1285 users online (261 members and 1024 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Thank you, really thank you, for these thoughts. We have gathered records on more than 715,000 homicides, searchable by year, geography down to the county and police agency, victim's sex, exact age, race and method of killing. I too have wondered how feasible it would be to automate Web searching tools to match news accounts and other sources to the files. We'd love to put names to all these unnamed dead.

I'm glad you've been downloading the data. Although we spend considerable effort obtaining these records, we want them to be as widely disseminated as possible. We recently added four years (1976-1979) at the request of two homicide detectives, one in Wisconsin and on in Florida, who were chasing multiple-victim killers who may have been active in the late 1970s. The FBI does not have comparable data that goes back any farther than 1976. Those records along with the data we got from our Illinois lawsuit are available for download now.

Feel free to call me anytime if you'd like to discuss your ideas further. My cell is 571-606-5999 and email thomashargrove@verizon.net.

--Tom Hargrove, Murder Accountability Project

I wish there was something like this in Scotland , there were 10 sex workers killed and still unsolved and I'm hearing the same stuff we could have a serial killer but also on the lack of work the police put into investigating these cases because they were sex workers i find this so sad and it makes me angry !

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hargrove View Post
    Thank you, really thank you, for these thoughts. We have gathered records on more than 715,000 homicides, searchable by year, geography down to the county and police agency, victim's sex, exact age, race and method of killing. I too have wondered how feasible it would be to automate Web searching tools to match news accounts and other sources to the files. We'd love to put names to all these unnamed dead.

I'm glad you've been downloading the data. Although we spend considerable effort obtaining these records, we want them to be as widely disseminated as possible. We recently added four years (1976-1979) at the request of two homicide detectives, one in Wisconsin and on in Florida, who were chasing multiple-victim killers who may have been active in the late 1970s. The FBI does not have comparable data that goes back any farther than 1976. Those records along with the data we got from our Illinois lawsuit are available for download now.

Feel free to call me anytime if you'd like to discuss your ideas further. My cell is 571-606-5999 and email thomashargrove@verizon.net.

--Tom Hargrove, Murder Accountability Project
    Hi Mr. Hargrove,

This project is absolutely brilliant. Is this strictly a database, or is there a way in your system to map these homicides? Perhaps by color-coding each decade, it might be easier to visualize patterns or clusters. (Or maybe you're already doing something like this.)

Quote Originally Posted by NJEverCurious View Post
    Hi Mr. Hargrove,

This project is absolutely brilliant. Is this strictly a database, or is there a way in your system to map these homicides? Perhaps by color-coding each decade, it might be easier to visualize patterns or clusters. (Or maybe you're already doing something like this.)
    Great suggestion😉

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Addicted

Lurking or sleuthing, at all hours of the day & night, many times falling asleep with phone in hand/laptop in lap

Will NOT be held liable for the following:

Paragraph Structure
    Grammar
    Appropriate Language
    Using Contractions Correctly
    Correct use of Acronyms ( should I attempt them )
    Punctuation
    Falling asleep mid response

*terms subject to change without notice*

Quote Originally Posted by NJEverCurious View Post
    Hi Mr. Hargrove,

Thanks for your questions, NJEverCurious. Unfortunately, the Supplementary Homicide Report, the FBI source for most of the records you see at the "Search Cases" tab, does not include the street address of homicides, preventing geo-coding. This is very unfortunate since disorganized serial killers often operate in a pretty tight geography. We may be able to pick up geocoding as law enforcement transitions to the National Incident Based Reporting System (NIBRS) in the coming years.

Color coding by decade is an interesting idea. But with the year "slider" you already can isolate any range of consecutive years you wish. Thanks for your suggestions.

Mr. Hargrove and other advocates,
    I'm a NE Ohio resident living about 30 miles east of Cleveland. For several years I've advocated for missing persons and noticed unsolved missing, rape kits and investigations unsolved. I'm hopeful that better compilation of data like yours can light a fire under police jurisdictions, and thank you for your dedication.
    Last edited by sammyed; 12-25-2016 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Autospell

I am beyond excited to start reading into all of this, I know it won't take me long to be enthralled!

It seems to be such a huge problem with law enforcement not communicating and sharing information. Hopefully law enforcement will take a serious look at this and take notes!

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

I love the idea of creating volunteer groups! I am a Sociology Graduate student wanting to get some real data entry / research experience outside of the classroom. It would be so neat to not only get to gain that experience but also to help out local law enforcement in solving all of these cold cases.

I would love to speak to someone there is issues in dad's case that involves a the original investigator made statements that hasn't been proven true and he was friends with the person of interest in my missing farther any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseMNola View Post
    Hello! I'm brand new to Websleuths and forum posting in general. I was brought here by not only 'The Killing Season', but the 'My Favorite Murder' podcast. I've been keeping track of people who go missing in New Orleans via my blog nolamissing.tumblr.com after my own weird experience with a guy who may have been trying to kidnap me. One of my problems is that the NOPD sends out email alerts when people are reported missing, but doesn't update if they're found, so I have no idea how many of the people I've posted have returned home since.

Looking at the stats on this awesome tool, I'm not surprised to find that overall New Orleans has a 48.64% clearance rate. In the past 10 years it's down to 30.22%, which puts it below Cleveland! I'm hoping 'The Killing Season' heads down here next season, to shed some light on this problem. The only time I've ever heard the words 'serial killer' thrown around is by locals, but sometimes we get clusters of similar-looking girls going missing around the same time.

Sadly, New Orleans is the perfect place for a serial killer to operate, because the majority of us here are Black, in a Southern city that still has an unsaid racial hierarchy, with a police department that's in shambles. Dumb criminals don't even get caught here, so what's a smart one to fear?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5