UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greater Than

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
do75ld.jpg

https://www.suffolk.police.uk/sites/suffolk/files/page/downloads/corriemckeague-missing-poster.pdf

Fears growing for missing RAF serviceman who vanished after night out

Concerns were growing today for the safety of a young military policeman who vanished after a night out and may have tried to walk eight miles back to his base.

[...]

Camera operators saw him getting up and walking off - but he failed to return to Honington, the headquarters of the RAF Force Protection who guard UK military installations around the world.

Despite an appeal to motorists, villagers along the serviceman’s route and a search by the Suffolk police helicopter there has been no trace of him.

Corrie is described as white, 5ft 10ins tall, medium build, with short light brown hair. He was wearing a light-pink polo shirt and white jeans when last seen.

Find Corrie Facebook Page

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4

Before continuing, please take some time to review The Rules Forum.
In particular, the Social Media thread and the Etiquette & Information thread.

It is each member's responsibility to become familiar with and post in accordance of Websleuths' Rules and Terms of Service.

PLEASE NOTE:

Corrie's personal Facebook account is set to private. If you have access to it or get in a back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

The tax status of Corrie's car is irrelevant and off limits.

Only updates provided by the admin/family on the Find Corrie Facebook page may be discussed. If you aren't satisfied with the timeliness or contents of their updates, please keep it to yourself.

Visitor comments and posts on that page are off limits, as they are considered rumor. Websleuths does not permit discussion of rumors or gossip. Even if admin/family responds to a visitor post that they will look into the visitor's question/info, it is off limits. Posts referencing such comments tend to grow legs and before you know it, those rumors/speculative comments end up evolving into stated fact.

If you state something as fact, you must provide a link to an approved source (LE, MSM, admin/family on the Find Corrie Facebook page) to back it up. If you can't link it, you can't post it.

If you have a concern about a post or see a post in violation of Websleuths' Rules or TOS, please hit the alert button to report it. Do not quote or reply to the post. If a moderator removes the post, replies are subject to removal as well.

And lastly, please remember that Corrie's family members are victims. Their worlds have been turned upside down and they are desperate to find their loved one. The last thing we want to do is add to their pain. Criticizing them or any aspect of their updates will not be tolerated, and sleuthing their personal social media accounts is strictly against the rules. If you find information they have posted regarding this case on their personal pages, leave it there. Only information they post on the official Find Corrie FB page can be brought into discussion here.

Please post respectfully and responsibly.

I never knew the 'alert' button existed. Thanks for this information and back to sleuthing the facts...

Showing my complete ignorance here I realise, but could someone clarify the "Horseshoe" area and the "Bin area" please?

I had (quite possibly wrongly) assumed they were one and the same, but notice from a previous poster's map they appear totally separate areas.

Showing my complete ignorance here I realise, but could someone clarify the "Horseshoe" area and the "Bin area" please?

I had (quite possibly wrongly) assumed they were one and the same, but notice from a previous poster's map they appear totally separate areas.
They are both the same thing @jessie. the mix up was a drawing of a horse shoe shape on the photo, I had to look at it for ages to figure it out as it looks upside down to what I have seen before.
the area which I think you mean is the town centre car park, the monument is in the centre of that car park.
the bin /horseshoe area is highlighted towards the top of the screen, if you follow the green route it has times marked on there, 1-15, 1-30 etc this is the known route he took.
The horseshoe bin area has a complete ring around it about 1/4 the way down the centre of the photo, at the end of the green line.I think it was highlighted in red, if not I will edit this post.
Hope this helps .

They are both the same thing @jessie. the mix up was a drawing of a horse shoe shape on the photo, I had to look at it for ages to figure it out as it looks upside down to what I have seen before.
the area which I think you mean is the town centre car park, the monument is in the centre of that car park.
the bin /horseshoe area is highlighted towards the top of the screen, if you follow the green route it has times marked on there, 1-15, 1-30 etc this is the known route he took.
The horseshoe bin area has a complete ring around it about 1/4 the way down the centre of the photo, at the end of the green line.I think it was highlighted in red, if not I will edit this post.
Hope this helps .

Thanks rtl. I became confused after the map, Corrie was last seen at the "bin area" yes? That is all that matters.
Does it have 2 names, 'bin area' and/or 'horseshoe'? Is that where I got confused ?

It seems to have 2 I don't know if calling it 'horseshoe' is just referring to the shape or a name for it that I never knew of.
The bin area at the back of superdrug is what I would call it in conversation if I were to talk locally about it.

hey you're not alone Jessie.....many have been confused about that area (myself incl.) from the beginning until now. The area was referred to as 'dead end' and people thought that meant the whole area there....that's when some said there are walk-thru paths but dead end to vehicles. Then it was 2 areas....the horseshoe/bins and parking leading to walk-thru to shops. The same queries are being raised and, surveying map, I think I have it clear now....maybe...

From what I can tell, the loading bay, bin area, and horseshoe are all the same place. I've started to use the terms interchangeably in my posts.

The best thing to do really is to go to street view on Google maps, but if you can't do that, I see it as like a deep lay-by that has shops in an odd-shaped three-sided side-on rectangle, and then the open side of the rectangle has paved pedestrian-only traffic that can walk across, and over the street is an actual road that's open to traffic (Short Brackland).

