GUILTY UK - Robert Trigg and the deaths of sleeping women

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Telegraph:

Chef arrested on suspicion of murder as police
re-examine the deaths of two sleeping women

A former chef has been arrested on suspicion of murdering two women, five years apart, including his girlfriend who died after he rolled over as they slept.

Robert Trigg, then 47, was ruled at an inquest to have accidentally crushed 52-year-old Susan Nicholson after they cuddled up on a sofa in April 2011.

But after new forensic evidence emerged, a re-investigation into how she died was begun earlier this year, and Sussex Police have now linked Ms Nicholson's death with that of 35-year-old Caroline Devlin five years earlier.
---
the rest, with pictures, at link above

A "possessive, controlling" man killed two of his ex-girlfriends five years apart, with their deaths recorded at the time as being caused by accidental or natural causes, a court heard.

Robert Trigg, 52, is accused of murdering 52-year-old Susan Nicholson, whose body was found on a sofa they had both slept on in Rowlands Road, Worthing, West Sussex, on April 17 2011. Trigg is also charged with the manslaughter of another former girlfriend, Caroline Devlin, 35, who was found dead in bed on Mothers' Day by one of her children as they went to ask what she wanted for breakfast at home in Cranworth Road, Worthing, on March 26 2006.

Read more at: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/re...former-girlfriends-five-years-apart-1-8015865

BBM That's too sad.

The trial heard that after both causes of death were re-assessed by pathologist Dr Nathaniel Cary, he concluded Ms Nicholson was suffocated after having her head deliberately forced into the bed.

He also found that mother-of-four Ms Devlin's death was caused by a blow to the back of her head.

Jurors were told that both women had been subjected to violence during their relationships with Trigg.

Read more at: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/re...former-girlfriends-five-years-apart-1-8015865

(just a further extract from above linked article)

I don't know why they say the second was manslaughter but the first was murder.

I don't know why they say the second was manslaughter but the first was murder.

Ah I think I've got that the wrong way around. Ok they're saying the first was manslaughter (blow to back of her head) and the second was murder (suffocation).

So glad to have found a thread for this case, only just read about it on the news today. Must have been some intense investigation to get him charged.

Very similar article to Tortoise's Plymouth Herald link, but posting for reference:

http://www.worthingherald.co.uk/new...-is-capable-of-instinctive-violence-1-8017563

...The court also heard evidence outlined by Mr Atkinson from former partners of Mr Trigg, who all confirmed his violent and jealous behaviour.

In November 2003, more than two years before Ms Devlin’s death, Trigg was cautioned by police for punching and kicking his then-girlfriend Susan Holland in the head and face, which hospitalised her for three weeks.

The case continues.

[FONT=&quot]Neighbour Hannah Cooper said Ms Nicholson and Trigg had a "volatile and violent" relationship, with rows fuelled by alcohol and police being called at least six times following bust-ups between them.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In March 2011, Trigg was cautioned by police for battery relating to a row he had with Ms Nicholson who was punched in the face.

---

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]At 8.51am on April 17, Trigg called Ms Cooper and said: "It's Sue, I think she's dead."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Trigg's phone records showed he bought cigarettes from a nearby shop then called his brother Michael before phoning Ms Cooper who dialled 999, Mr Atkinson said.

---

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Dr Cary had never come across a case of an adult overlaying in such a manner, and that he would not have expected this to happen between two adults.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He considered accidental airway obstruction to be the least likely possibility in Ms Nicholson's case.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And he concluded that his findings "most readily fit with enforced airway obstruction, potentially through a combination of the face being forced down into yielding material such as fabric... in combination with compression of the chest, giving rise to a rise in venous pressure".

---

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]More than two years before Ms Devlin's death, Trigg was cautioned by police for common assault on a woman called Susan Holland in November 2003, jurors heard.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Trigg accused Ms Holland of sleeping with one of her neighbours, and he called police, telling them: "I'm going to kill her. You need to arrest me."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And more recently, Mr Atkinson said Trigg pleaded guilty to violent behaviour towards his then girlfriend, Caroline O'Toole, last year.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]She said: "When he drinks he is a completely different person, he is like Jekyll and Hyde."

