CA CA - Los Angeles Co., WhtMale UP4343, 20-28, “Mel’s Blizzard Room” T-Shirt, Apr'81

Romulus

Ivan
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 1001UMCA
[FONT=&amp]
1001UMCA.jpg

Victim's Shirt
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
Unidentified White Male
[/FONT]

• [*]The victim was discovered on April 18, 1981 in Santa Clarita, Los Angeles County, California
    [*]Estimated Date of Death: less than one year prior.
  • Skeletal remains

[FONT=&amp]Vital Statistics
[/FONT]

• [*]Estimated age: 20-28 years old
    [*]Approximate Height and Weight: 6'0" -183 cm
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: Long dark brown hair. He had a heavy build and thick eyebrows.
    [*]Clothing: Blue Levi, button-front jeans; a loose knit, green sweater with a hand-sewn zipper on the front; and a short-sleeve, light yellow shirt with “Mel’s Blizzard Room” embroidered on the back. The shirt is identified as a “Shorty’s Bowlaway” type and a “George London Original” brand. The shirt has been out of manufacture for over 30 years, and may have been purchased by the decedent at a used clothing store.
  • Dentals: Available.

[FONT=&amp]Case History
The victim was located off Soledad Canyon Road in Santa Clarita, CA 91350.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Office
Cold Case Unit
323-890-5500

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Agency Case Number:
81-5119;
John Doe# 142
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]NCIC Number:
U-771222756

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Source Information:
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children

This case not is listed in Namus
[/FONT]

It looks like the Doenetwork page used to include a facial reconstruction, which I can now only find on this forum (CAM810418). I wonder who made it? Anyone know why the Doenetwork sometimes removes pictures, is it due to inaccuracies?
0_b3c4403818535ee9e1be678dc51d322f.jpeg

I definitely see it! Stats and photos. I wish he’d take his sunglasses off lol, but I see the prominent cheekbones like on the UID. (I’m glitching on WS for some reason so hopefully this posts correctly)

Good find! Worth submitting!

I don’t understand why Doe Network OR NamUs sometimes removes recons, I can’t think of a reason why. I’d like to know though. So, this side by side is using the one that was removed. It’s better than nothing. If it’s inaccurate maybe when it’s submitted for comparison, someone will say something. IMO

ETA: clearer photo. I see the thick eyebrows too...
90850DD2-F893-4370-ADD7-BE48F98F0800.jpeg

Attachments

• 77D5C8D3-0DDC-40DB-B8E9-708E04B7DA23.jpeg
    77D5C8D3-0DDC-40DB-B8E9-708E04B7DA23.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 30
This shirt looks exactly like the ones my family used to wear when they were on bowling leagues! I guess that is what “Shorty’s Bowlaway” means. I bet it was from a thrift store. FWIW IMO

I definitely see it! Stats and photos. I wish he’d take his sunglasses off lol, but I see the prominent cheekbones like on the UID. (I’m glitching on WS for some reason so hopefully this posts correctly)

Good find! Worth submitting!

I don’t understand why Doe Network OR NamUs sometimes removes recons, I can’t think of a reason why. I’d like to know though. So, this side by side is using the one that was removed. It’s better than nothing. If it’s inaccurate maybe when it’s submitted for comparison, someone will say something. IMO

ETA: clearer photo. I see the thick eyebrows too...
View attachment 240473
on the slightly clearer photo on his CharleyProject page looks like his eyebrows are thin/groomed to me...regardless i think hes a good suggestion, and i see similarities in their strong chins.
john_david_higham_1.jpg

some more possibilities from NamUs - specifically looking for men who fit the composite sketch but again i can't vouch for the accuracy of said sketch.
by the way - i took the 'wrapped in the comforter' detail as meaning that he had been murdered and then discarded; does anyone have any other thoughts of why he'd be wrapped in a blanket?

IN CALIFORNIA
David Mark Schwarzschild - last seen Aug '79, 21 y/o, on the skinnier side though (UID has a heavy build - I think that will really help with narrowing people down as a lot of these young men are pretty thin)
Thumbnail

OTHER
Martin Allan Miller - last seen May '80, 18 y/o, also thin, said he was going to California (arrival never confirmed though) and seemed to leave under suspicious circumstances
Thumbnail

William Frederick Woolheater - last seen Feb '81, 22 y/o, has a heavy build, known to be bipolar/a drinker. i only included him cuz i thought he had thick eyebrows (see link) but other pics on charleyproject contradict that.
william_frederick_woolheater_3.jpg

Robert Ronald Tippit - last seen Jan '80, was 36 y/o (so a bit older). the prior year he was testifying in California and got beaten up due to his involvement. this would be a MP whose info leads me to believe he could have been murdered.
tippit_robert.jpg

I don’t know what to make of him being found wrapped in a comforter. I’m assuming murder too unless he was homeless maybe and living in a creek bed? That doesn’t seem as likely IMO, but possible.

