Fieger Scandal

Norma

Pook
Reaction score
http://www.wxyztv.com/wxyz/nw_local_news/article/0,2132,WXYZ_15924_4229047,00.html

There were new developments, Thursday, in the scandal involving Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox and defense lawyer Geoffrey Fieger.

Wednesday, Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox went public with an extramarital affair, claiming Attorney Geoffrey Fieger had threatened to expose it unless Cox stopped investigating Fieger for alleged illegal campaign contributions in the 2004 elections.

:doh: :laugh: Mike Cox...

Right up there with Fanny Krach and Harry Hips.

I guess Cox's announcement was on TV, but I missed it. They said his wife was next to him, crying. People said it was horrible.

This just in -

They may be filing charges against Fieger as early as tomorrow.

I think they said extortion. But I've yet to see any of this in print, and maybe they had it a little wrong when I watched the news (and hey, I was sort of trying to fall asleep when I heard it).

Other news:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/cgi-bin/article.pl?articleId=28289

Cox: Fieger associate threatened disclosure

Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox said Wednesday that Lee O’Brien, an associate of attorney Geoffrey Fieger, threatened an extramarital affair of Cox’s would be disclosed if Cox did not stop investigating a $457,000 donation Fieger made during the 2004 Michigan Supreme Court races.

O’Brien could not be reached, but Fieger said he is not an associate.

Fieger said in a statement that “Cox’s false accusations against me underscore that he is not qualified to be in a position of trust.”

Cox is a Republican. Fieger, of Southfield-based Fieger, Fieger, Kenney & Johnson, announced in October an exploratory committee for the Democratic nomination for attorney general.

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051113/OPINION01/511130637/1086/opinion

A shame: Sex, extortion accusations sully attorney general race

At its worst, politics makes citizens long for a cleansing shower. Somebody get the soap.

Last week, Michigan residents witnessed one of the tawdriest scenes ever to reach the state's political stage.

In one breath, Michigan's attorney general, a family-values Republican, admitted to having had an extramarital affair.

And before his tears could dry during a hastily-called press conference, Mike Cox said that controversial Michigan lawyer Geoffrey Fieger was at the root of Cox's confession; and that Fieger could be guilty of extortion and obstruction of justice.

Fieger, a possible Democrat for attorney general in 2006, is being investigated by Cox for alleged improper campaign donations in the 2004 Michigan Supreme Court election. Cox says that Fieger, through an associate, attempted to get Cox to drop the investigation by threatening to reveal Cox had had an affair. Fieger vehemently denies a connection to the threats.

If the allegations are proven true, Fieger could be found guilty of extortion and obstruction of justice. Oakland County law enforcement officials are investigating,

No charges:

PONTIAC, Mich. -- The Oakland County prosecutor said no charges will be brought in an alleged plot to blackmail Michigan's attorney general by threatening to expose an extramarital affair.

At issue were charges of extortion or obstruction of justice in a case involving Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox and trial attorney Geoffrey Fieger.

"I believe there was a conspiracy involved somehow, but I cannot meet my burden of proof," said David Gorcyca, the Oakland County Prosecutor.

Gorcyca said although a conspiracy probably did take place, he does not have sufficient evidence to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.

"Neither Mr. Fieger or Mr. O'Brien should claim victory, act virtuous or gloat," Gorcyca said. "Far from it. In my opinion -- and based upon my review of the fact -- the evidence soundly convinces me that a severe and reprehensible ethical violation or violations were committed by both Mr. Fieger and Mr. O'Brien."

Fieger called for Cox's resignation in a news conference Tuesday afternoon for the attorney general's "unethical and felonious acts."

More at Click on Detroit

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back