AZ AZ - Bob Crane, 49, Scottsdale, 29 June 1978

Tulessa

Reaction score
I could not find a thread for Bob. If I overlooked it, please move to the correct location. My search button is not working.

Who killed Bob Crane? Can modern DNA solve the case?

[video=youtube;URSP2BqVj1g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URSP2BqVj1g[/video]

Good question! I remember reading about this years ago, but didn't realize that case had not been solved along the way. Just watched the video and it sounds like this Carpenter guy would be a suspect, but he's already been tried. Is that right?

Auto Focus trailer-a pretty good movie about the case

[video=youtube;l15ydlXoHt8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l15ydlXoHt8[/video]

I had thought Carpenter did it too...didn't realize he had been acquitted.

I had read they found what they thought was flesh and blood in his car.

Good question! I remember reading about this years ago, but didn't realize that case had not been solved along the way. Just watched the video and it sounds like this Carpenter guy would be a suspect, but he's already been tried. Is that right?

Yes, and acquitted.

The guy who was arrested, indicted, and tried for his murder is the person who killed Crane. Sometimes the jury finds otherwise. It does not mean that the defendant is innocent.

I agree Falcon.

This case has always fascinated me. DNA was not developed at the time. Crane had a rare type-B blood. If Carpenter had been tried when technology was available, he would have died in prison. Mr Crane led an interesting life for sure, but suffered a horrific death.

I tend to think Carpenter probably did it, but since the DNA in his car did not match Crane, I wonder how many of Crane's women were checked out. Bashing a sleeping man in the head would be a good way to kill a guy without having to worry about him defending himself.

I tend to think Carpenter probably did it, but since the DNA in his car did not match Crane, I wonder how many of Crane's women were checked out. Bashing a sleeping man in the head would be a good way to kill a guy without having to worry about him defending himself.

From what I've read about the case, Crane had a sexual relationship with his co-star at the dinner theater. She may have even hooked up with Crane early on the day he was killed. Her boyfriend owned an adult entertainment venue or two, and drove a white Cadillac. When cops did an initial canvas, some movers who were working in the area reported a white Cadillac parked in the area for several hours that apparently didn't belong to anyone who lived nearby. It's quite possible that the boyfriend followed her, and then went after Crane in a jealous rage or for some sort of payback - Crane had a knack for agitating people.

And in the 1970s the adult entertainment industry was a really rough industry - the kind of place where you'd be able to recruit some muscle to commit a crime.

Carpenter is clearly the most plausible suspect, but that white Cadillac is an intriguing element that can't be discounted.

It also seems that the local police dept. lacked experience with homicide cases and were in over the heads and should've asked for outside assistance.

I read one of the first books written about this case back in the 80's, I think. Even then, it seemed like Carpenter was the most likely suspect.

Listening to the tape at your link of the partial interrogation of Carpenter made me cringe a little. With today's improved training in interrogation, they could have been more successful in getting something out of him. Instead, the detective started with yelling and accusations.

The killer was someone Crane knew. He killed Crane with tools available at the crime scene. It seems there may have been an argument, perhaps earlier in the night.

Had it been the jealous boyfriend in the white Cadillac, you would think Crane would have been out of bed, as he would have had to let the guy into the apartment. Didn't Carpenter have his own key to the apartment?

Although Carpenter seems the convenient suspect, I have my doubts starting with “Why would he kill him?” If in fact it was true did Carpenter have a history of acting out? Was the man with the Cadillac ever interviewed? If so what was the outcome? I also don’t like the whole mess of the brain tissue picture. Any investigation on what was actually wrong with Cranes tire that went flat? Was that examined? Was there anyone at the theatre that saw something suspicious?

This case will only be solved if someone comes forward or if there is some follow up with some of the other leads such as the owner of the white Cadillac. Also it has been speculated 5hat the supposed brain tissue may have been planted. Why? Who would have wanted to frame Carpenter?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back