Mobile phone rudeness plumbs new depths

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
A woman has robbed four banks in Washington's suburbs without interrupting conversations on her mobile phone.

A sheriff's spokesman says in the most recent robbery, the woman walked up to a bank teller and opened her purse to show a handgun, and a note demanding cash.

He says the woman kept talking throughout the robbery as she had apparently done on three previous occasions during similar robberies in the area.

No one was injured in the incidents, and the amount taken has not been disclosed.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200511/s1505178.htm

I saw a video of the robbery on CNN I believe. Wow she had a LOT of nerve!! There is a link to the video on the CNN website.

www.cnn.com

Wouldn't that make it even easier to catch her? Couldn't they get a search warrant for the numbers bouncing off the closest tower during that interval and then sort through the owner data to find her? (Especially since they could compare numbers from the three robberies.) If it's a pre-paid cell phone, it wouldn't be as easy, but it still might be possible. This seems as if it might be a "dumb criminal" story eventually.

It's only a matter of time before someone identifies her from the bank footage. How dumb - don't even TRY to cover up your face.

hi cass! what a clever way to act unsuspicious. who would think someone on a cell phone would be paying enough attention to even rob a bank! fortunately she's dumb enough to get her picture taken in the process.

Hi everyone! Could it be possible that she is talking to someone and they are giving her instructions? Probably a long shot but uuummmmmmm

Police have theorized that she may be talking with an accomplice. Maybe a lookout. Or that she may not actually be talking with anyone. They say her conversation seems to consist mostly of "yes, uh huh, ok" and similiar comments.

Well - this "new cell phone approach" may be a weird way to rob a bank - but, hey - it's worked 4 times in a row for this gal. Simply Amazing!!

Personally, I think she's nuts to jeopardize the rest of her young life to one spent *behind bars". That said - who knows, maybe she won't be caught. In each of the 4 Wachovia banks she robbed - the employee had the option to sound a silent alarm or insert an exploding dye pack. Didn't happen. Why not?

My thought is that the perpetrator had "inside info" regarding Wachovia Bank policies.

Did she or an accomplice work for Wachovia?

Why wasn't an alarm accessed?

It's my understanding that *a gun in her purse* was only shown on the last robbery. Why would a bank teller fill up a shoebox with cash just from a note ordering it by some chick on a cell phone? :confused: This is too weird!

I have to wonder if the woman committing the hold-ups was wearing a (persona changing) wig and very different make-up (& clothes) than the way she normally looks? Still not a very good disguise though ...

As a side note - people walking around in stores, restaurants, banks and numerous public places yakking loudly & endlessly on their mobile phones & rudely disturbing others around them .. is one of my biggest pet peeves. The 2 way speaker phone conversations for all to hear are the absolute worst!

I just have to ask - "what is the matter with these ill-mannered people????" :banghead:

13th Juror

Any further updates on this brazen cell phone bank robber chick??

I haven't seen anything more about her on the news. Amazing - she has not yet been identified - much less, "caught".

13th Juror

I can't believe this...one of the things I hate the most is a rude person in line in front of me or behind me on a cell phone trying to rob a bank...
I hate that!

Toby said:
I can't believe this...one of the things I hate the most is a rude person in line in front of me or behind me on a cell phone trying to rob a bank...
I hate that!

I agree, Toby. Dont'cha just hate it when that happens?!

Geesh! Sooo annoying! <LOL>

Hope they catch her! :D

13th Juror

Police have issued an arrest warrant for a woman who they believe is the so-called "cell phone bandit" who talked on a cell phone while allegedly robbing several area banks in northern Virginia.

Candice Rose Martinez, 19, of Chantilly, Va., was charged with one count of robbery. Loudoun County officials said Martinez should be considered armed and dangerous.
http://www.channelcincinnati.com/irresistible/5319950/detail.html

Toby said:
I hate that!

There are signs at my post office and local bank branch that say "We will not serve you if you are talking on a cell phone. If you must use your phone, please move to the back of the line." It has been incredibly effective. I absolutely HATE being in line behind someone who's yakking away about all their personal business while simultaneously holding up the whole line of people.

Has anyone seen that commercial where the guy is in the bank talking on his cell phone? He walks up to the teller and then yells to his friend on the phone "You're being robbed!", obviously in reference to something else. It's hilarious!

I thought of that when I heard of this case. :crazy:

Yakwoman said:
It's only a matter of time before someone identifies her from the bank footage. How dumb - don't even TRY to cover up your face.

Maybe she's wearing a disquise and actually looks nothing like herself?

Mabel said:
Maybe she's wearing a disquise and actually looks nothing like herself?

Evidently they were able to id her. She has a name and a warrant now. See above post.

<form class="yqin" action="http://yq.search.yahoo.com/search" method="post"> <input name="p" value="&quot;FBI&quot;" type="hidden"> <input name="sourceOrder" value="c1,i,yn,c3" type="hidden"> <input name="c1" value="<p style=&quot;font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-weight:bold;font-size:13px;padding:0;margin-top:1em;margin-bottom:.5em;&quot;>FBI</p>" type="hidden">FBI agents arrested a woman Tuesday who was suspected of robbing four banks in suburban Virginia while appearing to be talking on a cell phone.
</form> Candice R. Martinez, 19, was arrested just before 4 a.m. at a home in nearby Centreville, Va., after an FBI agent spotted a car nearby with license plates they had been searching for.

The FBI had issued a bulletin a few hours earlier saying Martinez and her boyfriend could be heading to Texas, New Mexico or New York, said Debbie Weierman, a spokeswoman from the FBI's Washington Field Office.

"It was a wonderful stroke of luck that (the agent) happened to spot that license plate, and everything unfolded safely and without incident," Weierman told WRC-TV.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051115/ap_on_re_us/cell_phone

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back