Teenager will work for food sign

Details

Former Member
Reaction score
051116girl-on-corner.jpg

Tasha Henderson got tired of her 14-year-old daughter's poor grades, her chronic lateness to class and her talking back to her teachers, so she decided to teach the girl a lesson.
She made Coretha stand at a busy Oklahoma City intersection Nov. 4 with a cardboard sign that read: "I don't do my homework and I act up in school, so my parents are preparing me for my future. Will work for food."
Donald Wertlieb, a professor of child development at the Eliot-Pearson Department of Child Development at Tufts University, warned that such punishment could do extreme emotional damage. He said rewarding positive behavior is more effective.
OK, is the mother right or is the child development expert right?

I'm with the mother on this one - that child development expert sounds like a loony who thinks you must coddle the child's self esteem with praise right or wrong

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/20051116-1516-girloncorner.html

I think if i was in this girls situation and my parents did this to me I would straighten my act up real quick! I think it would be effective.

I'm with the mom, as long as the girl wasn't left alone to become pervert prey. I'm all for that kind of harmless creative parenting. Let's the kid know you're not afraid to do whatever it takes to straighten you out.

Mom is right and honestly I am so freakin tired of this new trend to coddle kids ....

SO many are not being taught about life that way.. They are being raised to deal with adult life.
If you get mouth ywith your boss they are not going to stop and worry of your feelings... They are going to fire you..

:clap: Hoorayyyy for mom! I think was a very creative form of discipline.

ClapSmi.gif

Go, Mom, Go! She didn't endanger her child at all, and it wasn't even "tough love", but I bet someone out there will probably try to sue her or take her child away. I'd have cleaned my act up if I'd have been humiliated like that! I hope the daughter gets back to school and tries harder and I wish the Mom luck.

I am with the mother. She didn't ignore her child's problems.

I think the idea "Teenager will work for food" is so cute, I think I'll have a poster made for my teenager and give it for xmas.

Way to go Mom.

I am going to make my husband stand on the corner with a sign the says 'I don't put the seat down'

Casshew said:
Way to go Mom.

I am going to make my husband stand on the corner with a sign the says 'I don't put the seat down'
LMAOSuperSmi.gif

OMG, too funny, Cass!

I showed this to my almost 13 year old son who just got his report card and is in some trouble. It's wasn't earth shattering horrible, but not acceptable here!!!! Especially when I emailed a teacher and she said he just chooses not to do his work in class....time to get my can of whoopazz out!!!!! While I don't know that I'd make him wear a sign, although it's not out of question...LOL.....my best friend recently pre-arranged a set up at school and took the day off and showed up at school to go to class with her son for the day! I told my son we'd do the same and he was horrified...and better yet, he knows we would do it!!! Plus, my dh does a GREAT Mrs. Doubtfire...and he would certainly not be embarrassed to do it throughout the day in between classes! So, needless to say, the past few days I've seen more books come home that I have in weeks/months!

I give this Mom alot of credit for carrying through with it! I think it was an awesome idea! I get so sick of hearing that "reward good behavior" B.S. What are you supposed to do, reward the only B on a report card and ignore the other 6 D's?????? Kids' need to learn consequence!

lostfaith said:
I give this Mom alot of credit for carrying through with it! I think it was an awesome idea! I get so sick of hearing that "reward good behavior" B.S. What are you supposed to do, reward the only B on a report card and ignore the other 6 D's?????? Kids' need to learn consequence!

You're right about that. They do need to learn consequences.

Donald Wertlieb, a professor of child development at the Eliot-Pearson Department of Child Development at Tufts University, warned that such punishment could do extreme emotional damage. He said rewarding positive behavior is more effective.

I'd like to see what his kids are like.....IF HE HAS ANY :mad:

I heard on the news tonight that this girl is doing a lot better in school :D

I know a woman who took her two sons to sleep in a homeless shelter one night so they could see what it would be like if they didn't straighten up. And these two boys were a lot younger than this girl was.

I've also taken my son to a shelter, though we didn't stay the night. Don't know who it had a more profound affect on, me or him.

SewingDeb said:
You're right about that. They do need to learn consequences.
I reward good behavior with nothing but PRAISE if my child EARNED it! He EARNS whatever consequence he receives, even the negative ones! I make sure he knows he earned it too....I think it helps with taking responsibility for his actions!

I nominate this mom for "Mother of the Year"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Amraann said:
Mom is right and honestly I am so freakin tired of this new trend to coddle kids ....

SO many are not being taught about life that way.. They are being raised to deal with adult life.
If you get mouth ywith your boss they are not going to stop and worry of your feelings... They are going to fire you..

Maybe I should send this link to my SIL. She's ALWAYS worried about how things make my nephew "feel". :banghead:

Details said:
051116girl-on-corner.jpg

OK, is the mother right or is the child development expert right?

I'm with the mother on this one - that child development expert sounds like a loony who thinks you must coddle the child's self esteem with praise right or wrong

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/20051116-1516-girloncorner.html
I don't think either of them is right. I'm definitely not for codding kids, but I do think that the mother could have achieved the same results by having the girl spend the day working at a homeless shelter or a soup kitchen. That way, she could see first hand what it could be like for her if she doesn't straighten up and she'd be doing something positive at the same time.

Maral said:
I don't think either of them is right. I'm definitely not for codding kids, but I do think that the mother could have achieved the same results by having the girl spend the day working at a homeless shelter or a soup kitchen. That way, she could see first hand what it could be like for her if she doesn't straighten up and she'd be doing something positive at the same time.
I'm not much into public humiliation. This punishment is silly to me.
I think there are lots of ways to instill good work ethic, compassion and good values in your kids that doesn't have to include parading their shortcomings around town.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back