1155 users online (177 members and 978 guests)  

Websleuths News

NY - Sexual abuse by Coach Philip Foglietta at Brooklyn’s Poly Prep Country Day

Deadspin:

Report: Prep School Football Coach Molested Students
    For Decades While Administration Looked The Other Way

In a massive, devastating feature up at Esquire, Eric Lewis writes about the sexual abuse carried out by football coach Philip Foglietta at Brooklyn’s Poly Prep Country Day School spanning from the 1960s through the 1980s. The details of the coverup, which ranges from incompetence to intimidation, might sound like a familiar story.

As an alumnus of Poly Prep, Lewis, now a lawyer who also wrote about the settlement the school reached for a 2013 New York Times piece, has a unique perspective. He was never a victim himself, but his friends and teammates were, and he can attest to the fact that no single revelation forced the abuse into the light. It was a longstanding piece of disconcerting gossip among students, and a repeatedly denied accusation at the administrative level.
    ---
    NYT piece: A pedophile in plain sight

Esquire feature: See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil

Don't miss the Esquire article above. Yikes.

It really bothers me adults knew this was going on and did nothing about it. They had to know getting rid of the student in 1966 wasn't going to stop the coach from taking advantage of another kid. How on earth do they justify these actions? What do they tell themselves? They were kids!! If it's like every other prep school I've ever known their parents were paying a hefty tuition* - you'd think the administration would do whatever they could to keep them happy. And molesting their kids is not how one does that!!

*I just checked. Tuition is 43k per year and oddly enough abuse is not mentioned on the school's "about" page.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    It really bothers me adults knew this was going on and did nothing about it. They had to know getting rid of the student in 1966 wasn't going to stop the coach from taking advantage of another kid. How on earth do they justify these actions? What do they tell themselves? They were kids!! If it's like every other prep school I've ever known their parents were paying a hefty tuition* - you'd think the administration would do whatever they could to keep them happy. And molesting their kids is not how one does that!!

*I just checked. Tuition is 43k per year and oddly enough abuse is not mentioned on the school's "about" page.
    Tuition, according to the feature, wasn't nearly as expensive then. Part of the reason those abused who came forward were treated so dismissively was because their parents were not financially equipped to press the issue.