755 users online (113 members and 642 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hargrove View Post
    Kodiak:

Yes, I agree it would be nice if the case-level data could be sorted by year or month or other items among the more than 30 variables we get from the FBI. This is a current limitation for the Tableau Software system.

One work-around technique is to copy and paste the data into a spreadsheet like Excel. Then you can sort and manipulate the information easily.

Yet it is astonishing how efficiently Tableau can process more than 700,000 records. When I query the raw data using statistical software like SPSS, basic search commands can take 10 seconds or longer to execute on my desktop computer. But Tableau runs queries in just a second to two across the Internet.

For all of its limitations, Tableau has created an amazing online research tool.
    Thanks for the response. I completely understand about the limitations.

But, I'm glad that the share function of the search results works great for the forums. I've been using it to post reports on possible links to suspected serial killer, Neal Falls, here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Do we have a site for you! The Murder Accountability Project.

The message below is from Tom Hargrove. Mr. Hargrove is the Director of the Murder Accountability Project.

The Murder Accountability Project is a nonprofit group based in Alexandria, Virginia, and operated by a Board of Directors that includes veteran homicide investigators, investigative journalists and homicide scholars. The project is intended to be a resource for police,
    journalists and families of murder victims who want to know more about unsolved murders in their communities. The project is provided free-of-charge and can be accessed at www.murderdata.org

This website gives the public easy-to-use access to two datasets maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation: the Uniform Crime Report from 1965 to the present and — more useful for police investigators — the Supplemental Homicide Report from 1976 to the present. These are voluntary reporting systems, meaning local police are not required to provide any information to the FBI.

The Murder Accountability Project, using the Freedom of Information Act, has obtained data on more than 22,000 homicides that were not reported to the Justice Department. This means the information at www.murderdata.org is the most complete data on U.S. homicides available anywhere.

To download the four-page briefing document we give to homicide investigators, click on this link:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ForMAP2016.pdf

In the coming weeks, we will be working with Mr. Hargrove and his incredible group of people to show you how you can use the information the group offerers for your local community

.So much to tell you but for now please get familiar with the site. Feel free to post questions.

Thank you,

Tricia Griffith
    Owner/Websleuths.com

Great. I was looking for this after watching The Killing Season, Episode 6. Thanks Tricia. Great stuff.

i'm here Puggle ....you are not the only lonely Australian ........although I get too scared to post, I am there reading and liking xxxxxx
    Last edited by ediethedog; 11-28-2016 at 10:03 AM. Reason: spelling and typing disaster

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. Buddha
    Mr. Hargrove,

You have a question from Mike from the Websleuths Twitter account.

Any way to access various Victim's names as opposed to just raw data & Numbers?

Thank you, Tricia
    Websleuths is TEMPORARILY accepting donations.

CLICK HERE
    to visit our GoFundMe page

OR

Quote Originally Posted by mikestack1 View Post
    As you can see by my stripped-down profile, this is my first post and I felt the need to say that I was (probably like numerous others) turned onto this community by "The Killing Season", but just by using the different formulas in the county I live in in New Jersey, it speaks volumes of how numbers do not lie.
    I live in Somerset County, NJ, which is a pretty "safe" county, but there's a lot of patterns here also.
    Thatnks for providing me with this tool and for all of this information, I intend to use it and hopefully contribute somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandi View Post
    i am fairly new to this community and excited to take a look through this site and see whats going on
    Welcome

:

Quote Originally Posted by ediethedog View Post
    i'm here Puggle ....you are not the only lonely Australian ........although I get too scared to post, I am there reading and liking xxxxxx
    Yay my ediethedog is here .......xxx .... and don't be scared to post !!

TOM HARGROVE THE DIRECTOR OF THE MURDER ACCOUNTABILITY PROJECT IS OUR GUEST TONIGHT ON WEBSLEUTHS RADIO

THE KILLING SEASON EPISODES 5 & 6 DISCUSSION WILL AIR LIVE TONIGHT 8:00 PM EASTERN LISTEN HERE

Filmmakers Josh Zeman and Rachel Mills are back to discuss two of the wildest episodes yet! Episodes 5 & 6 that aired Saturday night. If you missed these episodes you can catch up on A&E RIGHT HERE

Tuesday 8 PM Eastern on Websleuths Radio Josh and Rachel welcome Tom Hargrove from The Murder Accountability Project. Along with Chief of Detectives at the Charleston Police Department in West Virginia Steve Cooper. Also on the show prosecutor Marieclair Akers from the Charleston District Attorney’s office.

Is Neal Falls the Long Island Serial Killer? Why did the police tell Stacey Gage's daughter they weren't going to look for her missing mother?

Personally, I want to ask Josh what he was thinking when he went up to an angry guy with a machete in a field and tried to have a conversation with him? Does Josh have a death wish? We want to know!!

