GUILTY WI - Viveka Hawkins, 4 mos, smothered by drunk mom, Oshkosh, 23 Feb 2005

A 4-month-old girl died when her inebriated mother fell asleep on top of her while breast-feeding, prosecutors said.

Lorinda Hawkins told police she fell asleep about 15 minutes after she started breast-feeding the baby Feb. 23 because of her intoxication, a criminal complaint said. When she woke up about an hour later, the baby was pale and wasn't breathing, the complaint said.

Hawkins was charged Friday with one count of child neglect causing a death. If convicted as a repeat felony offender, she could be sentenced to 29 years in prison and fined $100,000.

Tragic Story :(

This is so sad, but it really irritates me that the media is using the bait that this was a "death after breastfeeding" as if that had anything to do with the baby dying!!! :furious:

This baby is dead because the incompetent, drunk *advertiser censored* "mother" had one (or five) too many drinks and rolled over on her and killed her. She could have been laying down giving her a bottle and done the same damn thing.

It just makes better headlines this way.

Of course, it doesn't help that this woman hasn't won any awards for Mother of the Year, and apparently DFCS left the baby with her a little too long. Oops.

Ugh.

Thanks for fixing the link, don't know why it didn't work. Number 1 the child shouldn't have been with her to begin with , number 2 everyone knows you arent supposed to drink alcohol while nursing.

I know what you mean angelmom, I clicked on the story b/c I actually thought breastfeeding had something to do with the death.

From July 2006:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/0...mothering-child-while-nursing-when-drunk.html

A woman accused of smothering her 4-month-old daughter when she passed out drunk while nursing the child was sentenced to seven years in prison.

Judge Robert Hawley told Lorinda J. Hawkins, who is pregnant, that her alcohol abuse likened her to a drunken driver who kills another motorist...

Hawkins, 28, pleaded no contest in April to one felony count of child neglect resulting in death.

This woman is my birth mom and she did kill my sister and left and choose everything over the most important things her kids and for that I will always be upset with her for because she ruined my child hood but right now she has a job and a 4 year old son and her own life... She has been doing really great.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back