NOTGUILTY Australia - Warriena Wright, 26, dies in balcony fall, Surfers Paradise, Aug 2014 #12

MsAnais

Verified Clinical Psychologist (AU)
Reaction score
The young woman in this case apparently met the man whose apartment she fell from on Tinder. Police are calling the death suspicious and the investigation is continuing.

Police have positively identified a woman who died after she fell from a Surfers Paradise high-rise apartment building.

The woman has been identified as 26-year-old Warriena Tagpuno Wright from Lower Hutt, New Zealand.

Around 2.20am on Friday officers were called to the Wahroonga Place building after receiving reports that a woman had fallen from a balcony.

Police have confirmed the death is being treated as suspicious.

......The 28-year-old man who is the sole occupant of the apartment, Gable Tostee, was assisting police with inquiries on Friday afternoon. He was not formally arrested and no charges have been laid.

Tagpuno Wright was reportedly visiting Tostee after meeting him through an online dating app, believed to be Tinder, the Courier Mail reported.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/10367377/Kiwi-dies-after-Surfers-Paradise-balcony-fall

10367479.jpg

Gable Tostee, man at centre of investigations into Surfers Paradise highrise death plunge of Warriena Wright, charged with murder

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...plead-not-guilty/story-fnje8bkv-1227025428311

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10
Thread #11

Media/Timeline Thread

Gable Tostee found not guilty over death of Warriena Wright during Tinder date
Elle Hunt
Thursday 20 October 2016

Gable Tostee has been found not guilty of the murder or manslaughter of his Tinder date, Warriena Wright, after four days’ of deliberation by the jury in a case that has shone a light on the use of the dating app.

Tostee, a 30-year-old carpet fitter from the Gold Coast in Australia, walked free on Thursday after being cleared of killing Wright, 26, who fell to her death from his 14th-floor apartment.

Tostee did not comment to the waiting media throng as he left the supreme court in Brisbane but stood in silence next to his lawyer, who said his client “looking forward to moving on with his life”.

Wright’s family wept as the verdict was read out – as did members of Tostee’s family and some jurors.

[...]

The jury of six men and six women retired on Monday and spent four days deliberating before reaching a verdict of not guilty of murder or manslaughter.

Justice John Byrne had instructed the jury in his directions on Monday they could not find Tostee guilty just because they think he should have behaved differently. “It would be wrong for you to use any of the evidence ... as a base for the prosecution for murder.”

Byrne quoted the Hollywood director Billy Wilder to warn the jury “hindsight is always 20-20”.

Please pay attention folks !!

If you see a post that you believe violates TOS or that you think is offensive, do NOT respond to it. Use the Alert feature to notify Mods/Admin and let us handle it. Do not try to moderate the board on your own. If you do respond, you risk your post being deleted, or worse, a loss of posting privileges.

She had allegedly grown violent and he eventually 'bundled her up and carried her out the nearest door' in order to 'de-escalate' the situation.

But Tostee could not detail how he restrained the 26-year-old.

'I can't remember exactly,' Tostee said. 'I don't remember exact hand positions.'

Less than 30 seconds later, Warriena fell to her death and her final scream could be heard in the audio recording - but Tostee denied hearing it.

'I didn't hear her with my own ears,' he said.

'All I saw was her on the other side of the balcony, and then she vanished.'

He said he could not have predicted she would climb over the balcony 'to nothingness'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...h-floor-Gold-Coast-balcony.html#ixzz4PuEOcbD8

Quote Originally Posted by sosocurious

The strain of the past two years was most obvious in Gray Tostee, the only member of the family who came close to showing emotion in the interview, at one point getting close to tears as they were asked about the verdict.
Both he and his wife Helene expressed an unwavering belief in their son’s innocence, with Mrs Tostee, in particular, adamant her son had done nothing wrong.
She said the murder charge, laid a week after Ms Wright’s death was hard to process.
“I didn’t know why it was happening, to be called an accused murderer. My son. Knowing the type of person that he is — caring and considerate and thoughtful of others. Never harmed anyone else,” she told Bartlett.
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...c0098a70c544ab

Sounds to me that his mother knows him less than she thinks she does. Did she not read about his vile behaviour on the bodybuilding forum?

And there is no hiding his high range drunk dangerous driving charge, for which she well knows he was jailed, and well knows that he placed his passengers, police and other road users in danger. And there is no hiding that he was charged for fraudulently assisting under-age schoolies - about 500 of them - into places meant only for adults and thereby assisting them with access to alcohol and other adult activities.

Yet she still thinks he is caring, considerate, and thoughtful of others???

Therein may lie the origins of his distorted thinking. If you can do these things and still be told how caring, considerate and thoughtful of others you are by your own mother - one of the people who is meant to guide you in life, offer you corrections when you are not seeing the whole picture, discipline you when you are unruly ......

"Viewers slam Gable Tostee’s ‘scary’ 60 Minutes interview"

http://thenewdaily.com.au/entertainment/tv/2016/11/13/gable-tostee-60-minutes-2/

I've certainly seen this parallel mentioned in many places ....

"Viewers slammed the Queensland carpet layer’s performance as unconvincing and “scary”, with a number of them drawing comparisons between Mr Tostee and OJ Simpson, the former American football player acquitted of killing his ex-wife and her friend in 1995."

"Gable #Tostee got paid $125k by #60Mins to look even LESS sympathetic than before, if that was possible.
Great reverse PR strategy"

"There is something very, very wrong with Gable Tostee. It's unnerving and uncomfortable viewing."