What surprises are coming up on the last two episodes? Feel free to call in with any questions (713)-955-0606 Don't miss The Killing Season on A&E Saturday night 9 PM Eastern.Remember TONIGHT we are LIVE on Websleuths Radio at 8:00 PM Eastern

CLICK HERE

OR

nice , about time !!!!!!
    Suzanne Marie Sevakis Welcome home.

Hello Mr. Hardgrove,

I came across something interesting when I looked up homicide clearances in the Monterey County, where I live in California. To ne more specific, going back to around 2009, there are an average of about 30 unsolved homicides that are all gun related. Now, there is a prevalent gang issue in Salinas, but deaths are typically of the Hispanic race in this regard. The interesting aspect is the the race for nearly all of the unsolved murders are stated to be of the White Male origin. Do you think a serial killer (or killers) could be working in the area, or could the race portion of the Murder Accountability site be somehow incorrect?

I have yet to investigate further, but would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thank you,

New Websleuther

Thank you for that question, Wolfdad11.

Ethnicity (Hispanic-ness or non-Hispanic-ness) is not considered to be a race. Most Hispanics in the United States consider themselves to be racially "white." Since the racial choices are white, black, Asian, American Indian or "other", police agencies generally record Hispanics as "white." The FBI has a separate variable for allowing police to code whether or not a victim or offender is Hispanic, but most police opt out of using this variable.

As to what's going on in Monteray County, your police seem to be overwhelmed. In the last decade, 349 people have been murdered in your county, but police have made arrests in only 127 of them. That is a clearance rate of 36 percent, which is flat awful.

It is possible that most of these are Hispanic Americans. Based on your comment, it is likely.

But it is certain that most of these killings have been linked by police to "juvenile gangs." You can see that by pulling up everything the FBI was told about these killings. See the "how to use" tab to learn how to pull up the complete case-by-case files.

It should be noted that many police departments have learned how to defeat street gangs. Many others, however, have not yet learned that gangs can be beaten.

Criminlogist of Serial Killings
    Hello,

I have watched all the episodes of the killing Season including tonight..I have a Bachelors in Science, in Criminal Justicell from Northeastern University..One of my professors Is an Icon in studying and profiling Serial Murders, he has met with Manson, Bundy( Before he was executed and many prominent other Serial Murderers, his name is Jack Levin, he resides in Sharon, MA. He has retired from Northeastern University but, he still dabbles a ton in Serial murders/Mass Murders with his colleague James Foxx he also resides in Sharon, MA. You guys should definitely get his take, he is great people and would I am sure love to give his feedback/opinion he has been on Dateline, World news tonight, 20/20 and other high profile shows.

Kristin
    Stella19

for Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Do we have a site for you! The Murder Accountability Project.

The message below is from Tom Hargrove. Mr. Hargrove is the Director of the Murder Accountability Project.

The Murder Accountability Project is a nonprofit group based in Alexandria, Virginia, and operated by a Board of Directors that includes veteran homicide investigators, investigative journalists and homicide scholars. The project is intended to be a resource for police,
    journalists and families of murder victims who want to know more about unsolved murders in their communities. The project is provided free-of-charge and can be accessed at www.murderdata.org

This website gives the public easy-to-use access to two datasets maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation: the Uniform Crime Report from 1965 to the present and — more useful for police investigators — the Supplemental Homicide Report from 1976 to the present. These are voluntary reporting systems, meaning local police are not required to provide any information to the FBI.

The Murder Accountability Project, using the Freedom of Information Act, has obtained data on more than 22,000 homicides that were not reported to the Justice Department. This means the information at www.murderdata.org is the most complete data on U.S. homicides available anywhere.

To download the four-page briefing document we give to homicide investigators, click on this link:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ForMAP2016.pdf

In the coming weeks, we will be working with Mr. Hargrove and his incredible group of people to show you how you can use the information the group offerers for your local community

.So much to tell you but for now please get familiar with the site. Feel free to post questions.

Thank you,

Tricia Griffith
    Owner/Websleuths.com

Is there anything like this in Canada?
    I mean Robert Pickton was caught feeding sex workers to his pigs (i lived close when some women went missing) There has been missing and murdered women on the "Highway of Tears" (British Columbia) and the sky tours the cops give (they take you out of town at night and "drop you off"..some have never maid it home (happens in Alberta and Ontario( that i know of))
    I know this post is a bit scattered, but i just want to know if anything even close to this is available or up and running in Canada.
    Last edited by acallow; 12-03-2016 at 11:22 PM. Reason: I had more to say

Hi All. .I Just Found This Site From Watching The Killing Season On A&E. ...I think it's great for anyone who may want to help solve any kinds of murders and or missing people. ....keep up the great work

Tom Hargrove and The Murder Accountability Project are a big part of the season Finale of The Killing Season on A&E

Great Job Tom!!!!

CLICK HERE

OR

Thanks so much for all your hard work connecting dots and bringing it to light!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast