GA - Baby Murder Mystery In Walker County

babydust2004

Reaction score
I heard this story on the news tonight.This is occurring a couple of miles from my house.I have only lived in this area for about a year.

Baby Murder Mystery In Walker County?

Reported by Amy Morrow

Could authorities in Walker County Georgia have a murder mystery on their hands or will the search for a baby's remains prove futile?

Detectives planned to search Monday for the remains of a baby that could have been buried in Walker County about 30 years ago.

Major Hill Morrison with the Walker Sheriff's Department says they could be searching for the remains of an infant or even an aborted baby.

David Colbert now owns the house near the focus of the investigation on Ridgeland Road.

Colbert says a detective woke him a couple of weeks ago to tell them they were planning a search for the property next door.

Colbert says, "The detective knocked on the door and said a baby was buried in a shoe box alive. I said alive? When? She said 32 years ago."

Major Morrison says if they do find remains, they're to press charges. They'll hold off the search until the rain subsides.

Reported by Amy Morrow

http://www.wrcbtv.com/news/news.cfm?DID=15703

Although the story says they are to press charges,another television station said that charges could not be pressed because the man that possibly buried this baby is deceased.I will update this story when I find out anything new

here is more on the story of why they decided to follow this.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Buried Baby? [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Shawanna Kendrick[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]November 15,2005[/font] [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Walker County Sheriff's Department has obtained a search warrant to look for remains of a baby born 30 years ago.
Major Hill Morrison with the Walker County Sheriff's Department tells NewsChannel 9 that a family member, who was under 18 at the time, just recently came forward with the information.
Major Morrison says the baby was likely a newborn, with the umbilical cord still attached, and making noise when the baby's grandfather is believed to have buried it on property along Ridgeland Road.
No charges can be filed in this case, because the grandfather is now deceased.
Major Morrison says if the infant's remains are found, he hopes the baby can be given a proper burial.
Depend on us to have more on this case as it progresses.
[/font]

http://www.newschannel9.com/engine.pl?station=wtvc&id=2667&template=breakout_story1.shtml&dateformat=%M+%e,%Y

babydust2004 said:
here is more on the story of why they decided to follow this.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Buried Baby? [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Shawanna Kendrick[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]November 15,2005[/font] [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Walker County Sheriff's Department has obtained a search warrant to look for remains of a baby born 30 years ago.
Major Hill Morrison with the Walker County Sheriff's Department tells NewsChannel 9 that a family member, who was under 18 at the time, just recently came forward with the information.
Major Morrison says the baby was likely a newborn, with the umbilical cord still attached, and making noise when the baby's grandfather is believed to have buried it on property along Ridgeland Road.
No charges can be filed in this case, because the grandfather is now deceased.
Major Morrison says if the infant's remains are found, he hopes the baby can be given a proper burial.
Depend on us to have more on this case as it progresses.
[/font]

http://www.newschannel9.com/engine.pl?station=wtvc&id=2667&template=breakout_story1.shtml&dateformat=%M+%e,%Y
How awful .:( I wonder if it was a baby born to a young girl from incest and the she has come forward now .30 years is a long time to keep a secret like this.Very Sad.

Sounds like Carl's account of the burial/death of his premature baby brother in SLINGBLADE.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Walker County Detectives Search For Baby Buried 35 Years Ago [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kim Fields[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]November 16,2005[/font] [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Walker County Sheriff's detectives along with G-B-I agents are searching for a newborn baby possibly buried there 35 years ago. A 47-year old woman led investigators to the site off Ridgeland Road in Rossville. The woman told detectives she remembers seeing her grandfather bury the baby somewhere along the property when she was 12. She says she does not know who the mother is, but says she was molested by her grandfather. He's now dead so no charges will be filed even if investigators find the body. But, Major Hill Morrison with the Walker County Sheriff's office says he hopes they find the remains to give the child a proper burial. "Our chances are slim and we know that, but if we don't, we'll feel like we won't have done our job unless we try." Major Morrison says detectives will start digging by hand Thursday morning. Depend on us to bring you more information when it becomes available[/font]

http://www.newschannel9.com/engine.pl?station=wtvc&id=2682&template=breakout_story1.shtml&dateformat=%M+%e,%Y

aussiegran-
yep, sure does. and i bet this type of thing is more common than we all think.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Search Called Off For Remains of Baby [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Anne Thompson[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]November 17,2005[/font] [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thursday authorities in Walker County, Georgia worked to lay a painful, 35 year-old memory to rest. It involved a young girl, and a baby who was never given a chance to live.
A week and a half a ago, a woman came to the Walker County Sheriff's Department and told police that from the ages of 5 to 12, her grandfather molested her. She also said at the age of 12 she remembers there being a newborn baby. On Wednesday, the woman, now 47 years old, covered her face as she led police to a hillside off Ridgeland Road, where she told them she saw her grandfather take the tiny baby, wrap it in a towel, put it in a shoebox, and bury it.
Major Hill Morrison says he doesn't know if the woman was that baby's mother.

Thursday, authorities went to work to find that baby's remains. Crews began clearing the site at 7 a.m.
Georgia Bureau of Investigation Medical Examiner Dr. Rick Snow said as the search began, "best case scenario, we could find fetal bones."
Walker County Major Hill Morrison said he believes the woman came forward after all this time for one reason. He told Newschannel 9, "I think her conscience bothered her to the point to where she felt like she needed to come out with it."
Dr. Snow said the biggest bone that crews could have hoped to find would have been the infant's femur, or thigh bone. He said in a newborn, that bone would only measure about an inch and a half, or two inches long.
Making the search even more difficult, crews were going on a memory decades old trying to fing the right spot to dig, and they were searching for something that has likely since decomposed in the acid of the soil.
After 5 hours of digging it was clear - there was no sign of an infant.
Major Morrison said he wished there could have been resolution in this case, "It pains me real bad because I hate to know if we missed it and it was somewhere else. But we felt like we needed to try, and we did."
Major Morrison also added, he hopes this effort will help lessen the weight on the woman's heart. "Once she came through and told us, and we tell her that we tried, I think it'll at least give her peace of mind."
Dr. Snow mentioned that if any new information is brought to authorities that may help them hone in on a better location, the excavation could one day resume, but, for now the search for the tiny baby is over.
[/font]

http://www.newschannel9.com/engine.pl?station=wtvc&id=2688&template=breakout_story1.shtml&dateformat=%M+%e,%Y
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/font]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie