GUILTY LA - Joyce Rader, 36, dead, man paralyzed, New Orleans, 14 Nov 2005

BillyGoatGruff

Reaction score
I found this interesting, since the male victim is a friend of a friend.
==================================================
NEW ORLEANS - Police said a woman was stabbed to death, prompting the first homicide investigation in the city since Hurricane Katrina.
Police said they found the woman dead inside the home of New Orleans poet Jon Newlin, 56. Newlin had been beaten, they said, and was in critical condition at a hospital.

http://www.comcast.net/news/national/index.jsp?cat=DOMESTIC&fn=/2005/11/16/265480.html

It'd be interesting - take the murder rate in NO, take how long it's been since the last one - did the hurricane save lives? OK, in reality, I'm sure they don't have that many murders (although I know they do have a high crime rate), but it'd be an ironic thing if the city had enough crime that a hurricane relatively speaking saved lives.

I am sorry for your friend. That's a horrible thing to have happen.

Well, we sure have had alot more crimes here (Houston) since the influx of evacuees. For example the other day they arrested a man (traffic violation of some kind) who presented identification showing he was a NO police officer. Come to find out he wasn't anymore and the truck he was driving was stolen from a NO car dealership. In another case a transvestite who also turned out to be an evacuee was murdered. An elderly woman who had helped 3 evacuees was murdered. The apartment complex my aunt lives in took in alot of evacuees because they happened to have alot of vacancies. They had to enact a curfew policy.

Just reading our local paper (Houston) and it's saying as many as 287 sex offenders relocated here after the hurricanes but they don't know where to find them yet.

Details said:
It'd be interesting - take the murder rate in NO, take how long it's been since the last one - did the hurricane save lives? OK, in reality, I'm sure they don't have that many murders (although I know they do have a high crime rate), but it'd be an ironic thing if the city had enough crime that a hurricane relatively speaking saved lives.

Relatively speaking.............the hurricane took lives. :doh:

Details said:

According to newspaper reports, he was beaten within an inch of his life--probably trying to come to the aid of his neighbor (the woman killed), or vice versa, since she was in his apartment (I think he lived in a duplex, if memory serves). He was mobile & talking when they took him to Ochsner, but he'd been attacked at least a day or two before. They're looking for a mutual friend of his and the woman's for questioning.

Thank goodness he survived! Sounds like they'll be able to catch the guy who did it. Was this robbery, or was it some domestic violence kind of thing?

Details said:
Thank goodness he survived! Sounds like they'll be able to catch the guy who did it. Was this robbery, or was it some domestic violence kind of thing?
Not sure. John's gay, so it could have been a domestic disturbance gone haywire or either end. But this is what the cops were kind of afraid of--there are people coming back to the city, but there's not much there for them, except working as day labor for FEMA (still, at $300 @ day...) or in some other support system for the restoration workers (food, mostly). So a lot of them are coming back and drinking/drugging to forget their trouble and/or give themselves something to do. That can lead to some ugly situations.

From August 2010:

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2010/08/man_gets_40_years_in_prison_fo.html

A Florida man was sentenced to 40 years in prison on Monday for the stabbing death of a woman and the severe beating of an acquaintance just two months after Hurricane Katrina roared through New Orleans in 2005.

Cleveland Moore, 43, was convicted of manslaughter in the Nov. 14, 2005, death of 36-year-old Joyce Rader and aggravated battery of Jon Newlin, 56, at Newlin's Marigny home...

Newlin testified last month that Moore, a former boyfriend, had a key to his Marigny Street shotgun double and often slept on the sofa. On the night of the attack, Moore brought Rader, whom Newlin said he did not know, to Newlin's house. Newlin testified that Moore broke a wine bottle over his head while Rader watched. He testified that was the last thing he could recall about the attack.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back