If the sketch is somewhat accurate, it looks like the UID has buckteeth maybe (I don’t think that’s the right word...protruding teeth? IDK), and a receding chin. Based on the profile sketch. His nose also looks pretty short and narrow to me. Which I think would eliminate William Woolheater as his nose appears to be pretty wide. Not sure what to make of David. I like Martin and Robert both because of the circumstances and physical appearance.

I noticed on the link that had the sketch, the UID’s old (?) NamUs profile, for one it shows his dental charting, and also says he had a broken left 12th rib. I don’t see that on the current NamUs link. I’m “reporting” this thread though so hopefully the title can be fixed. I forgot about the incorrect NamUs # and was trying to figure out where you were seeing that he was wrapped in a comforter :oops::p

I attached a pic of all the guys you mentioned next to the UID, just to help visualize. It looks like the artist drew in what looks to me like a dimpled chin...I don’t know of that was intentional or not.

Attachments

• D4B39CC8-17E3-4B55-9335-DEB9379F483D.jpeg
    D4B39CC8-17E3-4B55-9335-DEB9379F483D.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 28
I don’t know what to make of him being found wrapped in a comforter. I’m assuming murder too unless he was homeless maybe and living in a creek bed? That doesn’t seem as likely IMO, but possible.

If the sketch is somewhat accurate, it looks like the UID has buckteeth maybe (I don’t think that’s the right word...protruding teeth? IDK), and a receding chin. Based on the profile sketch. His nose also looks pretty short and narrow to me. Which I think would eliminate William Woolheater as his nose appears to be pretty wide. Not sure what to make of David. I like Martin and Robert both because of the circumstances and physical appearance.

I noticed on the link that had the sketch, the UID’s old (?) NamUs profile, for one it shows his dental charting, and also says he had a broken left 12th rib. I don’t see that on the current NamUs link. I’m “reporting” this thread though so hopefully the title can be fixed. I forgot about the incorrect NamUs # and was trying to figure out where you were seeing that he was wrapped in a comforter :oops::p

I attached a pic of all the guys you mentioned next to the UID, just to help visualize. It looks like the artist drew in what looks to me like a dimpled chin...I don’t know of that was intentional or not.
thank you for compiling the collage! i think of the 4, Robert shares the most similarities - has the thick eyebrows w/ the peak in the middle, thick dark hair (not as wavy as the recon but UID wasn't described as having textured hair), a body type that could be described as 'heavy' especially if he had gained weight, and some kind of criminal connection with California (I believe it was related to prostitution). Wish i could find more info about robert, and wish NamUs included the size of the clothes found on the body so we could get a better idea of what 'heavy build' means...

I agree about Robert. Especially after taking a fresh look at them side by side. I think Robert’s profile would be similar to that of the UID. Yah, “heavy build” can mean different things to different people. Of all the guys though, I think Robert and William are the only two that I would consider heavy (based on their faces)...and I don’t think it’s William, so... that’s my 1.5 cents :p

Attachments

• Thumbnail.jpg
    Thumbnail.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Thumbnail (1).jpg
    Thumbnail (1).jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Original.jpg
    Original.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
What about William R Hennig. California seems to have been one of the places he is listed to having possibly gone.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Anthony Mario Bryant
Last seen in Nevada

Clay Allen Foreman from Missouri
Don't know why he would be in California but hr has thr dark hair and bushy black eye brows mentioned on the deceased.
I think when I had seen William Hennig I discounted him due to him being on the older side/wore a 'hairpiece' so maybe balding on top? and i thought it the UID was balding they would have noted that, but then again I could have jumped the gun because I don't know what level of decomp there was.
Clay Foreman is a good suggestion! I think physically he's a good match, wish there was more info. Also, it's very sad that his namus profile contains all his school pictures :( parents must have kept them very dear.

