Check out this Pit Bull

forthekids

Reaction score
Here is a neat article about a pit bull in a local MN newspaper and this pittie is from a rescue group. How cool....

Dogs that excel at the disc club event have a high drive

Tue, Nov 1, 2005

display_single.asp

display_single.asp

RECREATION
Andrew Yori could tell immediately that his new best friend was full of energy.
Yori adopted Wallace, a two-year-old American pit bull terrier, from a rescue less than a year ago. Yori didn't have to look far to find an outlet for Wallace's energy, an outlet that has helped both of them stay in good physical shape and form a closer bond.

Yori is a charter member of the Minnesota Disc Dog Club, and Wallace is one of its prize pupils. Josh Grenell, a friend of Yori's, operates the club.

Yori, Grenell and Wallace recently teamed to finish second in a pairs competition at a national disc dog event in Atlanta.

Dogs that excel at these sports have a high drive and lots of energy,'' Yori said. "Wallace was a natural. I got lucky that way. That's why in less than a year he can compete at this level.''

Wallace proved to be a quick learner.

He received the highest score of the pairs freestyle championship round at last month's Skyhoundz 2005 National Championships.

Grenell tossed discs that Wallace caught in a variety of ways, including vaulting off of Yori's back and snatching them out of the air while being held by Yori.

"It really involves anything you can think of as far as tricks go,'' Yori said. "You get two minutes and the slate is clean to use whatever tricks you can come up with. The key to pairs is the flow between the two (humans). It's difficult to get your dog to listen to someone else's commands and there are only certain tricks you can do with two people,''

Yori and Grenell apparently work well together. It was the first time they had competed in a pairs freestyle competition together.

They teamed with Grenell's dog, Wazee, to place third in the same competition. Wallace and Wazee finished with identical scores of 79.0 in the two-round competition, with Wallace earning second place on a tie-breaker. They were just a half of a point behind the winning team.

"I actually forgot part of the routine,'' Yori said. "It's usually the people who make mistakes, not the dogs.''

Training and exercise schedules should be tailored for each dog, Yori said.

"Wallace is built like a tank,'' Yori said, "so it's important for him to go on long jogs.

"He doesn't need more muscle, but in summer during competitions it can be very hot, so he and I need to be in good shape.''

That's where the Minnesota Disc Dog Club comes in. The club is open to all breeds of dogs and owners.

"Not everybody in the club needs or wants to work their dog every day,'' Yori said.

"Our members can be serious about entering competitions or just be out there for fun. You can go at whatever level you feel comfortable with. There are some people still learning to throw a Frisbee.

"Plus, it's just lots of fun. The bond I've created with my dogs is more important than any trophy I'll win.''

hmmm, the pictures don't seem to be poping up, I must have done something wrong??

Wonder if he/she thinks the frisbee is something else??? Pretty vicious looking face it has.

Jules said:
Wonder if he/she thinks the frisbee is something else??? Pretty vicious looking face it has.

You really think his face looks vicious? I think he looks like he is so intent on catching that frisbee--I'd describe the look as concentration!

He looks like a furry gremlin! Looks like concentration to me too.

No, Guys, I wasn't really being serious - although I wouldn't want to be the frisbee. :D

Jules said:
No, Guys, I wasn't really being serious - although I wouldn't want to be the frisbee. :D
Hard to know sarcasm when it is in writing. I wouldn't want to be a frisbee either. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back