So a car can go into the horseshoe/loading bay/bin area and park, there's space to turn around, and people are walking past that open side of the rectangle/horseshoe.

There are no alleys between the shops on the closed side of the horseshoe, so sometimes it's been referred to as a dead-end, but it's not like a tight dead-end or a dark, narrow alley, it's a quite wide, open area.

Each of the backs to the shops that surround the horseshoe seems to be blocked off by a high wall and tall metal fencing with gates in them that are the same height as the fencing...the fencing and wall looked to be a few feet taller than Corrie. There are, however, black metal staircases that seem to lead up to the higher levels above the shops or to the roof area, I'm not sure which.

Earlier updates on the suffolk police site have said that the area has been forensically checked for signs of Corrie, and that's come up blank. My speculation would be that forensic checking would be like looking for fingerprints on those staircases or on the top of the fencing (not that it looks like something you could climb over), or maybe blood traces on the wall, the sides and corners of the bins, or on the ground. Apparently it may have rained between the early hours of Saturday and the time the forensics team went in, but if blood had a chance to dry there, then I think a thorough forensic search should still find some specks.

On the subject of the forensic searching, I would think that they'd also do fingerprint checks on the lids of the bins? We've been told the forensic checks came back negative, but I guess that if fingerprints had been smudged by later users opening the lid, that that would come back negative anyway, and a negative result doesn't necessarily mean that Corrie didn't touch those bin lids. Clarification on that point might be useful?

The first mention of 'horseshoe' I saw / heard was in the radio interview by Nicola earlier this month (transcript and link to radio interview here):

"He's seen on CCTV while he's sleeping, he then wakes up and he walks down and goes behind the shops at Brentgovel Street ... Greggs ... which is classed as a horseshoe of shops."

Seems to have caught on since then!

Earlier updates on the suffolk police site have said that the area has been forensically checked for signs of Corrie, and that's come up blank. My speculation would be that forensic checking would be like looking for fingerprints on those staircases or on the top of the fencing (not that it looks like something you could climb over), or maybe blood traces on the wall, the sides and corners of the bins, or on the ground. Apparently it may have rained between the early hours of Saturday and the time the forensics team went in, but if blood had a chance to dry there, then I think a thorough forensic search should still find some specks.

On the subject of the forensic searching, I would think that they'd also do fingerprint checks on the lids of the bins? We've been told the forensic checks came back negative, but I guess that if fingerprints had been smudged by later users opening the lid, that that would come back negative anyway, and a negative result doesn't necessarily mean that Corrie didn't touch those bin lids. Clarification on that point might be useful?

Do you think they would have gone as far as dusting for fingerprints when the area wasn't being treated as a crime scene (as far as we know)? I would have expected that kind of forensic testing to make at least the local news - photos of the forensics team, area being cordoned off etc.? I had just assumed that their 'forensic search' was maybe sniffer dogs and manual searches for any trace of him / a crime having taken place (clothing, wallet, obvious sign of blood etc.).

Nicola has just posted on the FB group (a public group):

On Wednesday and Thursday this week the police pod will be back in front of McDonald's in Bury town centre. The CCTV of the unidentified 23 people will be shown. Please come down and have a look. ...
UNQUOTE

Link here

Will get down there and have a look.

Previously, updates & posts on the official find Corrie page suggested that they knew a lot more than we did, Tony's wording made me assume it was narrowed down to 3 cars which they knew the identity of.

Nicolas post this morning makes me now think otherwise.
Tony seemed so sure of investigations but Nicola seems desperate to now identify the 20 odd people who have not came forward... is this case not as far on as we assumed towards the end of thread 4?
I have really been hoping for a widespread media drop of these images, not the hub being set up in bury again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited due to multi tasking bad spelling [emoji85]

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 584
Thanks rtl. I became confused after the map, Corrie was last seen at the "bin area" yes? That is all that matters.
Does it have 2 names, 'bin area' and/or 'horseshoe'? Is that where I got confused ?
That could have been myself that started the confusion to be fair as I was trying to emphasis that the original 'dead end' location actually was accessible from various points and was in fact a 'horseshoe' shape. Further, the 'bin area' was within the 'horseshoe'.

Suffice to say they are all one and the same (see map supplied). :)
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 591
Thread 5 & still no Corrie - my heart aches for his poor family & friends ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was under the impression thet the horseshoe was a collective name for the area seen in second CCTV along with the loading bay , the read loading bay on the map along with the blue bit at end of shortbrackland street, but I'm probely wrong,

If anyone is local to BSE and are available when the Police Pod roles into town, can they pop in for some extra information please? Particularly, video/CCTV information. Take as much information as possible from that pod and report back. We need it to progress! TIA

If anyone is local to BSE and are available when the Police Pod roles into town, can they pop in for some extra information please? Particularly, video/CCTV information. Take as much information as possible from that pod and report back. We need it to progress! TIA

On the last thread I asked who was local and I think there were about 5 or 6 but I can't find the post - Tricksy, Roger, Mel, who else?

(thumbs up if you are)

I hope at least one of you can view this new footage at the weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail