Resolved WI - Dane Co, Skeletal remains in woods, Nov'05

Yaya

Esse Quam Videri
Reaction score
Website
bakerst221b.blogspot.com
Human Remains Found

Mon 11/14/2005 -

A hunter walking through a wooded area near the intersection of Highways 138 and 14 made a grisly discovering - human skeletal remains and a gun. The Dane County Coroner says they have made a tentative identification, based on information at the scene, but said they must contact the family before releasing the name.

According to John Stanley, it appears the remains have been there "for a considerable amount of time." He said it would take hours to process the scene, as the bones were scattered throughout the area.

Stanley says the remains are NOT that of Amos Mortier, who has been missing since Nov. 8, 2004.

http://www.wkowtv.com/index.php/news/story/p/pkid/22674
http://nbc15.madison.com/news/headlines/1969277.html

It would be a blessing for one of these families to get some closure...
http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmalistview.php?wstr=Adult&alpha=A

I wonder how they already know that the remains are not those of Amos? I live very very close to this area, and I immediately thought of him. I dont know of any other missing men in my county. John Stanley is a very competent coroner though, and surely we'll find out some more info soon.

mssheila said:
I wonder how they already know that the remains are not those of Amos? I live very very close to this area, and I immediately thought of him. I dont know of any other missing men in my county. John Stanley is a very competent coroner though, and surely we'll find out some more info soon.
Usually when they say they have made a tenative ID it's because a wallet or something of that nature was found with the body... and they are waiting for the family to make a positive ID.

I found a link that says they believe it's a man missing since 2002. The link will not open... but you can read they suspect a man missing since 2002.

The only missing adult male from Wisconsin is Golf Pro - Jerrold "Jerry" Strege, missing from Waupun since Oct. 2, 2002, at 43.

A thread was started here at WS 03-03-2004 07:56 PM by Wasblind in
Missing Information and Support for Jerry Strege.

He is from Dodge County and the remains were found in Dane County...just one county over.

Bumping. All the links in the OP of this thread are broken. I'm trying to figure out if this is still an open case. Can anyone find a NamUs or other file for this one?

I think we can be almost certain these remains were ID, as an article about the Dane County WI Medical Examiner's Office says they only have 2 unidentified bodies. Dane County's death investigation unit: the Medical Examiner’s Office - Forest Hill Cemetery: A Guide

"....Currently, there are two unidentified bodies that share the morgue’s small freezer. Irmen reports that the bodies have been there for at least ten years. Other sources (Simms, 2010) claim that the skeletonized remains of one of the bodies has sat in the morgue’s freezer since 1989, while the second body arrived in 2002. The medical examiner’s office will never cremate an unidentified body in the hopes that future advances in science will unlock the possibility of identifying the deceased person and providing his or her family with the opportunity to receive the body’s cremains."

While I can't find a publication date for this article, it quotes references from 2015, so dates well and truly after this UID was found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back