WV WV - Steven Berry, 22, Fairmont, 24 July 1986

JusticeWillBeServed

Reaction score
Steven Berry was about to enter his senior year at Fairmont State College. He was a member of the Tau Kappa Epsilon (TKE) fraternity and the senior senator in student government. Over thirty years ago on July 24th, he left his apartment right across from campus, just before 2:00 p.m. He hasn't been seen since then. That same day, his car was found parked at the Pittsburgh Airport. There was nothing to prove that he took a flight that day or that he was even at the airport himself.

Foul play is suspected in Steven's disappearance. In the three decades since he disappeared, investigators have said that some strong suspects exist in the case but no one has ever been charged. They are hoping people will come forward with more information.

I'm not sure if Steven is listed in NamUs at this time. I can't find more information in general on his disappearance.

Cold Case Investigations: The Disappearance Of Steven Berry

"I think it's painfully obvious that after 30 years, he met an early demise," said Det. Sgt. Brian Stewart of the Fairmont Police Department.

30 years without answers on how, or why, a 22-year-old Fairmont State College student went missing.

"Obviously something happened to him. Either prior to leaving his house or shortly after leaving his house," Stewart said.

Stewart said they do not have proof of what happened to Berry.

While leads are not flooding in, Stewart said he hopes talking about the case will bring information forward.

"It allows the public a chance to revisit it and hopefully jog somebody's memory and somebody may come forward with information," Stewart said.

He added they will continue to work the case until they have answers.

"Fairly often, we sit down and discuss these cold cases and talk about possible ways that we can revisit them, possible people that we can go re-interview," Stewart said.

steven berry.jpg

Is it weird that his car was found the same day as his disappearance? How was it found at the Pittsburgh Airport so quickly?

From Ancestry.com
E8CB70EB-5532-40B2-826B-5AF52C6A6327.jpeg
Name: Steven Berry
Estimated Age: Abt 20
Birth Year: abt 1965
Yearbook Date: 1985
School: Fairmont State College
School Location: Fairmont, West Virginia, USA
Photo Description: CIGARETTE BOY

Last seen location to location of car at Pittsburgh Airport = < 100 miles

1677531384777.png

Just a note on the Pgh Airport where Steven's car was found. Back in 1986 the airport was much smaller than the current airport. The old terminal doesn't even exist anymore.

Some history (with pics) at link:

From when it opened in the Summer of 1952 until its closing on September 30, 1992, the terminal would grow from a small regional airport to the main hub for USAir. The terminal would see numerous expansions and renovations over its 40 years of service. Expansions in 1959, 1972, and 1980 increased the capacity at the terminal; but by the 1980s, the main terminal was overcrowded, outdated, and becoming obsolete. With funding secured, the Allegheny County Airport Authority would begin construction on the new Landside Terminal in 1987. The new terminal would be located on the opposite end of the airport property in Findlay Township. The new modern terminal would open on October 1, 1992.

Steven's NamUs profile was modified on 2/22/24
He currently has 8 rule outs/exclusions

I find strange that his was seen at 2pm in Fairmont and later that day his car was found at Pittsburgh International Airport. Was he even reported missing when they found his car?

1708694842716.png

I find strange that his was seen at 2pm in Fairmont and later that day his car was found at Pittsburgh International Airport. Was he even reported missing when they found his car?
Yeah that is really strange—especially considering that the airport is almost 100 miles away from the college. Who would think to look for Steven that far away so soon after he left? Did he mention he was going to Pittsburgh? Did he have friends living near the airport, who happened to spot and recognize his car? Was his car illegally parked there and a cop gave him a ticket? I wish we had more context.

One thing I think we can say, though, is that if Steven left around 2:00 pm, then the earliest his car could've arrived at the airport was 3:30 pm, assuming a straight drive from the college in normal traffic. July 24, 1986 was a Thursday, so what did the afternoon rush hour look like in this area? Could that have lengthened the travel time? Did other drivers witness anything on their commute?

I wonder if they have DNA on him? This appears to be one of those cases where they pretty much know what happened, but they lack enough evidence to charge the suspects or suspect in court without a body.

Airports are definitely common places to leave the vehicles of murder victims, and this airport was perhaps observant to notice his vehicle so soon, but then it was a smaller airport.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back