---
Ms Benger, who described Ms Devlin as a "lovely lady", recalled finding out about the discovery of her friend's body from Ms Devlin's eldest son who knocked on her door, telling her: "We can't wake mummy."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1535...jealous__towards_his_girlfriends__court_told/

(I think this report is a summary of yesterday's proceedings.)
[/FONT]

418CED8E00000578-4617890-Caroline_Devlin_pictured_alongside_her_daughters_in_an_undated_F-a-6_1497962171783.jpg

Her children were making her a Mother's Day breakfast when one of her sons, Jordan, who was 14 at the time, went to wake her up and discovered Ms Devlin's body.
The court heard today that Ms Devlin's then 10-year-old daughter was the first to find her, but thought her mother was in a deep sleep, and went back to making her breakfast.

Jordan's friend, Jack Herrington, was staying at the house in Worthing, West Sussex, the night she died on March 26, 2006.

The two teenage boys went up to her loft room she occasionally shared with Trigg and found her head at the 'wrong end' of the bed.

An emotional Jordan told the jury: 'The plan was to wake mum up on Mother's Day and cook her breakfast.

'During the day she seemed happy, joyful, we were playing around in the living room having a laugh. I came out of my bedroom and Robert said 'there's something wrong with your mum'. He was at the top of the stairs leading up to the loft room.

(more to read at link)

Trigg denies one count of manslaughter against Caroline in March 2006

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-boyfriend-didn-t-call-999.html#ixzz4kdnJ4MW2

[FONT=&amp]In a statement read to the court Ms Devlin's then 10-year-old daughter Cody McKenna said she had been making her mum a Mother's Day breakfast in the kitchen when she head Trigg leave the house.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Mum was lying on her stomach. She looked like she was lying in the recovery position. I thought she was just asleep.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]...

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"Five minutes later I heard [her bothers] Jordan and Brandon come running downstairs screaming."
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Brandon McKenna, who was 9 at the time, told the court in a statement: "I have always been uncomfortable with the fact that Rob got fully dressed before telling us something was wrong with mum."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1536...ment_they_found_their_lifeless_mother_in_bed/
[/FONT]

A bit more from Caroline Devlin's daughters.

The court heard how the 35-year-old had moved with her children from Scotland to Worthing after separating from their father.

Miss Devlin, who worked at Worthing Football Club’s ‘snack shack’, was due to start a new job at the probation service the day after she died.

In a statement read in court, her daughter Codie McKenna said she ‘would never forget’ the date of her mother’s death because it was the day before her 11th birthday. After being taken to her neighbour Bridget Benger’s house, she remembered being given one of her birthday presents from her mother to play with while paramedics and police officers were in her home.

She said: “It only struck me that mum was never going to come back when we were asked to pick out some clothes for her [funeral].”

Miss Devlin’s daughter Gemma McKenna also wrote a statement which was read in court.

She said she ‘took an instant dislike’ to Trigg when she met him, aged 14, in 2003, adding he was ‘sullen and depressive’ and made no effort with her or her siblings.

On the day her mother died, she said she had heard loud noises coming from her mother’s bedroom in the early hours of the morning, before everything went quiet.

Read more at: http://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/n...und-body-of-his-happy-joyful-mother-1-8019079

[FONT=&quot]Post mortem examination at the time suggested the pair died of natural causes – but the causes of death have been reassessed by pathologist Dr Nathaniel Cary. The doctor believed Miss Devlin could have been killed by a blow to the back of her neck and having her head deliberately forced into the pillow and said Miss Nicholson’s death was not likely to be accidental. The court also heard evidence outlined by Mr Atkinson from former partners of Mr Trigg, who all confirmed his violent and jealous behaviour.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Read more at: http://www.worthingherald.co.uk/new...-is-capable-of-instinctive-violence-1-8017563

I don't know how a blow to the neck and having her head forced into a pillow can be classified as manslaughter. I would have thought a charge of murder with an alternative of manslaughter would be more fitting. [/FONT]

The both deaths should be charges of murder. He intended to kill them. Then an alternative charge of manslaughter as another option. I will never understand how they arrive at these charges. He intended to kill them and very nearly got away with it..

There seem to have been some serious failings at the original postmortems, particularly as to the cause of Miss Devlin's death. Sudden 'accidental' deaths of young women under strange circumstances really should raise red flags imo.

I don't understand why it is a manslaughter charge either.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back