Mozambique - Elly Warren, 20, Australian, suspicious death, Tofo Beach, 9 Nov 2016

Bohemian

Reaction score

20-year-old Melbourne woman Elly Warren dies in Mozambique

'FAMILY and friends have paid tribute to a Melbourne woman who was killed while on a diving trip in Mozambique.

Twenty-year old Elly Warren was travelling through the southern African nation with a group of divers when the incident occurred.'

'Hundreds of tributes have flooded social media, with the 20-year-old being remembered for her infectious smile and crazy stories.'

'The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade told News Corp Australia that they are “providing consular assistance to the family of a woman who died in Mozambique.”

No other details were available.

More to come.'

'A parent's nightmare': Woman raped, murdered and dumped in toilet while travelling in Mozambique

'The family of an Australian woman who was killed while travelling in Africa has been told she was raped and murdered after becoming separated from the group she was travelling with.

Elly Warren, from Melbourne, was killed in Mozambique on Wednesday while on a diving trip.

Her distraught family believe her body was found in a toilet block. Elly was due to return to Australia on Monday, before travelling to New Zealand with her boyfriend.'

What happened to Elly Warren? Conflicting reports surround young woman's death

'Her family is left to try and unravel the mystery of what happened earlier this week when Elly was found dead in the picturesque Mozambique town of Tofo Beach, a hotspot for backpackers, surfers and divers.

The circumstances surrounding Elly's death are murky. Diplomatic officials have told family that her body was located on the beach, that she had been raped and murdered.'

'But local police have challenged that conclusion, telling Fairfax Media that Elly's body was found in a public change room near the beach at 5am and that she was not naked.

"She didn't have a scratch, didn't have a bruise on her indicating there was violence or rape. I guarantee it. I have total confidence she was not raped," police spokesperson Detective Dauto said.'

'"The community here is shocked, this has never happened. Everybody wants to know what happened."

Until the results of an autopsy are confirmed, it will be hard to establish exactly what happened when Elly failed to return to her room at the Wuyani Pariango hostel.'

'Local newspaper Verdade reported that Elly was seen on Tuesday afternoon enjoying herself having a drink in a local market.

A witness told the paper that Elly left the market stall and went to the house of a local acquaintance, where she stayed for a few hours, before returning later that day.

Her body was found at 5am by local fishermen, who alerted police. Her family back in Melbourne got a late-night call from a backpacker telling them Elly had been killed.'

Vic woman's death in Africa investigated

'Australian officials say they are in talks with local authorities.

"The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is providing consular assistance to the family of an Australian woman who died in Mozambique and are also liaising with the Mozambique authorities responsible for the investigation processes," an officer for the department said in a statement.

Elly's father, Paul Warren, says authorities will be waiting for the results of an autopsy.

"There is going to be an investigation & autopsy which I have been informed can take up to two weeks," he said in a post on Facebook on Thursday.

He said he will be travelling to Mozambique to bring his daughter's body home.'

Australian Elly Warren's body to be flown home from Mozambique

'Johannesburg: The body of Australian woman Elly Warren has been released after an autopsy was carried out in Mozambique and is expected to be taken to Johannesburg before being flown home to Melbourne this week.'

'An autopsy has been carried out in the capital, Maputo, and the results are expected within days.

The Australian honorary consul in Mozambique, Blake Gray, told Fairfax Media he had travelled to Tofo and found a community "very shaken up".

"I was in Tofo at the weekend and pretty much everyone is just waiting for more information," he said.

"It's quite a mystery. There's lots of evidence pointing in different directions. There are contradicting theories. There's the stories that came out at the beginning and then there's other information indicating perhaps a different cause altogether.'

'Mr Gray said the police investigation was ongoing.

"There's a lot of police in Tofo at the moment, even on the beach. I think the people who were with her that evening aren't that willing to talk right now."'

Elly Warren's father believes his daughter was murdered by suffocation in Mozambique

'The father of a Melbourne woman who died in Mozambique last week says he is "absolutely certain" his daughter was murdered by suffocation.'

'An autopsy was conducted last week and then her body was taken to Johannesburg, where her family has been working with a local funeral director to bring Elly back to Melbourne.

In a statement, circulated by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade late Friday night, Paul Warren said he was in South Africa to "in order to bring my beautiful daughter, Elly, home".

"Based on all the facts that I now know, I am absolutely certain that my daughter has been murdered by suffocation," he said.'

'A DFAT spokesperson said the murder allegations were the opinion of Mr Warren.

"The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade continues to provide all appropriate consular assistance to the family of an Australian woman who died in Mozambique, in accordance with the Consular Services Charter," a statement read.'

'"The woman's father issued a statement on 18 November noting his opinion that his daughter had been murdered. The family has requested privacy at this extremely difficult time. As the Mozambique police investigation is continuing, it would be inappropriate for DFAT to speculate on the cause of the woman's death."'

'An Australian Federal Police spokesman said it was aware of the "alleged murder of Ms Elly Warren" and had been liaising with the DFAT.

The spokesman said AFP had been in contact with authorities in Mozambique, and all questions should be referred to them.

"As this incident occurred in Mozambique, the investigation is the responsibility of the Mozambique authorities," the spokesman said.

"The AFP has discussed this matter with Mozambique authorities to ascertain any assistance that could be provided."'

The Mozambican people are friendly and kind and will usually treat visitors with warm welcomes and beaming white smiles. In the north, the people will be very surprised and happy to see you. Unfortunately there is some resentment towards South Africans, so it’s best to make it clear that you’re not a South African right from the start.
http://www.goatsontheroad.com/budget-guide-to-backpacking-mozambique/

Some more info about Elly today

'I saw her face, she struggled'

I hope her dad is careful over there...

I noticed he's already applied to the coroner of vic... & this is offshore. how will it be investigated? My heart goes out to them

Oh my what a tragedy. My heart goes out to her dad, he looks like a really great guy. Hope he stays safe.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back