Yes, I wondered about the balding for William Hennig and whether it would have been noticable. Yes, I saw all the photos of Clay and thought someone must be missing him. Its strange there are so few details about his case but I wonder if he fell into a bad lifestyle and his family were embaressed or dont want people to think badly about their boy and don't want those details out and about. I will see if I can find a contact for Clay and submit him as a possible match.

Yes, I wondered about the balding for William Hennig and whether it would have been noticable. Yes, I saw all the photos of Clay and thought someone must be missing him. Its strange there are so few details about his case but I wonder if he fell into a bad lifestyle and his family were embaressed or dont want people to think badly about their boy and don't want those details out and about. I will see if I can find a contact for Clay and submit him as a possible match.
thank you for trying to submit Clay! according to the DoeNetwork, they should be comparable as they both have DNA available; of course it all depends if the agencies are willing to do the comparison. if you need, clay's doenetwork page has some contact details :)

"Body Found In River," Signal [Santa Clarita, CA], 22 April 1981, 1, 22.
[part 1] [part 2]
Body Found In River,_ pt. 1.jpgBody Found In River,_ pt. 2.jpg
A Sheriff's department homicide investigator said the body, clad in a yellow bowling shirt and blue jeans, was discovered by a hiker near Soledad Canyon Road and the White Rock campgrounds.

Although the cause of death has not been determined yet, Sheriff's Sgt. Jack Scully said the case is being handled as a homicide.

Scully said the unidentified man was found lying on a torn bedspread and theorized that the body was probably wrapped with it before wild coyotes ripped the covering apart.

Lettered on the back of the bowling shirt were the words, "Mel's Blizzard Room. Shorty's Bowl Away. A George London Original."

Scully estimated the body had been lying in the riverbed about three or four weeks when it was found Sunday.

I was curious about the origins of the shirt and found an unrelated (personal assumption!) court docket dated 1965 with the address for Mel's Blizzard Room of 11034 South Vermont Avenue in the Southern portion of Los Angeles. Perhaps useless information, or perhaps another hint towards the idea that this person was a resident of the area.

Maybe the Doe Network messed things up before, because the recon posted above seems to have been added to another UID then discussed in this thread.

994UMCA (with the recon)
Date of Discovery: December 8, 1980
Location of Discovery: Newhall, Los Angeles County, California
Estimated Date of Death: 24 hours prior
State of Remains: Traumatic injuries
Cause of Death: Homicide by multiple gunshots

Physical Description​

Estimated Age: 16-25 years old
Race: White and/or Hispanic

The John Doe discussed here:
1001UMCA (with a drawing? of the shirt)

Date of Discovery: April 19, 1981
Location of Discovery: Santa Clarita, Los Angeles County, California
Estimated Date of Death: 1980-1981
State of Remains: Decomposed
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description​

Estimated Age: 22-28 years old
Race: White

1001UMCA - Unidentified Male

sketch

Reconstruction of the decedent's shirt.

Date of Discovery: April 19, 1981
Location of Discovery: Santa Clarita, Los Angeles County, California
Estimated Date of Death: 1980-1981
State of Remains: Decomposed
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description

Estimated Age: 22-28 years old
Race: White
Sex: Male
Height: 5'11" to 6'0"
Weight: Unknown, but had a heavy build.
Hair: Long dark brown hair; thick eyebrows
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers

Dentals: Available.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Blue Levi, button-front jeans; a loose knit, green sweater with a hand-sewn zipper on the front; brown boots western style stitching around the top; and a short-sleeve, light yellow shirt with “Mel’s Blizzard Room” embroidered on the back. The shirt is identified as a Shorty’s Bowlaway type and a George London Original brand. The shirt had been out of manufacture for over 30 years and may have been purchased by the decedent at a used clothing store.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: White metal cigarette lighter, guitar pin.

Circumstances of Discovery

The decedent was found wrapped in a bed comforter in the Santa Clara riverbed near 10965 Soledad Canyon Road in Santa Clarita, California on April 19, 1981.

Investigating Agency(s)

Agency Name: Los Angeles County Coroner
Agency Contact Person: Betsy Magdaleno
Agency Phone Number: 323-343-0512
Agency E-Mail: idunit(at)coroner.lacounty.gov
Agency Case Number: 1981-05119

Agency Name: Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Office
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 323-890-5500
Agency E-Mail: homicideops(at)lasd.org
Agency Case Number: John Doe# 142

NCIC Case Number: U771222756