802 users online (85 members and 717 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...ter/658333001/

When Brook Stagles arrived at the emergency room of Rochester General Hospital in the afternoon hours of Nov. 14, she wasn’t breathing and had no pulse.

Doctors rushed to give her aid, performing CPR, giving her intravenous antibiotics and epinephrine shots in an attempt to restart her tiny heart.

“My first thought when I saw her was that I was looking at a corpse,” said Dr. Kevin O’Gara, the pediatric emergency physician who first treated Brook on the day her father, Michael Stagles, brought her to the hospital.
    In afternoon testimony, Brook's great-grandmother Gail Geer testified that she last saw Brook alive on Nov. 5, 2016. She said at the time, Brook's mother, her granddaughter Ashley Geer, and Michael Stagles — who had broken up in July of that year — were sharing custody and that she would go and pick up Brook every Thursday and return her on Sundays.

She said Brook began showing up with bruises shortly after Erica Bell had moved in with Michael Stagles that summer.

"Every time she came over, she had new marks on her body," she said.
    Brook's final few days recounted with much difficulty

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/rochester...rochester.html

It was during Dr. Kevin O'Gara's testimony that the court first saw pictures of Brook in the hospital bed. She had medical tubes coming out everywhere, and had bruises on her face, arms, legs, abdomen and back.

An Ogden Police Department officer who saw her that day also testified to those bruises and choked up remembering the details, as did Rochester Police Department Tech Courtney Carbonel, who photographed inside the house where Brook lived with her father, Michael Stagles, and Bell. Carbonel testified that house was dirty, with motorbikes in the middle of the living room, bugs and dirty dishes in the kitchen sink and kitchen walls, and clothes, medicine bottles and other junk strewn across the basement where Brook's bed was.

Medical examiner: Brook Stagles died of complications from blow to abdomen

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...men/663846001/

In her testimony, Dr. Nadia Granger detailed her external and internal examination of Brook's body during an autopsy that took place the day after the girl's death.

Granger confirmed that Brook's body was covered with bruises — on both sides of her face, her arms, legs and torso — and that her death was the result of a widespread, systemic infection called sepsis that came about due to a hole in the girl's bowel that allowed stool and bacteria to freely enter her abdominal cavity.
    http://www.twcnews.com/nys/rochester...rica-bell.html

Also on the stand today were Erica Bell’s sister and her boyfriend. They testified that they saw Brook looking very ill at their baby shower. They say they called 911 the next day since they were so worried about her. That turned out to be the day before she died.

Erica Bell trial: Court hears jailhouse phone calls about Brook Stagles

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...lls/664157001/

In a series of jailhouse phone calls played Thursday morning in Monroe County Court, Erica Bell urged her grandmother to not allow her boyfriend to take Brook Stagles to the hospital, and then, after learning the girl had died, worried how long she’d be in jail if convicted of killing her.

“How am I supposed to live the rest of my life with this?” Bell said in a Nov. 16, 2016, phone call with her grandmother Deborah Smith of Spencerport. Smith had just told Bell that 3-year-old Brook died on Nov. 14 at Strong Memorial Hospital of complications from a beating. She died shortly after emergency surgery for a ruptured bowel.

Smith testified that Bell had told her on Nov. 12 that she had punched the girl in the stomach. In the phone call, Bell said she struck her “like three times.”

Brook Stagles' death: Erica Bell points finger at girl's father

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...ues/684948001/

Accused child killer Erica Bell wrapped up her testimony on Wednesday, repeating her claim that she lied about causing Brook Stagles' fatal injuries because she feared the wrath of Brook's father Michael Stagles.

On the stand, Bell said she didn't report the abuse because she had no place to go, having alienated her family and friends by stealing to support her heroin addiction. Also, she said, when Brook began exhibiting signs of serious illness, Stagles told her to tell her grandmother she'd punched the child in the stomach in order to gauge her reaction and to shift blame from him. His fear, she said, was that Child Protective Services would take Brook away.

Brook Stagles' death: Bell trial closes, verdict scheduled for Sept. 29

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...day/690758001/

In his closing arguments, defense attorney Lawrence Kasperek said the state failed to prove its case that Bell exhibited "depraved indifference to human life" when she failed to get medical care for Brook after the girl began exhibiting symptoms of illness on Nov. 11.

Although Bell admitted in a phone call prosecutors played in court last week that she had punched Brook three times in the stomach, the defense played a different phone call on Wednesday in which Bell said Michael Stagles was the one who really hit the girl.
    In her closing arguments, Monroe County Assistant District Attorney Sara VanStrydonck homed in on the jailhouse phone calls as the "best evidence" against Bell. Just after learning that Brook had died two days previously, Bell in the calls admitted to her grandmother that she struck the girl three times in the stomach, then wondered whether she would be charged with murder and how long she would have to stay in prison.

