1070 users online (219 members and 851 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sauerkraut may 'cure' bird flu

Sauerkraut may cure bird flu.

Scientists in Seoul believe the German cabbage contains a bacteria that fights the disease.

Researchers fed 11 out of 13 chickens infected with avian flu with fermented cabbage - the chickens showed signs of recovery within a week.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm...=news.quirkies

Quote Originally Posted by Casshew

Scientists in Seoul believe the German cabbage contains a bacteria that fights the disease.

Researchers fed 11 out of 13 chickens infected with avian flu with fermented cabbage - the chickens showed signs of recovery within a week.

Great news; I enjoy sauerkraut every now, and then. Looks as if I'll be having it a little more often.

------------------------

Casshew,thanks for the article.Now~great balls of fire I have divertic and am not allowed to eat saurkraut! Right now I have irritable bowel and am on a liquid diet! I haven't read the article yet but I will now.Maybe I could just drink the juice!!Take care.

I sure hope I never get the bird flu... I HATE sauerkraut!
    But I hope that this is a cure for the disease
    Caylee Marie Anthony 2005-2008
    Ethan Stacy 2005-2010
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzm1
    Great news; I enjoy sauerkraut every now, and then. Looks as if I'll be having it a little more often.
    ----------------------

It's me again~maybe I could puree it!

I love sauerkraut.. last night I made corned beef & cabbage for dinner and today with the left over cabbage I added some vinegar & black pepper and fried it up.. tasted just like sauerkraut.

I hadn't seen this article then.

I love sauerkraut.. last night I made corned beef & cabbage for dinner and today with the left over cabbage I added some vinegar & black pepper and fried it up.. tasted just like sauerkraut.

I hadn't seen this article then.
    ============
    Alright now you have my tongue hanging out! I love pork roast with saurkraut ( with carraway) and spaetzles.

YAH! Es ist, wie Sie das kraut bilden, das unterscheidet.

[It's how you make the kraut that makes the difference. The above translation into German may stink, it came from Babelfish!]

http://www.splammo.net/foodapplmicro/applkraut.html

"Throughout the fermentation, it is critical that oxygen be excluded. The presence of oxygen would permit the growth of some spoilage organisms, particularly the acid-loving molds and yeasts.

As no starter cultures are added to the system, this is referred to as a wild fermentation. The normal flora of the cabbage leaves is relied upon to include the organisms responsible for a desirable fermentation, one that will enhance preservation and organoleptic acceptability. The floral succession is governed mainly by the pH of the growth medium.

Initially, a coliform starts the fermentation. Coliforms which have contributed to our lab-made sauerkraut in recent years have included Klebsiella pneumoniae, K. oxytoca and Enterobacter cloacae. As acid is produced, an environment more favorable for Leuconostoc is quickly formed. The coliform population declines as the population of a strain of Leuconostoc builds. As Leuconostoc is a heterofermentative lactic acid bacterium, much gas (carbon dioxide) accompanies the acid production during this stage. The pH continues to drop, and a strain of Lactobacillus succeeds the Leuconostoc. (On occasion a strain of Pediococcus arises instead of Lactobacillus.) The complete fermentation, then, involves a succession of three major groups or genera of bacteria, a succession governed by the decreasing pH."

Interesting stuff, wrinkles.... and welcome to Websleuths!

Hello Nore,

I LOVE spaetzles! German heritage... I went to visit my aunt after 21 years of not seeing her. She asked what I would like to eat. I said SPAETZLES! When she made them, her 70 year old arms just kept beating the batter. She told me the trick to making the best spaetzles was in the stirring! Oh I love em... And so do my children and hubby, especially with Sauerbrauten and German red cabbage. OH YUM!

Ah yes... You can never make too many spaetzles. Refrigerate the left overs and serve them warm for breakfast with butter, sugar and cinnamon on them.

Thank you for the welcome Cashew

do they make a dish of Sauerkraut over roasted chicken?

I picked up a jar of sauerkraut (Costco's mega-sauerkraut size jar), just to have on hand. Sauerkraut is really great with the right foods, and I always enjoy it a lot---I might have just talked myself into having it for dinner. I have a pork roast in the freezer, that I'll thaw and cook, then I'll make some mashed potatoes, and put sauerkraut on top of them. Sounds good--maybe some apple sauce too. I'm hungry--might have to go with Plan B.

I think we might have hotdogs with saurekraut and cheese once a week and see if it can head of the lingering cold I have. or help with the flu.

Everything I have read says the pickled cabbage is great for colds.

Quote Originally Posted by Nore
    ----------------------

It's me again~maybe I could puree it!
    You could always invent a sauerkraut shake, and call it a sauerkraut pickerupper. The main ingredient, cabbage, is cheap, and buying in bulk, you could get a great discount to the market price. Now figure out, the right things, to mix 8 ounces of fermented cabbage with, and have it taste good. A new health (bird-flu preventative) drink. Now if the public will only swallow it. Get the right PR guy.

Well I am glad that that sauerkraut may have cured the birds, but what about humans.

No has tested it out as yet.......in an acute situation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast