1047 users online (208 members and 839 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    In heels
    Posts
    27,885

    2 year old girl's ear reattached ~ Pitbull attack

    Virginia: November 17th

    A two-year-old girl's ear has been reattached after a dog bit it off in James City County Wednesday.

    Police report that the dog, a two-year-old pitbull, was attached to a chain in the girl's backyard on Madison Road in James Terrace Subdivision. The girl and her mother were in the back yard when the dog broke the chain and jumped on the child. The mother managed to escape the back yard with the child.

    http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=4128707&nav=23ii

    Mom saved the day, except she's an idiot to allow a pitbull in her back yard with a small child (IMO)




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,629
    Here we go again!!!! Thanks for the excuse Cass. I really wanted to post this letter to the editor that appeared in today's Rocky Mountain News regarding the boy who was attacked in the Denver Area while entering his own back yard.


    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...244538,00.html


    Calling all pit bull fans

    Calling all pit bull owners! Please go visit young Gregg Jones in the hospital where he is fighting for his life ("Pit bulls' victim loses arm," Nov. 10).

    While you are there, make sure you tell him and his family how great pit bulls are for pets and all of your reasons why they shouldn't be banned. Suzanne Urbalejo
    Westminster

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    In heels
    Posts
    27,885
    Hi Barn Goddess I also came across this editorial today from the Midland Daily News

    Itís apparent more and more communties are getting tough with pit bulls and their owners.

    In San Francisco, for instance, a law recently was passed that requires pit bulls to be spayed or neutered. Failing to do so could cost a dog owner as much as $1,000 in fines.
    This came in the aftermath of a 12-year-old boy getting mauled to death by his familyís pit bulls. Itís a topic that weíve seen too often in the news, but communities are taking action.

    In Denver, city officials have banned pit bulls in the city limits. In numerous other communities throughout the nation, pit bulls are either being banned or owners are required to muzzle them in public or carry a specific amount of insurance (one city requires $50,000) in case of a dog bite or mauling.

    Pit bulls have earned a reputation for being an aggressive and dangerous dog, particularly in the hands of an irresponsible owner.

    Locally, the Tri-City area has seen pit bulls attack on livestock, animals at a zoo in Saginaw and humans. A recent television report stated that mail carriers in Saginaw on occasion must fend off pit bulls while walking their routes.

    Any discussion about banning pit bulls or imposing breed-specific regulations is a topic of hot debate. People are passionate on both sides of the issue.

    We understand passion for animals. But we also see why communities are adopting new laws to ban or restrict them Ė their potential for great harm. Pit bulls do not simply bite. Their powerful jaws rip and tear at their victims. One person has compared it to a shark attack.

    City officials are ultimately responsible for enforcing laws to protect citizens, and if that means banning or imposing laws on a breed of dog that can cause great bodily harm, so be it.

    Sure, dog owners need to be held responsible. But, so do the dogs.

  4. #4
    Awwww, another poor, misunderstood pit bull....

    ...kid was probably asking for it...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    7,398
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm tired of hearing about these pitbull attacks (no offense Cass). Everytime I turn around there is another story out there. It's obvious to me these dogs are dangerous.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,906
    Most 2 year olds I have met should not have dogs! And children should NEVER be left alone with ANY dog at that age.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,715
    It's not just pit bulls, altho' they are more likely to attack or inflict multiple wounds.

    When a dog feels threatened or cornered by a little one at his eye level, he often will "nip" or bite. When my children were little, we knew 2 little girls who were bitten on the eyelid, one still droops a little. My own son was bitten by a dachsund at a friend's as he was just chasing it and it turned and bit him on the lip.

    Toddlers are especially vulnerable to dog and cat bites.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    In heels
    Posts
    27,885
    True enough Martha, little dogs can be nasty buggers.. but generally it is just that - a bite and the child is not mauled and torn to shreds like with a Pit or Chow.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Where else? Texas ! ! ! !
    Posts
    12,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ
    Most 2 year olds I have met should not have dogs! And children should NEVER be left alone with ANY dog at that age.

    Good Point Linda... AND neither should an adult who is feeble..
    /


    "Would some power the Giftee gie us To see ourselves as others see us" R.Burns

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,906
    Growing up the man next door had a beautiful German Shepard that would stay in his fenced backyard during the day. Everyday a 10 yr old boy would walk to & from school dragging a stick across the fence making that dog go nuts. That wasn't enough when the dog came to the fence he would poke her with that stick. EVERYONE warned him and his parents. One day, that dog got mad enough to jump the fence and bit the crap outta that kid. That dog lost her life defending herself. I loved that dog.

    Another family in the same neighborhood owned a Saint Bernard, sweet dog. I often went to their house to play with the girl that lived there and the dog.
    The girls brother would torment that dog and one day it mauled him so bad he lost an arm and the dog ripped open his stomach and he lost a lot of his intestines. That family moved so they could keep their dog!

    I can't tell you how many times at petting zoos, and other peoples homes where a child is being mean, torturing, yanking, pulling on an animal and the parents say nothing and do nothing! It's sickening! Once at the zoo my own ex-friend with her kid pissed me off so bad I haven't spoken to her since. Her son ( 2.5 yrs old) was throwing sand in the faces of the goats. I told her, she said what do you want me to do? GRRRRRRRRRRRR ( don't worry, i made him stop...that day at least)

    I've seen too many times to count people smacking the crap out of their pet because it growled after being tormented by their child. Do you think they ever bothered to teach their child how to behave around an animal?

    PEOPLE need to be responsible. Both with their children and their pets. But get real...that will NEVER happen!


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Minnesota-land of loons
    Posts
    3,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ
    Growing up the man next door had a beautiful German Shepard that would stay in his fenced backyard during the day. Everyday a 10 yr old boy would walk to & from school dragging a stick across the fence making that dog go nuts. That wasn't enough when the dog came to the fence he would poke her with that stick. EVERYONE warned him and his parents. One day, that dog got mad enough to jump the fence and bit the crap outta that kid. That dog lost her life defending herself. I loved that dog.

    Another family in the same neighborhood owned a Saint Bernard, sweet dog. I often went to their house to play with the girl that lived there and the dog.
    The girls brother would torment that dog and one day it mauled him so bad he lost an arm and the dog ripped open his stomach and he lost a lot of his intestines. That family moved so they could keep their dog!

    I can't tell you how many times at petting zoos, and other peoples homes where a child is being mean, torturing, yanking, pulling on an animal and the parents say nothing and do nothing! It's sickening! Once at the zoo my own ex-friend with her kid pissed me off so bad I haven't spoken to her since. Her son ( 2.5 yrs old) was throwing sand in the faces of the goats. I told her, she said what do you want me to do? GRRRRRRRRRRRR ( don't worry, i made him stop...that day at least)

    I've seen too many times to count people smacking the crap out of their pet because it growled after being tormented by their child. Do you think they ever bothered to teach their child how to behave around an animal?

    PEOPLE need to be responsible. Both with their children and their pets. But get real...that will NEVER happen!
    Dogs are animals! Animals can't be held to the standards we have for people. Even a well-trained dog will defend himself after sufficient provocation. The trouble is, once they start crossing the line and biting people, they will usually re-offend. And with pit bulls, well, the breed is inherently unpredictable and its attacks are deadly.

    Eve

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ
    Most 2 year olds I have met should not have dogs! And children should NEVER be left alone with ANY dog at that age.
    What do ya do then when you have family dogs and children living in the same house??? I don't have a pit by the way

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassygerl
    What do ya do then when you have family dogs and children living in the same house??? I don't have a pit by the way
    You protect your kids. I have a small dog that is not especially fond of children. I control my dog. He knows that the grandbaby can get away with whatever she wants and he had just better take it. I am not talking about tormenting the dog. But if she accidently steps on his paws he has to suck it up.
    I think one solution is insurance. If you don't have insurance you shouldn't be allowed to own a dog. I have heard about a pitbull that left a man maimed for life and the medical bills bankrupted him. Most of the pitbulls in my community are owned by drug users. They can't afford to get their teeth fixed, let alone properly care for a dog. This kind of law would take these dogs away from those who just breed them to fight.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Ella
    You protect your kids. I have a small dog that is not especially fond of children. I control my dog. He knows that the grandbaby can get away with whatever she wants and he had just better take it. I am not talking about tormenting the dog. But if she accidently steps on his paws he has to suck it up.
    I think one solution is insurance. If you don't have insurance you shouldn't be allowed to own a dog. I have heard about a pitbull that left a man maimed for life and the medical bills bankrupted him. Most of the pitbulls in my community are owned by drug users. They can't afford to get their teeth fixed, let alone properly care for a dog. This kind of law would take these dogs away from those who just breed them to fight.
    First of all of course I protect my children...actually my dogs do a really good job protecting them as well What I mean is that my dogs go upstairs with my kids all the time. Even when they were little they did. Call me stupid, but I do not worry about my dogs with my kids. I grew up with dogs all my life...it's so ridiculous to think dogs should be watched constantly when around children. When my boys were young they crawled up and over the dogs....I never worried then either....neither did any (most anyway) of our mothers. Keep in mind, once again, I do not have a breed that is know to maul.

    I need to get out of this thread...it's going right in the same direction the other thread that got locked was going...LOL

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,252
    Good Grief!

    It's not like humans give birth to dogs and therefore have (wah) 'no choice' but to love their sweet little pooch. People CHOOSE a breed of dog! There are plenty of other breeds to choose from. It really makes you wonder what kind of person goes looking for a dog and says "hmmm, this one has a history of ripping little children apart, I think I'll name him spot"


    Kids are worth it! They should always come first!


    Jubie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Australia - Axe attack: toddler's leg reattached
    By Casshew in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-21-2016, 05:18 PM
  2. 16-Year-Old Girl Dies Of Suspected Heart Attack
    By noZme in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-26-2014, 02:45 AM
  3. Bear Attack Kills 6 Year Old Girl in TN
    By Dark Knight in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-19-2006, 12:32 AM
  4. Yet another Pitbull attack
    By Casshew in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-15-2006, 06:27 AM