685 users online (128 members and 557 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearkoda View Post
    I think that's a bit unfair to say.. they could be impartial and still all come to an agreement fairly quickly. That said, they do have a lot to go over so I suspect it will take a while
    There is a lot to go over, and my opinion it will take days is based on believing it highly unlikely all of those jurors are going to quickly agree on much of anything, other than on the charges relating to minors.
    RIP, Cassini. To her tireless overseers- job well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearkoda View Post
    I think that's a bit unfair to say.. they could be impartial and still all come to an agreement fairly quickly. That said, they do have a lot to go over so I suspect it will take a while
    True. They must decide if it was an accident. If not they have to decide which murder count applies

Corpus Christi, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
    It'll take days if the jury is impartial and does their job.
    That is really unfair to say. It is their job to decide, and if they are all on one side or all on the other, that is their prerogative. This jury was very carefully selected and has been well educated on their duty. Just because you think he is innocent doesn't mean the jury is partial if they come back quickly with the opposite opinion. I tend to think you'll only think they are biased if they come back quickly with a guilty verdict, but if they come back quickly with a not guilty verdict you won't mind that it took them a short amount of time. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TexMex View Post
    True. They must decide if it was an accident. If not they have to decide which murder count applies
    If they follow their instructions, what they will deliberate first is whether or not the State met it's burden of proof that RH intended to kill Cooper. After that, the burden of proof required to convict on 1st degree CC, then 2nd degree CC, including a finding for each that RH acted with criminal negligence. Those charges are predicates for the felony murder charges, not stand-alone murder charges.

If they follow their instructions, what they will deliberate first is whether or not the State met it's burden of proof that RH intended to kill Cooper. After that, the burden of proof required to convict on 1st degree CC then 2nd degree CC, including a finding that RH acted with criminal negligence. Those charges are predicates for the felony murder charges, not stand-alone murder charges.
    That's right. They have to determine that state proved beyond a reasonable doubt that he deliberately committed murder and also prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it was not an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
    I'm not expecting a hasty verdict. Jury has many charges to consider, lots of evidence to consider, videos to review, etc. This will take time, and I hope they DO take time to carefully consider all aspects of the case. Justice for Cooper!
    They only have to look at the evidence if they have a reason too. They will only look at the videos if there is a disagreement and look back on (like we have done) They may not have a need to as a group. jmho

If they follow their instructions, what they will deliberate first is whether or not the State met it's burden of proof that RH intended to kill Cooper. After that, the burden of proof required to convict on 1st degree CC, then 2nd degree CC, including a finding for each that RH acted with criminal negligence. Those charges are predicates for the felony murder charges, not stand-alone murder charges.

Yep. But if they feel it was an accident they could finish deliberations before sundown . If not it's one of the two felony murders (underlying felony being one of the cruelty charges) or malice murder.

Corpus Christi, Texas

If the jury votes guilty on count 1, do they still have to deliberate on counts 2-5? I think deliberating on charges 6-8 will be quick and not require much time to reach a verdict on.

~self delete
    Last edited by FinallyRegistered; 11-07-2016 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by minor4th View Post
    That's right. They have to determine that state proved beyond a reasonable doubt that he deliberately committed murder and also prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it was not an accident.
    They also have to start at the top, and work way down correct?

Quote Originally Posted by TexMex View Post
    Yep. But if they feel it was an accident they could finish deliberations before sundown . If not it's one of the two felony murders (underlying felony being one of the cruelty charges) or malice murder.
    I'm not sure the jury MUST convict on felony murder, even if they find him guilty on or one or both of the CC cruelty charges. The felony murder charges are separate charges, requiring a separate vote.

I'm on the east coast. It's almost 5pm, and this is a sideBAR thread.....you thinking what I'm thinking?

Cheers...as we await the jury's decision.

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasmimi View Post
    They also have to start at the top, and work way down correct?
    Not really. Some of the charges have to do with a crime being committed while committing another crime, right? So they have to deliberate on the "other crime" (sexting to minor) first. I think the sexting to minor is a no-brainer, though.

Can someone repost the charges again? (I'm thinking someone has them handy.)

jmo

Edited because the person I was quoting edited their own post, so I didn't want it left up.

Self delete after another self delete. Leaving only this part - that it's really good advice to scroll on by, and sometimes the Ignore button is a WS'ers best friend.
    Last edited by Hope4More; 11-07-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast