Alcohol causing mouth cancer rise

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Growing alcohol use is causing a steep rise in mouth cancer cases, experts have warned just days before the planned extension of pub opening hours.

Mouth cancer now kills more people in the UK than cervical cancer and testicular cancer put together - some 1,600 people last year.

Yet more than 75% of cases are preventable by quitting smoking and drinking alcohol only in moderation.

Cancer Research UK is launching a three-year campaign to raise awareness.

Cases of mouth cancer have rise by a quarter over the past 10 years - from 3,411 cases in 1992 to 4,285 in 2001.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4438938.stm

Casshew said:
Growing alcohol use is causing a steep rise in mouth cancer cases, experts have warned just days before the planned extension of pub opening hours.

Mouth cancer now kills more people in the UK than cervical cancer and testicular cancer put together - some 1,600 people last year.

Yet more than 75% of cases are preventable by quitting smoking and drinking alcohol only in moderation.

Cancer Research UK is launching a three-year campaign to raise awareness.

Cases of mouth cancer have rise by a quarter over the past 10 years - from 3,411 cases in 1992 to 4,285 in 2001.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4438938.stm

Oh please tell me wine doesn't count! My grandfather actually ended up with cancer of the esophagus due to his high alcohol intake....which apparently was not a pretty end. But I'm sure it must not have been from wine consumption.... :hand

I don't like wine at all... I can't remember the last time I had any.. maybe a forced toast at a reception *blech*

Once in a blue moon I'll have a Margarita. (3 a year)

Other than that on a cold winters night I might have a wee dram of drambuie. I probably have 10 - 15 drinks a year, max

Casshew said:
I don't like wine at all... I can't remember the last time I had any.. maybe a forced toast at a reception *blech*

Once in a blue moon I'll have a Margarita. (3 a year)

Other than that on a cold winters night I might have a wee dram of drambuie. I probably have 10 - 15 drinks a year, max

What the heck is a wee dram of drambuie?????? Maybe that's what I should be having....LOL

drambuie.jpg

LOL a dram is a measurement of liquid... and wee is just small... so a wee dram.

Drambuie is a Scottish Liquor and my favorite :dance:

Sassygerl said:
I am right there with ya!!!!!

Well I'm in good company then! I figure they'll take any part of me for organ transplants except my poor grape-ridden liver!

Casshew said:
drambuie.jpg

LOL a dram is a measurement of liquid... and wee is just small... so a wee dram.

LOL!!!!! Then that is what I should be having, but I just don't know the word "wee" and obviously others don't either...:) I do have great eyes though if anyone were to ever need them...I'm told they're very pretty too...LOL

Oh baby! My hubby and I make wine and beer like it's our main course. ;) Exaggerating (a bit). We probably go through a bottle of wine a night which amounts to about 2 glasses per person I assume. Hummmmm something to read up on. This does concern me. Thnx Cass.

I'm with you Blue!
What did Ben Franklin say? "Beer is proof that God loves us
and WANTS us to be happy"

Hmm. Wonder why the United States doesn't have a similar study? Or maybe they do, it's just hiding somewhere.

The beer and alcohol lobby are pretty strong, as is tobacco.

They say a glass or two of wine is good for your heart - so I hope the study just means EXCESSIVE alcohol. Don't know.

My father in middle age did get a cancer on his tongue. It was removed by the ENT doctor who did tell him that alcohol can cause it. At that time he was probablly drinking at least 2 glasses of wine at night and an after dinner liquer. I think those are really strong.

It was very painful to have to removed and he doesn't drink much now, but still enjoys wine at a restaurant or special occasion.

Casshew said:
drambuie.jpg

I really don't care for Drambuie straight, but a friend put a couple of spoonfulls in my coffee once at her house and mmmmmmmm, it was fantastic that way.

And when I have scotch whisky, I must have only the best. So I get a single malt like Glenfiddich or Glenlevit (sp). Expensive but worth it.

cherylereed said:
I'm with you Blue!
What did Ben Franklin say? "Beer is proof that God loves us
and WANTS us to be happy"
;) :D and wasn't it Jesus in every second biblical passage that was drinking wine? :p

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back