MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlcya

Old and Re-Tired Websleuth
Reaction score
attachment.php

"Vanessa Marcotte, 27, was last seen Sunday afternoon while visiting family in Princeton, Mass., police said. Around 1 p.m., she went for a jog — and vanished. Officers found her body in the woods that night about a half mile from her mother’s home."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...c-google-employee-dead-mass-article-1.2742909

Presser Aug 8th
[video=youtube;2D3fmpBEAfU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D3fmpBEAfU[/video]

In fact, one of the few details investigators have released is that Marcotte did fight back and may have inflicted some injuries on her attacker. Police have asked the public to be on the lookout for anyone with scratches, scrapes or bruises that would have been inflicted around Aug. 7 and to call the anonymous tip line at 508-453-7589.

http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/index.ssf/2016/08/vanessa_marcottes_tweet.html

She had a pattern. Marcotte would visit her mother on a weekends and go for a run before returning to the city on Sundays. If she was the intended victim and her killing was not a random act, Kirby said her weekend runs "would be the place."

http://www.masslive.com/news/worces.../fbi_profiler_on_vanessa_marcotte_killer.html

Video Interview w Unidentified Man in Socks - Says he Gave DNA to LE

[just a note, since we don't the man's name it is acceptable to refer to him as Socks or the UI DNA guy but please avoid other variations - thanks]

Video - Reporter walk thru of Crime Scene

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4

Attachments

• vanessa.jpg
    vanessa.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 70
Hi Everyone,

If you see a post you feel violates TOS please alert.

If you find a poster or posters annoying put them on ignore or scroll on by and IGNORE.

Thank you for your participation on Vanessa's thread.

Carry on...

Tricia

Hi Everyone,

If you see a post you feel violates TOS please alert.

If you find a poster or posters annoying put them on ignore or scroll on by and IGNORE.

Thank you for your participation on Vanessa's thread.

Carry on...

Tricia

Thank you, Tricia. Will do. Thank you Tlcya and other mods for all your work on the thread. I will follow your guidance as to how proceed.

Vanessa Marcotte Case Map

~

A clue -- and some hope
Editorial - Sentinel & Enterprise

11/18/2016 8:56:24 am est

"...The odds seem long, but at least there is some hope that Marcotte's killer can be found and brought to justice."

The other day when I was trying to catch up I was confused about the discussion. Some people thought LE knew who the killer is and that he was no longer a threat. I now realize that was only speculation and not based on any factual MSM or LE information. Sorry for the confusion.

The actual information is "“I must stress that we do not know if this was a random act,” Early said at a news conference Monday. “We are asking residents of Princeton and surrounding areas to use an abundance of caution. We are asking the public to be careful and to be vigilant.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...e-continues/W4RX4k7MOxCTEVYRUBFQSN/story.html

I have also been catching up. The vehicle information caught me by surprise as I could never fit a vehicle into the timeline as we know it. As others have said, a vehicle sitting on the road for what had to have been at least a half hour would have either prompted a call to police or at least resulted in a couple of people reporting it immediately after the public became aware of what had happened. For reasons discussed by others, I also struggle with the idea of the killer returning to cover his tracks.

It occurred to me, however, that maybe the vehicle was parked on the side of the road by the killer much earlier in the day - perhaps while he carried whatever tools he might have needed into the woods. He could have then returned by bike or on foot later in the day. It would have only taken a few minutes to drop stuff off making the car a bit less noticeable and perhaps not generating a tip to police - especially because they only asked about vehicles during that narrow timeframe (1-3?). It could have come up during a more recent neighborhood canvas in which LE cast a wider net in terms of asking about suspicious activity on BSR. Just a thought.

This is a small community. I would think a parked car would generate alot of interest in a community like that. Locals?

IIRC, aren't there fishing spots near BSR? And would it be normal to see hunters in the area that time of year? I live in a semi-rural town with many rural stretches between here and where my family lives. On trips home and back, it's not unusual to see cars parked along the road where fishermen/hunters have stopped. And it would not be unusual for the cars to be parked there for hours at a time, I would think.