"OMG his parents are as deluded as he is"

"AFTER two long years, Gable Tostee has broken his silence about the night Warriena Wright died.

Given the reaction to his 60 Minutes interview, however, the 30-year-old Gold Coaster may have been better to have maintained it.

......his explanations for his strange behaviour in the wake of his Tinder date’s fatal fall, appeared hollow and unconvincing.

“Well, you’d restrained her, Gable. You’d thrown her out there. I mean, you can hear her, her breathing. It’s choking.”
“You just don’t understand.”
But after this interview, its doubtless any of us ever will."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/en...k=e42c26f78eaafaa7390051b07526b51c-1479056505

Just seeing this case, and I watched several videos and articles today. (I am in the US) I was horrified at the audio of the argument before her death... hearing her screams sounded so terrifying. Whatever was happening at that moment, I had the gut feeling she was being harmed --- could he have tossed her over? I know he was found " not guilty", though I have not read why that conclusion came to be. However .... from the little I read/heard so far .... is it possible he made the tape and knew what to say to make it seem as though he was "just protecting himself, she was the violent one, he wanted her out"? And now has got away with murder....?

Sorry to intrude so late and not be up to date with everything. Thanks for letting me post here.

all just my my opinion at this time.

Yet to read the 60 Minutes' interview 'post mortem' but by the look of the last few posts on the previous thread, it will be nothing short of entertaining. I presume there were faeries.

OT The Hollow Crown was a quality re-visioning of a foolish king's fall from Grace. Heartily recommend watching it on demand.

In other news, never underestimate the intelligence and/or tenacity of WSers in their search for justice for victims:

The secret life of a websleuth and how they’re on the hunt for the Long Island serial killer

image.jpgimage.jpg

That's news to me that it's an offence to flee the scene of an accident. Link please.

So is there a rule of evidence with respect to the long metal objects' admissibility?

My theory is that given his convenient amnesia regarding how he restrained her is that he had a knife to her throat and made some kind of threatening motion hence why she jumped. But recognize that is not proof beyond reasonable doubt..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds to me that his mother knows him less than she thinks she does. Did she not read about his vile behaviour on the bodybuilding forum?

And there is no hiding his high range drunk dangerous driving charge, for which she well knows he was jailed, and well knows that he placed his passengers, police and other road users in danger. And there is no hiding that he was charged for fraudulently assisting under-age schoolies - about 500 of them - into places meant only for adults and thereby assisting them with access to alcohol and other adult activities.

Yet she still thinks he is caring, considerate, and thoughtful of others???

Therein may lie the origins of his distorted thinking. If you can do these things and still be told how caring, considerate and thoughtful of others you are by your own mother - one of the people who is meant to guide you in life, offer you corrections when you are not seeing the whole picture, discipline you when you are unruly ......

That statement was qualified with '[...] people he cares about' IIRC in one of the MSM articles linked in this or the previous thread. IMO Warriena did not fall into the narrow definition of 'people' Gable 'cares about'. There are very few 'people' who do IMO. Consider that when you envisage him walking the streets a free man.

So is there a rule of evidence with respect to the long metal objects' admissibility?

My theory is that given his convenient amnesia regarding how he restrained her is that he had a knife to her throat and made some kind of threatening motion hence why she jumped. But recognize that is not proof beyond reasonable doubt..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evidence is only admissible if it is relevant and probative (likely to prove a fact in issue). GT eating pizza afterwards was not relevant because it did not make it more or less likely that he committed the offence. All it proved was that he was hungry. Some people think that it showed that he didn't really care that a woman had died after falling from his balcony. As callous as this sounds, lack of emotion after someone has died does not make it more likely that they are guilty of an offence. A classic example is that Lindy Chamberlain didn't act like a typical grieving parent. But this didn't make it more likely that she killed her daughter.

The item he was carrying was not relevant because it didn't make it more likely that it was used to threaten WT. There is no evidence that there was any item used to threaten her (hence the jury question of whether words can be a threat). Without evidence that she was threatened with an object, then no objects can be admitted as evidence. It could have been drug paraphenalia that he didn't want police to find. It could have been a gun that his friend left at his house, that wasn't touched that night but GT nevertheless thought looked bad. It could have been a knife that he threatened WW with (although why hide a knife unless there was some evidence of offending on it).

Once evidence is considered both relevant and probative, the court then balances the probative weight vs the prejudicial weight. If it was a gun and there was no evidence the gun came into play that night, then clearly it is more prejudicial than probative.

On top of that, there is no evidence of what that item actually was. That is why the judge told the jury that what he was carrying was irrelevant. All the public speculation about what the item might have been is the exact reason it was inadmissible.

That statement was qualified with '[...] people he cares about' IIRC in one of the MSM articles linked in this or the previous thread. IMO Warriena did not fall into the narrow definition of 'people' Gable 'cares about'. There are very few 'people' who do IMO. Consider that when you envisage him walking the streets a free man.

Ahhh ... thanks.

Does she even realise that she has raised someone who holds little value for women? Their reputations, their feelings, their lives.
She must realise that by now.

Perhaps that is what happens with an over-doting, over-excusing mother in a household of boys.

so much for the ratings "through the roof" :rolleyes:

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/category/ratings

Lol. Yes, refurbishing properties certainly is a lot more interesting than Tostee's side of the story. By far!!

Just over 18% of the Top 5 viewed shows. And that does not even count the viewers who watched other things, like me.

All those disgusted, repulsed comments from less than 18% of TV viewers from last night.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back