know it's a million times worse for Corrie's family :-(

Where was his car?

AWOL don't leave behind precious pugs &#55357;&#56866;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members