Earlier in the case, I speculated that the perp may have been carrying a backpack with supplies. But, with the new info about the SUV, the perp could easily have supplies at the ready in the vehicle and now I'm wondering if he may have been dressed as a hunter or fisherman so as not to attract attention. So, locals, would BSR be an area one normally sees cars parked, especially during the summer and autumn months? IIRC, someone said earlier that it's not unusual to see cars parked along BSR but others are saying it would be suspicious.

The other day when I was trying to catch up I was confused about the discussion. Some people thought LE knew who the killer is and that he was no longer a threat. I now realize that was only speculation and not based on any factual MSM or LE information. Sorry for the confusion.

The actual information is "“I must stress that we do not know if this was a random act,” Early said at a news conference Monday. “We are asking residents of Princeton and surrounding areas to use an abundance of caution. We are asking the public to be careful and to be vigilant.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...e-continues/W4RX4k7MOxCTEVYRUBFQSN/story.html

Let's keep in mind that statement from LE was made the day after the crime was committed. We don't know whether they currently believe it was random or not. No further statements along these lines -- including reminders to the public to remain vigilant -- have been made.

Let's keep in mind that statement from LE was made the day after the crime was committed. We don't know whether they currently believe it was random or not. No further statements along these lines -- including reminders to the public to remain vigilant -- have been made.

Yes they have not updated that opinion. So do we remain vigilant? I think yes.

JMO

IIRC, aren't there fishing spots near BSR? And would it be normal to see hunters in the area that time of year? I live in a semi-rural town with many rural stretches between here and where my family lives. On trips home and back, it's not unusual to see cars parked along the road where fishermen/hunters have stopped. And it would not be unusual for the cars to be parked there for hours at a time, I would think.

Earlier in the case, I speculated that the perp may have been carrying a backpack with supplies. But, with the new info about the SUV, the perp could easily have supplies at the ready in the vehicle and now I'm wondering if he may have been dressed as a hunter or fisherman so as not to attract attention. So, locals, would BSR be an area one normally sees cars parked, especially during the summer and autumn months? IIRC, someone said earlier that it's not unusual to see cars parked along BSR but others are saying it would be suspicious.
There isn't any place to fish near where her body was found. There is a small pond across the road, and north, just before Radford, but I'm not sure if there are any fish in it.
Hunting season doesn't start until September here.
As far as if the SUV would have looked suspicious, I guess that's tough to answer. I think it would be if you are a local, because there are no fishing spots, and one may at least wonder if the SUV was broken down. If you are not a local, just driving through, I don't think anyone would give it a second thought, thinking like you, that someone may be fishing, not knowing there are no places to fish.
On the other hand, I doubt very much that LE in that town would drive past that SUV, without checking it out.
It may very well be that the SUV was suspicious enough that many reported it to the tip line, and they got enough calls on it that they are fairly certain that there was an SUV parked there.
I'm not convinced that the perp needed any supplies, outside of a bic lighter to start a fire. There is plenty of wood that he could have used with no need for some type of accelerant.
I will say, after seeing how close to the road he committed his crime this guy took many chances, because I would think that after the SUV caught attention, many passing by would have at least looked into the woods and would have seen smoke of some magnitude, followed by a call to LE, or the FD.

There isn't any place to fish near where her body was found. There is a small pond across the road, and north, just before Radford, but I'm not sure if there are any fish in it.
Hunting season doesn't start until September here.
As far as if the SUV would have looked suspicious, I guess that's tough to answer. I think it would be if you are a local, because there are no fishing spots, and one may at least wonder if the SUV was broken down. If you are not a local, just driving through, I don't think anyone would give it a second thought, thinking like you, that someone may be fishing, not knowing there are no places to fish.
On the other hand, I doubt very much that LE in that town would drive past that SUV, without checking it out.
It may very well be that the SUV was suspicious enough that many reported it to the tip line, and they got enough calls on it that they are fairly certain that there was an SUV parked there.
I'm not convinced that the perp needed any supplies, outside of a bic lighter to start a fire. There is plenty of wood that he could have used with no need for some type of accelerant.
I will say, after seeing how close to the road he committed his crime this guy took many chances, because I would think that after the SUV caught attention, many passing by would have at least looked into the woods and would have seen smoke of some magnitude, followed by a call to LE, or the FD.