VanStrydonck said the calls later that day, when Bell recanted and blamed Michael Stagles, were a "calculated and careful fabrication" where Bell came up with an alternate theory to avoid taking responsibility for what she had done.

Here you go princess. You may have been invisible in your own home but we see you. Fly high baby girl justice is coming.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

JMOO, Neither should ever see the light of day, except to perform manual labor. Any monies they receive from this manual labor should go to caring for homeless children and never a penny for themselves. Until we start "punishing" for these type of horrific crimes, nothing will ever change. We incarcerate, but that's not punishment, IMHO. I believe in capital punishment in certain cases. When a child is murdered, I would have no problem sentencing their killer to the death penalty. Others may not agree, and that's ok. But, stories like this just tear at my heart. I hope they both get the maximum sentence allowed.

Little Girl Lost: The questions left behind by Brook Stagles death

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...ath/685670001/

At every turn, every safeguard that could or should have protected the life of young Brook Stagles failed her.

Her mother and mother’s family were unable to secure custody of the girl in the weeks before her death on Nov. 14, 2016.

Her father’s family either didn’t notice or turned a blind eye to abuse allegedly going on under the roof of their home on Albemarle Street. And Brook’s father, Michael Stagles, either participated in abuse so significant that his 3-year-old daughter was bruised from head to toe, or allowed his girlfriend to inflict such injuries on Brook that the girl ultimately died of complications from a part of her intestines popping like a balloon.

The nonjury trial outlined a litany of failures and missed opportunities that could have potentially saved Brook’s life. One pediatrician testified that a ruptured bowel typically isn’t fatal if repaired quickly. But Brook languished for days after her injury, and infection overtook her 37-pound body as her father and Bell failed to get her medical attention. Bystanders who recognized the girl was gravely ill did not take the extra step of getting her a doctor’s care themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeWillBeServed View Post
    Little Girl Lost: The questions left behind by Brook Stagles death

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...ath/685670001/
    I will never understand how as a parent you can see your child sick, suffering, or in pain and do nothing. It tears my heart out when my kids get a cold. I could never purposefully inflict pain and suffering onto them. RIH Angel you're safe now

Sent from my 9024W using Tapatalk

Brook Stagles' death: Trial for her father, Michael Stagles, postponed

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...les/699119001/

His trial was set to begin Monday morning in Monroe County Court, but was delayed to Nov. 13 due to scheduling conflicts.

Michael Stagles is also considering a bench trial, rather than a jury trial, and is expected to let the the court know which he will select next week.

Ya know, I tell myself to stay out of this forum because it does nothing but enrage me, but I don't listen and here I am and totally enraged! This skanky monster and the spineless, terrible excuse for a father, should both be given the max and I don't think the max is enough. They should never see the free world again. When you do something like this, you get no second chances!!! The poor excuse for a human being, EB, looks to me like she is a meth-head, moo, and I'm going to go with this because my mind cannot accept that she did this while sober. I agree with all the above posters that until abusers are PUNISHED as early as the first offense, things will not change for our innocent angels...RIP dear Brooke.

Judge: Erica Bell had 'wicked, evil or inhuman' state of mind

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...ial/712102001/

As Monroe County Court Judge Christopher Ciaccio handed down his verdict in the murder case of Erica Bell on Friday morning, the only sounds in the packed courtroom were the sobs of Brook Stagles’ family.

Calling Bell “supremely selfish, concerned with her own self-preservation,” Ciaccio convicted the 25-year-old of second-degree murder and first-degree manslaughter in connection with Brook’s death on Nov. 14, 2016.

Bell faces a sentence of up to 25 years to life in prison on the second-degree murder conviction and 5 to 25 years in prison on the first-degree manslaughter conviction. Those sentences would be served concurrently. Sentencing will be Nov. 8.
    Ciaccio said Bell's attempts to hide Brook's injuries from others, coupled with her active obstruction of getting the child any medical attention evinced an "utter disregard for human life" and that the evidence showed she had a "wicked, evil or inhuman" state of mind.

Ciaccio said he did not believe any of Bell's testimony. The later phone calls recanting her previous statements only showed that Bell had taken the time to concoct a story that would shift blame to someone else.

Her earlier statements of guilt were "unscripted, unflitered and related the truth," he said, noting that in none of the calls did Bell show any remorse or contrition that Brook was dead.

Thank you for this update!! I'm so glad the judge felt exactly like those of us here and saw the truth! Hopefully the sentence will match the crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeWillBeServed View Post
    Judge: Erica Bell had 'wicked, evil or inhuman' state of mind

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...ial/712102001/

Michael Stagles pleads guilty in death of his daughter Brook Stagles

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...ter/735691001/

Michael Stagles pleaded guilty Friday to criminally negligent homicide in the death of his 3-year-old daughter, Brook Stagles.

Stagles' release was revoked and he was taken into custody after the hearing. Sentencing is scheduled for 9:30 a.m. Dec. 6. He faces a sentence of up to four years in prison, with a minimum of 1⅓. years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2