Welcome to The Murder Accountability Project!

Hi Everyone,

Do we have a site for you! The Murder Accountability Project.

The message below is from Tom Hargrove. Mr. Hargrove is the Director of the Murder Accountability Project.

The Murder Accountability Project is a nonprofit group based in Alexandria, Virginia, and operated by a Board of Directors that includes veteran homicide investigators, investigative journalists and homicide scholars. The project is intended to be a resource for police,
journalists and families of murder victims who want to know more about unsolved murders in their communities. The project is provided free-of-charge and can be accessed at www.murderdata.org

This website gives the public easy-to-use access to two datasets maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation: the Uniform Crime Report from 1965 to the present and — more useful for police investigators — the Supplemental Homicide Report from 1976 to the present. These are voluntary reporting systems, meaning local police are not required to provide any information to the FBI.

The Murder Accountability Project, using the Freedom of Information Act, has obtained data on more than 22,000 homicides that were not reported to the Justice Department. This means the information at www.murderdata.org is the most complete data on U.S. homicides available anywhere.

To download the four-page briefing document we give to homicide investigators, click on this link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59764882/HowToForMAP2016.pdf

In the coming weeks, we will be working with Mr. Hargrove and his incredible group of people to show you how you can use the information the group offerers for your local community

.So much to tell you but for now please get familiar with the site. Feel free to post questions.

Thank you,

Tricia Griffith
Owner/Websleuths.com

Hello Websleuthers!

There are many uses for the "Search Cases" function at www.murderdata.org. One of them is that serial killers, if they are prolific enough, become visually obvious.

If you want to see the work of Green River Killer Gary Ridgway, simply select "Seattle" under metro area, "strangulation" or "unknown or other" under weapon, and "female" under victim's sex. Normally, most of the bar graphs will be grey. But when there are too many unsolved cases in a cluster, most of the area of the bar graphs turn red. Generally, America solves about two-thirds of it's murders.

We've created an online display of more than 700,000 homicide cases going back to 1976 in an attempt to "crowd source" murder. Often, you'll see a "sea of red" when you've selected search criteria that indicate the work of prolific serial killers.

Please let me know if you find any.

Thomas Hargrove
Chairman and Founder, Murder Accountability Project

If you want to see the results of the Long Island Serial Killer (LISK) go to the "Search Cases" tab at www.murderdata.org. Then select "New York" under states, "Nassau" and "Suffolk" counties under county, "female" under victim sex and "other or type unknown" under weapon.

Our you can go to this shortcut: http://public.tableau.com/shared/3X5DSP5C5?:display_count=yes

We first learned about LISK in 2010 when four bodies were discovered along Gilgo Beach. But if you slide the year slider back to 2009, you'll see what this cluster looked like before any of the LISK bodies were discovered. In all, there are 50 murdered women in this cluster. Even before 2010, it was obvious Long Island was suffering a serial killer who was depositing his victims out-of-doors so that the bodies were weathered to the point that coroners could not determine the cause of death.

Let me know if you have questions. Undetected serial killers can be located easily using the Murder Accountability Project datasets.

If you want to see the results of the Long Island Serial Killer (LISK) go to the "Search Cases" tab at www.murderdata.org. Then select "New York" under states, "Nassau" and "Suffolk" counties under county, "female" under victim sex and "other or type unknown" under weapon.

Our you can go to this shortcut: http://public.tableau.com/shared/3X5DSP5C5?:display_count=yes

We first learned about LISK in 2010 when four bodies were discovered along Gilgo Beach. But if you slide the year slider back to 2009, you'll see what this cluster looked like before any of the LISK bodies were discovered. In all, there are 50 murdered women in this cluster. Even before 2010, it was obvious Long Island was suffering a serial killer who was depositing his victims out-of-doors so that the bodies were weathered to the point that coroners could not determine the cause of death.

Let me know if you have questions. Undetected serial killers can be located easily using the Murder Accountability Project datasets.

I wish there was something like this project in Australia, especially in the case of the Claremont Serial Killer (CSK). Although not as numerous as in the United States, by virtue of our smaller population, nevertheless there would be a few undiscovered serial murders here due to the vastness of our continent and the isolation of most of our major cities and regional centres from one another. Here's wishing you well with thanks for fighting for justice for VoC in the US.

I wish there was something like this project in Australia, especially in the case of the Claremont Serial Killer (CSK). Although not as numerous as in the United States, by virtue of our smaller population, nevertheless there would be a few undiscovered serial murders here due to the vastness of our continent and the isolation of most of our major cities and regional centres from one another. Here's wishing you well with thanks for fighting for justice for VoC in the US.
Would be super cool for here Bo.....
Why not jump on board with the long Island case ...

I think Im the lone aussie that's been in the forum for years...you can help me...you know how I think
..Puggle *advertiser censored*

Would be super cool for here Bo.....
Why not jump on board with the long Island case ...

