774 users online (88 members and 686 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cuffem View Post
    Seems every week there is a bus crash somewhere in the US.How long will it be and how many hurt or killed before seatbelts are mandatory?Schools can not pay for the revamping of schoolbuses it is too expensive so I believe the govt. should fund it instead of throwing money to other countries.
    sending prayers.
    Seat belts aren't mandatory on school buses??! I'm not convinced they would have saved lives, looking at the damage. So sad, those poor families

Sadly, no. Seatbelts are not mandatory in American school buses. Very few districts have them.
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

Prayers to those affected by this awful event. Rip to those children that loss their life.

Quote Originally Posted by LietKynes View Post
    Horrifying .
    Life can hand people some bad cards... but losing your child has to be about the worst.

And just about the holidays here.

Wondering if speed was a factor, considering how that bus is wrapped around the tree.
    But maybe not-- it looks like a residential area; so I'm assuming the bus wasn't going much over 25 mph ? Idk.
    Alcohol or health issue such as a heart attack, maybe? Going too fast and making a sharp turn?

I'm not sure what could have cause so much damage to the bus.

Sympathies to everyone.

Heartbreaking for everyone I saw this on my local news tonight. I can't imagine the emotions from the whole town.

Ever since my son was left on a bus when he was 5 and not dropped off, neither him or I like him on a bus. (There was a sub for the driver and I had to chase the bus down to get him off). My sitter or myself drive him to and from school everyday and he is now 14 yrs (has adhd, severe anxiety and very small for his age - looks like he is 9 or 10)

Not only do the buses not have seatbelts, but around here they seem to hire just anybody who can pass a CDL test. I had a relative with an obvious drug problem who was fired from a retail job for stealing money from the register, and got a job driving a school bus. Luckily the lady who drives my kids' bus is fantastic. Not saying this driver was at fault. We all know how fast an accident can happen. Praying for everybody.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
    MOO

Chattanooga Police Chief Fred Fletcher called the site of the crash a crime scene during a press conference tonight, and said authorities are currently investigating what caused the crash.

"One contributing factor may be speed," he said.

The bus was carrying 35 students and 23 were taken to a local hospital, according to authorities.

It took emergency crews more than two hours to get all of the students off the bus, which was toppled on its side.

Two bloodied students laid on stretchers in a front yard nearly an hour after the crash receiving attention from first responders.

Others who weren't rushed to the hospital walked away clutching their parents' hands, looking dazed with cuts on their faces.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/l...y-road/399032/

In Wake County (Raleigh,NC) the school buses do 35 mph with flashing lights on a major highway(1-40,440) were the speed limit is 55mph.This is an accident waiting to happen.We have laws for car seats but put children on a highway with no seatbelts.How about some of that lottory money for education?No new buses should be made without them.
    I just had a thought about fire evacuation,how well would that work?

So heartbreaking. Much love to the families who have to suffer through this tragedy.

Given the state that bus is in its possible even seatbelts wouldn't have saved them. That said, I totally agree schoolbuses should have seatbelts.

Terrible tragedy all the families of the children who have died are in my prayers. All the injured children and their families are also in my prayers. The poor children who have survived look understandably traumatised I hope they have access to counselling ASAP. Just before Thanksgiving and Christmas too it's just awful. 2016 has been a very tragic year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tillicum View Post
    BBM Some victims could be siblings too
    That would be really horrible. That is a major understatement.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

Quote Originally Posted by meanmaryjean View Post
    Sadly, no. Seatbelts are not mandatory in American school buses. Very few districts have them.
    I've never seen seatbelts on school buses, although we live in a district that's considered desirable. One of the things is, they pad the seats so kids who are flung around typically do okay in a minor accident, and few school buses are in major accidents. Also, it is hard to get kids off a bus if they're belted in and there's a problem like a small wreck that could cause a fire. I think the need to evacuate a bus for a safety issue overrides the need to strap kids in when the seats are all padded.

This is horrifically sad. Prayers for parents who lost their beloved children, and prayers for families who are struggling with hospitalized children.

Multiple Fatalities - elementary students killed in Tennessee school bus crash

Bus driver arrested charged w 5 counts vehicular homicide per Nashville News 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All statements are my opinion only.

Quote Originally Posted by JeannaT View Post
    I've never seen seatbelts on school buses, although we live in a district that's considered desirable. One of the things is, they pad the seats so kids who are flung around typically do okay in a minor accident, and few school buses are in major accidents. Also, it is hard to get kids off a bus if they're belted in and there's a problem like a small wreck that could cause a fire. I think the need to evacuate a bus for a safety issue overrides the need to strap kids in when the seats are all padded.

This is horrifically sad. Prayers for parents who lost their beloved children, and prayers for families who are struggling with hospitalized children.
    I rode in school buses with no seat belts when I was a kid. I thought it was strange. Lucky we had no accidents.
    Last edited by HMSHood; 11-22-2016 at 01:12 AM.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood

The deadliest school bus accident in history. It claimed 29 lives on May 21, 1976 in Martinez, California.

Yuba City High School… 1976 Bus Accident
    http://www.loripuente.com/yuba-city-...-bus-accident/

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast