1151 users online (302 members and 849 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

WI - Viveka Hawkins, 4 mos, smothered by drunk mom, Oshkosh, 23 Feb 2005

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,175386,00.html

I can't figure out why she still had the child with her being that she is on probation for neglect.

2sisters that link didn't work. I am going to post this one to see if it works.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,175386,00.html

That is strange. The two urls appear to be identical, yet when I click on the first link it shows as a bad link, yet the second link works for me.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

A 4-month-old girl died when her inebriated mother fell asleep on top of her while breast-feeding, prosecutors said.

Lorinda Hawkins told police she fell asleep about 15 minutes after she started breast-feeding the baby Feb. 23 because of her intoxication, a criminal complaint said. When she woke up about an hour later, the baby was pale and wasn't breathing, the complaint said.

Hawkins was charged Friday with one count of child neglect causing a death. If convicted as a repeat felony offender, she could be sentenced to 29 years in prison and fined $100,000.

Tragic Story

This is so sad, but it really irritates me that the media is using the bait that this was a "death after breastfeeding" as if that had anything to do with the baby dying!!!

This baby is dead because the incompetent, drunk ass "mother" had one (or five) too many drinks and rolled over on her and killed her. She could have been laying down giving her a bottle and done the same damn thing.

It just makes better headlines this way.

Of course, it doesn't help that this woman hasn't won any awards for Mother of the Year, and apparently DFCS left the baby with her a little too long. Oops.

Ugh.

Thanks for fixing the link, don't know why it didn't work. Number 1 the child shouldn't have been with her to begin with , number 2 everyone knows you arent supposed to drink alcohol while nursing.

I know what you mean angelmom, I clicked on the story b/c I actually thought breastfeeding had something to do with the death.

From July 2006:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/07...hen-drunk.html

A woman accused of smothering her 4-month-old daughter when she passed out drunk while nursing the child was sentenced to seven years in prison.

Judge Robert Hawley told Lorinda J. Hawkins, who is pregnant, that her alcohol abuse likened her to a drunken driver who kills another motorist...

Hawkins, 28, pleaded no contest in April to one felony count of child neglect resulting in death.