I think Im the lone aussie that's been in the forum for years...you can help me...you know how I think
..Puggle *advertiser censored*

I'll read up during our Christmas holidays. There's lot to get through though - you might not see me post again until 2018!

An astounding tool! Kudos to Tom Hargrove and the group!! Hopefully police jurisdictions will equally improve supplying adequate and up to date information to feed into the system.

-Nin

Hello Websleuthers!

There are many uses for the "Search Cases" function at www.murderdata.org. One of them is that serial killers, if they are prolific enough, become visually obvious.

If you want to see the work of Green River Killer Gary Ridgway, simply select "Seattle" under metro area, "strangulation" or "unknown or other" under weapon, and "female" under victim's sex. Normally, most of the bar graphs will be grey. But when there are too many unsolved cases in a cluster, most of the area of the bar graphs turn red. Generally, America solves about two-thirds of it's murders.

We've created an online display of more than 700,000 homicide cases going back to 1976 in an attempt to "crowd source" murder. Often, you'll see a "sea of red" when you've selected search criteria that indicate the work of prolific serial killers.

Thomas Hargrove

I stand in awe of your analytical ability and your dedication. Salute!

As you can see by my stripped-down profile, this is my first post and I felt the need to say that I was (probably like numerous others) turned onto this community by "The Killing Season", but just by using the different formulas in the county I live in in New Jersey, it speaks volumes of how numbers do not lie.
I live in Somerset County, NJ, which is a pretty "safe" county, but there's a lot of patterns here also.
Thatnks for providing me with this tool and for all of this information, I intend to use it and hopefully contribute somehow.

i am fairly new to this community and excited to take a look through this site and see whats going on

Hello Websleuthers!

Thomas Hargrove

Great tool. I'm finding it extremely easy to learn and use.

Some Feedback for Improvement: When using the 'Search Case' function, it would be nice to be able to have the option to prioritize the listing results by "Year" under the 'Full data' tab.

Kodiak:

Yes, I agree it would be nice if the case-level data could be sorted by year or month or other items among the more than 30 variables we get from the FBI. This is a current limitation for the Tableau Software system.

One work-around technique is to copy and paste the data into a spreadsheet like Excel. Then you can sort and manipulate the information easily.

Yet it is astonishing how efficiently Tableau can process more than 700,000 records. When I query the raw data using statistical software like SPSS, basic search commands can take 10 seconds or longer to execute on my desktop computer. But Tableau runs queries in just a second to two across the Internet.

For all of its limitations, Tableau has created an amazing online research tool.

Fascinating tool! Thank you for your dedication.

Kodiak:

Yes, I agree it would be nice if the case-level data could be sorted by year or month or other items among the more than 30 variables we get from the FBI. This is a current limitation for the Tableau Software system.

One work-around technique is to copy and paste the data into a spreadsheet like Excel. Then you can sort and manipulate the information easily.

Yet it is astonishing how efficiently Tableau can process more than 700,000 records. When I query the raw data using statistical software like SPSS, basic search commands can take 10 seconds or longer to execute on my desktop computer. But Tableau runs queries in just a second to two across the Internet.

For all of its limitations, Tableau has created an amazing online research tool.

Thanks for the response. I completely understand about the limitations.

But, I'm glad that the share function of the search results works great for the forums. I've been using it to post reports on possible links to suspected serial killer, Neal Falls, here.

Hi Everyone,

Do we have a site for you! The Murder Accountability Project.

The message below is from Tom Hargrove. Mr. Hargrove is the Director of the Murder Accountability Project.

The Murder Accountability Project is a nonprofit group based in Alexandria, Virginia, and operated by a Board of Directors that includes veteran homicide investigators, investigative journalists and homicide scholars. The project is intended to be a resource for police,
journalists and families of murder victims who want to know more about unsolved murders in their communities. The project is provided free-of-charge and can be accessed at www.murderdata.org

This website gives the public easy-to-use access to two datasets maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation: the Uniform Crime Report from 1965 to the present and — more useful for police investigators — the Supplemental Homicide Report from 1976 to the present. These are voluntary reporting systems, meaning local police are not required to provide any information to the FBI.

The Murder Accountability Project, using the Freedom of Information Act, has obtained data on more than 22,000 homicides that were not reported to the Justice Department. This means the information at www.murderdata.org is the most complete data on U.S. homicides available anywhere.

To download the four-page briefing document we give to homicide investigators, click on this link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59764882/HowToForMAP2016.pdf

In the coming weeks, we will be working with Mr. Hargrove and his incredible group of people to show you how you can use the information the group offerers for your local community

.So much to tell you but for now please get familiar with the site. Feel free to post questions.

Thank you,

Tricia Griffith
Owner/Websleuths.com

Great. I was looking for this after watching The Killing Season, Episode 6. Thanks Tricia. Great stuff.

i'm here Puggle ....you are not the only lonely Australian ........although I get too scared to post, I am there reading and liking xxxxxx

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmdigital
Back