And as far as I know there was no smoke reported that day. But not like LE has released any details. Seeing that pull-out, even though it's narrow, it looks like a convenient place to pull off even partly in the grass being just after the guard rail. Not sure I would notice it but then I am a city boy.

ETA: AFAIK there is no hunting season in MA during that time, so I don't think hunting/ fishing is a factor?

Yes they have not updated that opinion. So do we remain vigilant? I think yes.

JMO
I agree. Nothing has changed from what they said in the press conference. I don't expect LE to announce every week to remain vigilant, especially when they can't really tell people what to be looking for, other than a male driving a dark SUV.

And as far as I know there was no smoke reported that day. But not like LE has released any details. Seeing that pull-out, even though it's narrow, it looks like a convenient place to pull off even partly in the grass being just after the guard rail. Not sure I would notice it but then I am a city boy.

ETA: AFAIK there is no hunting season in MA during that time, so I don't think hunting/ fishing is a factor?
I was going to add that if there were reports of a fire, that/those calls would have been logged in the local newspaper, but if I remember right LE took the logs from that afternoon pertaining to the crime up until later that night, when the FD was called to assist. at around 9 pm?

I was going to add that if there were reports of a fire, that/those calls would have been logged in the local newspaper, but if I remember right LE took the logs from that afternoon pertaining to the crime up until later that night, when the FD was called to assist. at around 9 pm?

There was a link here about the police logs and a subsequent approval by mods that the logs can now be discussed. I don't recall a gap in the logs though. I will check my bookmarks.

http://www.thelandmark.com/news/2016-08-11/Fire_(and)_Police/Police_Notebook.html

"Sunday, August 7
3:58 p.m. Caller reports loose stallion, Ball Hill Rd.
8:45 p.m. Caller reports person in pickup truck stopped
and inquired about missing female, Mountain Rd.
10:43 p.m. Caller reports something in the woods, Sam
Cobb Lane
Princeton Police responded to two burglar alarms
Editor’s note: Logs are complete as given to the paper. A
call regarding a missing jogger on Aug. 7 did not appear in
the Princeton Police logs given to The Landmark."

So yes most calls for that day were not given to the Landmark.

http://www.thelandmark.com/news/2016-08-11/Fire_(and)_Police/Police_Notebook.html

"Sunday, August 7
3:58 p.m. Caller reports loose stallion, Ball Hill Rd.
8:45 p.m. Caller reports person in pickup truck stopped
and inquired about missing female, Mountain Rd.
10:43 p.m. Caller reports something in the woods, Sam
Cobb Lane
Princeton Police responded to two burglar alarms
Editor’s note: Logs are complete as given to the paper. A
call regarding a missing jogger on Aug. 7 did not appear in
the Princeton Police logs given to The Landmark."

So yes most calls for that day were not given to the Landmark.
Here are the fire logs.
I was off on the time.It wasn't 9 Pm. it was 11.04 the F.D. got a call to assist the police.
[FONT=&quot]Princeton Fire Department[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8/3 3:45 p.m. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Havenwood Dr[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Fire/smoke investigation[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8/7 11:04 p.m. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Brooks Station Rd[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Assist Police department[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Princeton ambulance answered three calls[/FONT]

This is a small community. I would think a parked car would generate alot of interest in a community like that. Locals?

There are parked cars on the side of roads all the time around here. Especially if there is a path or pond nearby. A few random people would call something like Thisbe in, but most would barely notice it or think twice about it if they did.

There is a pond on it, it wouldn't really be hunting season though or a spot you would hunt because its residential and all private. But I still don't think it would be unusual though for a car to be parked there.

Yeah, I live in a really small town in Maine. Plus, I grew up right next to Princeton. I wouldn't give a thought to a car parked on the side of the road. I'd probably assume a much needed pitstop. Given how busy my mind is all of the time, I wouldn't give it much thought at all unless it was in the way. I don't know how long it'd take a cop to get involved. No matter, perp would have no idea if and when a cop would stop, so this had to have been a tip from multiple people seeing it pass by their homes umpteen times, or seeing it parked on the sides of roads in different places throughout the day. That would make me think he was looking particularly for her. Also, did that tip from the person who saw a woman talking to someone in a car then quickly disappear pan out to anything? Wonder if that was also a dark SUV. Just some rainy Sunday thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail