Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Bumping this up

It's been a while since I've visited this thread. I'm am still so intrigued by this poor young man's suicide.

I looked at the Doe Network listing for Perry Otto Corlew (1259dmmi) to see if there was an update indicating that he was the young man found in Louisiana. Unfortunately, Perry Corlew is still listed as a missing person.

I know there are a lot of new WS members since I first posted this, so maybe there will be some new insights or suggestions.

Shortly after Hurricane Katrina struck Louisiana, I called the Sheriff's Department in Plaquemines County. Several weeks later, a very disinterested deputy called to tell me this was not an active investigation and that he didn't believe any records remained on this suicide. Since I had a lot going on at that time, I never did follow up on this. I have just sent them an e-mail and will see if they have time to respond.

Could the age of the suicide victim be wrong? I know age isn't always an easy thing to determine, in life and in death. The wording and ideas in his suicide note seem to be that of someone more mature than a 16-17 year old boy.

Finally, I have contacted NAMUS and will see if I can get him listed on their database.
    Last edited by Marilynilpa; 05-12-2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: additional info

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Marilynilpa For This Useful Post:

I don't know how they determine age but if it is by appearance alone I can guarantee you that if I were ever found and unidentified they would classify me as a teenager or pre-teen even though I am 25. A few years ago I was carded to rent a rated R movie. I get the stink-eye if I try to buy liqour. lol

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Claudette For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
    I don't know how they determine age but if it is by appearance alone I can guarantee you that if I were ever found and unidentified they would classify me as a teenager or pre-teen even though I am 25. A few years ago I was carded to rent a rated R movie. I get the stink-eye if I try to buy liqour. lol
    They usually tell from the wisdom teeth of a person is in his/or her teens, or if they are older. If the wisdom teeth are emerging but not fully formed, the person is probably a teenager.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

Charley project states:

"he had a poor driving record and was on probation for breaking and entering"

He committed a minor hit and run. His car was found 90 minutes afterwards on the side of the highway still running.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie99909 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie99909 View Post
    Charley project states:

"he had a poor driving record and was on probation for breaking and entering"

He committed a minor hit and run. His car was found 90 minutes afterwards on the side of the highway still running.
    You're referring to Perry Corlew, right?

What makes me feel he isn't our unidentified suicide victim is that the suicide note, in my opinion, seems to refer more to a fear of the worsening of a psychological problem (or perceived problem) than fear of the repercussions of leaving the scene of an accident while on probation.

John Doe's fingerprints were circulated around the country in 1975 but he was not identified. If this person was Perry Corlew, his fingerprints would be on file with the police due to his prior criminal acts. That also makes me believe he is not John Doe.

If the fingerprints were circulated today, I wonder if there would be a match now that things are computerized.
    Last edited by Marilynilpa; 05-13-2010 at 08:59 AM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marilynilpa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    They usually tell from the wisdom teeth of a person is in his/or her teens, or if they are older. If the wisdom teeth are emerging but not fully formed, the person is probably a teenager.
    What if they have been removed or were never there? My mom never had wisdom teeth, and I actually had 6 instead of the normal 4.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Claudette For This Useful Post:

I can't help but wonder if the UID's parents ever listed him as missing. Based on the way he wrote they knew him well enough - perhaps they assumed this is what happened or that he went off to start a different life. They knew that, whatever he did, it was what he wanted and it made him happier than the life he was living. Initially when reading the letter I wondered if he was homosexual and felt that he was not welcome in the world or in his family - they have a very high suicide rate.
    Last edited by Claudette; 05-13-2010 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Adding more to my thought

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Claudette For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
    What if they have been removed or were never there? My mom never had wisdom teeth, and I actually had 6 instead of the normal 4.
    My previous answer was off the top of my head, but actually, it's a lot more complicated than just looking at wisdom teeth. The wisdom teeth are only one part of a much more detailed evaluation process.

I did a little googling on the topic, and here it is in a nutshell:

From the age of about five when the permanent teeth start replacing the baby teeth, different teeth begin to emerge and develop at different ages. By the age of about 25, all teeth are fully emerged and developed. To determine age up to the age of 25, the ME looks at different teeth, and assesses which teeth have matured and which teeth have not, and accordingly can determine age within about a three-year range.

Also, the ends of our large bones have growth plates that fuse when the bone is fully grown. The growth plates of different bones fuse at different ages, and from the age of about 11-21, age can be determined based on which growth plates have fused and which ones have not.

The sequence is as follows:
    Elbows at age 11 to 13
    Hips at age 13 to 15
    Ankles at age 14 to 16
    Knees at age 15 to 17
    Wrists at age 16 to 18
    Shoulders at age 18 to 21
    The Collarbone (at the sternum) is the last growth plate to fuse at about age 18-21.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 05-14-2010 at 01:10 AM.

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

Hmmm. Interesting - thanks!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Claudette For This Useful Post:

Wow, I hadn't seen this before now, but when I first read the "suicide letter", all I could think of was.....this was not a suicide. Other than the fact that the young man's writing sounds like it was written by someone much older and much more sage, I also hear a bit of something leaning toward incest or something as equally guilt ridden. What makes these folks so sure it WAS a suicide, is this letter the only thing? Letters can be written and forged by anyone with a good brain and good hand. JMO

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Billylee For This Useful Post:

One thing not mentioned or suggested is that it could be that the young man was not a criminal hiding from a past, but was simply, gay. Homosexuality wasn't remove from the DSM until 1973, and so it's possible, especially in a state like Louisiana, that the boys parents had taken him to see a psychologist and/or psychiatrist, for that reason.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to frankr For This Useful Post:

One thing not mentioned or suggested is that it could be that the young man was not a criminal hiding from a past, but was simply, gay. Homosexuality wasn't remove from the DSM until 1973, and so it's possible, especially in a state like Louisiana, that the boys parents had taken him to see a psychologist and/or psychiatrist, for that reason.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to frankr For This Useful Post:

Frank - that was my thinking too, see above

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Claudette For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marilynilpa View Post
    You're referring to Perry Corlew, right?

What makes me feel he isn't our unidentified suicide victim is that the suicide note, in my opinion, seems to refer more to a fear of the worsening of a psychological problem (or perceived problem) than fear of the repercussions of leaving the scene of an accident while on probation.

John Doe's fingerprints were circulated around the country in 1975 but he was not identified. If this person was Perry Corlew, his fingerprints would be on file with the police due to his prior criminal acts. That also makes me believe he is not John Doe.

If the fingerprints were circulated today, I wonder if there would be a match now that things are computerized.
    If Perry was a minor, his fingerprints were on cards which may have been destroyed within a certain time frame...possibly when his chronological age reached the age of majority in his state. Tawni Lee Mazzone/Maricopa Jane Doe was my learning curve for juvie records-no juvenile fingerprints are in electronic databases unless the crime attains a certain seriousness. (We lucked out HUGE with Tawni because although her juvie record should have been destroyed along with her print card, it was warehoused instead-so it is always worth a phone call!)

Now, I am not clear as to whether or not LA has a file on this John Doe any more??
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Corlew on Doe network
    Case 1259DMMI
    http://www.doenetwork.org/1259DMMI

Charlew on Charley Project

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/corlew_perry.html

Charley Projects 1970's Missing
    http://www.charleyproject.org/chron/1970s.html
    Last edited by PFF; 05-15-2010 at 09:34 PM.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PFF For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast