2 year old girl's ear reattached ~ Pitbull attack

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Virginia: November 17th

A two-year-old girl's ear has been reattached after a dog bit it off in James City County Wednesday.

Police report that the dog, a two-year-old pitbull, was attached to a chain in the girl's backyard on Madison Road in James Terrace Subdivision. The girl and her mother were in the back yard when the dog broke the chain and jumped on the child. The mother managed to escape the back yard with the child.

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=4128707&nav=23ii

Mom saved the day, except she's an idiot to allow a pitbull :doh: in her back yard with a small child (IMO)

Here we go again!!!! Thanks for the excuse Cass. I really wanted to post this letter to the editor that appeared in today's Rocky Mountain News regarding the boy who was attacked in the Denver Area while entering his own back yard.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/letters/article/0,2777,DRMN_23966_4244538,00.html

Calling all pit bull fans

Calling all pit bull owners! Please go visit young Gregg Jones in the hospital where he is fighting for his life ("Pit bulls' victim loses arm," Nov. 10).

While you are there, make sure you tell him and his family how great pit bulls are for pets and all of your reasons why they shouldn't be banned. Suzanne Urbalejo
Westminster

Hi Barn Goddess :) I also came across this editorial today from the Midland Daily News

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]It’s apparent more and more communties are getting tough with pit bulls and their owners.

In San Francisco, for instance, a law recently was passed that requires pit bulls to be spayed or neutered. Failing to do so could cost a dog owner as much as $1,000 in fines.
This came in the aftermath of a 12-year-old boy getting mauled to death by his family’s pit bulls. It’s a topic that we’ve seen too often in the news, but communities are taking action.

In Denver, city officials have banned pit bulls in the city limits. In numerous other communities throughout the nation, pit bulls are either being banned or owners are required to muzzle them in public or carry a specific amount of insurance (one city requires $50,000) in case of a dog bite or mauling.

Pit bulls have earned a reputation for being an aggressive and dangerous dog, particularly in the hands of an irresponsible owner.

Locally, the Tri-City area has seen pit bulls attack on livestock, animals at a zoo in Saginaw and humans. A recent television report stated that mail carriers in Saginaw on occasion must fend off pit bulls while walking their routes.

Any discussion about banning pit bulls or imposing breed-specific regulations is a topic of hot debate. People are passionate on both sides of the issue.

We understand passion for animals. But we also see why communities are adopting new laws to ban or restrict them – their potential for great harm. Pit bulls do not simply bite. Their powerful jaws rip and tear at their victims. One person has compared it to a shark attack.

City officials are ultimately responsible for enforcing laws to protect citizens, and if that means banning or imposing laws on a breed of dog that can cause great bodily harm, so be it.

Sure, dog owners need to be held responsible. But, so do the dogs.:clap:
[/font]

Awwww, another poor, misunderstood pit bull....

...kid was probably asking for it...:rolleyes:

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm tired of hearing about these pitbull attacks (no offense Cass). Everytime I turn around there is another story out there. It's obvious to me these dogs are dangerous.

Most 2 year olds I have met should not have dogs! And children should NEVER be left alone with ANY dog at that age.

It's not just pit bulls, altho' they are more likely to attack or inflict multiple wounds.

When a dog feels threatened or cornered by a little one at his eye level, he often will "nip" or bite. When my children were little, we knew 2 little girls who were bitten on the eyelid, one still droops a little. My own son was bitten by a dachsund at a friend's as he was just chasing it and it turned and bit him on the lip.

Toddlers are especially vulnerable to dog and cat bites.

True enough Martha, little dogs can be nasty buggers.. but generally it is just that - a bite and the child is not mauled and torn to shreds like with a Pit or Chow.

Linda7NJ said:
Most 2 year olds I have met should not have dogs! And children should NEVER be left alone with ANY dog at that age.

Good Point Linda... AND neither should an adult who is feeble..

Growing up the man next door had a beautiful German Shepard that would stay in his fenced backyard during the day. Everyday a 10 yr old boy would walk to & from school dragging a stick across the fence making that dog go nuts. That wasn't enough when the dog came to the fence he would poke her with that stick. EVERYONE warned him and his parents. One day, that dog got mad enough to jump the fence and bit the crap outta that kid. That dog lost her life defending herself. I loved that dog.

Another family in the same neighborhood owned a Saint Bernard, sweet dog. I often went to their house to play with the girl that lived there and the dog.
The girls brother would torment that dog and one day it mauled him so bad he lost an arm and the dog ripped open his stomach and he lost a lot of his intestines. That family moved so they could keep their dog!

I can't tell you how many times at petting zoos, and other peoples homes where a child is being mean, torturing, yanking, pulling on an animal and the parents say nothing and do nothing! It's sickening! Once at the zoo my own ex-friend with her kid pissed me off so bad I haven't spoken to her since. Her son ( 2.5 yrs old) was throwing sand in the faces of the goats. I told her, she said what do you want me to do? GRRRRRRRRRRRR ( don't worry, i made him stop...that day at least)

I've seen too many times to count people smacking the crap out of their pet because it growled after being tormented by their child. Do you think they ever bothered to teach their child how to behave around an animal?

PEOPLE need to be responsible. Both with their children and their pets. But get real...that will NEVER happen!

Linda7NJ said:
Growing up the man next door had a beautiful German Shepard that would stay in his fenced backyard during the day. Everyday a 10 yr old boy would walk to & from school dragging a stick across the fence making that dog go nuts. That wasn't enough when the dog came to the fence he would poke her with that stick. EVERYONE warned him and his parents. One day, that dog got mad enough to jump the fence and bit the crap outta that kid. That dog lost her life defending herself. I loved that dog.

Another family in the same neighborhood owned a Saint Bernard, sweet dog. I often went to their house to play with the girl that lived there and the dog.
The girls brother would torment that dog and one day it mauled him so bad he lost an arm and the dog ripped open his stomach and he lost a lot of his intestines. That family moved so they could keep their dog!

I can't tell you how many times at petting zoos, and other peoples homes where a child is being mean, torturing, yanking, pulling on an animal and the parents say nothing and do nothing! It's sickening! Once at the zoo my own ex-friend with her kid pissed me off so bad I haven't spoken to her since. Her son ( 2.5 yrs old) was throwing sand in the faces of the goats. I told her, she said what do you want me to do? GRRRRRRRRRRRR ( don't worry, i made him stop...that day at least)

I've seen too many times to count people smacking the crap out of their pet because it growled after being tormented by their child. Do you think they ever bothered to teach their child how to behave around an animal?

PEOPLE need to be responsible. Both with their children and their pets. But get real...that will NEVER happen!

Dogs are animals! Animals can't be held to the standards we have for people. Even a well-trained dog will defend himself after sufficient provocation. The trouble is, once they start crossing the line and biting people, they will usually re-offend. And with pit bulls, well, the breed is inherently unpredictable and its attacks are deadly.

Eve

Linda7NJ said:

What do ya do then when you have family dogs and children living in the same house??? :confused: I don't have a pit by the way :)

Sassygerl said:
What do ya do then when you have family dogs and children living in the same house??? :confused: I don't have a pit by the way :)
You protect your kids. I have a small dog that is not especially fond of children. I control my dog. He knows that the grandbaby can get away with whatever she wants and he had just better take it. I am not talking about tormenting the dog. But if she accidently steps on his paws he has to suck it up.
I think one solution is insurance. If you don't have insurance you shouldn't be allowed to own a dog. I have heard about a pitbull that left a man maimed for life and the medical bills bankrupted him. Most of the pitbulls in my community are owned by drug users. They can't afford to get their teeth fixed, let alone properly care for a dog. This kind of law would take these dogs away from those who just breed them to fight.

Ella said:
You protect your kids. I have a small dog that is not especially fond of children. I control my dog. He knows that the grandbaby can get away with whatever she wants and he had just better take it. I am not talking about tormenting the dog. But if she accidently steps on his paws he has to suck it up.
I think one solution is insurance. If you don't have insurance you shouldn't be allowed to own a dog. I have heard about a pitbull that left a man maimed for life and the medical bills bankrupted him. Most of the pitbulls in my community are owned by drug users. They can't afford to get their teeth fixed, let alone properly care for a dog. This kind of law would take these dogs away from those who just breed them to fight.

First of all of course I protect my children...actually my dogs do a really good job protecting them as well :) What I mean is that my dogs go upstairs with my kids all the time. Even when they were little they did. Call me stupid, but I do not worry about my dogs with my kids. I grew up with dogs all my life...it's so ridiculous to think dogs should be watched constantly when around children. When my boys were young they crawled up and over the dogs....I never worried then either....neither did any (most anyway) of our mothers. Keep in mind, once again, I do not have a breed that is know to maul.

I need to get out of this thread...it's going right in the same direction the other thread that got locked was going...LOL ;)

Good Grief!

It's not like humans give birth to dogs and therefore have (wah) 'no choice' but to love their sweet little pooch. People CHOOSE a breed of dog! There are plenty of other breeds to choose from. It really makes you wonder what kind of person goes looking for a dog and says "hmmm, this one has a history of ripping little children apart, I think I'll name him spot" :doh:

Kids are worth it! They should always come first!

Jubie

jubie said:
Good Grief!

It's not like humans give birth to dogs and therefore have (wah) 'no choice' but to love their sweet little pooch. People CHOOSE a breed of dog! There are plenty of other breeds to choose from. It really makes you wonder what kind of person goes looking for a dog and says "hmmm, this one has a history of ripping little children apart, I think I'll name him spot" :doh:

Kids are worth it! They should always come first!

Jubie

I agree with that for sure. One of my son's first grade class mates wanted a dog so bad that they bought her a pit puppy. I for the life of me can't understand this choice!!!!! Just stupid IMO.

It's good for kids to grow up around animals - teaches them a lot about compassion and such. Also is a very good way to spot those potential problems in a child - tormenting animals is the first step on a very dark path. But the parents need to teach them how to respect the animal and not harm it, understand what the animal is saying when it bares it's teeth or wags it's tail.

My experience is only with my cats, where my sister (living with me at the time) taught her 0 to 3 year old daughter how to properly pet a cat. She also was hoping the cats would scratch her a little when she was (non-maliciously) too rough with them - that took some work because I've got some very easy going cats. But the time she did push one too far and got scratched, she got no sympathy from mommy.

Dogs are different - you don't want a minor dog bite. But you have to teach the child to respect the dog even more.

Sassygerl said:
I agree with that for sure. One of my son's first grade class mates wanted a dog so bad that they bought her a pit puppy. I for the life of me can't understand this choice!!!!! Just stupid IMO.
I think there's got to be something behind that. The nice reason is that one of the parents had a pit bull growing up and loved it. The not so nice reason is that they want a scary dog for their own self image, or for their image of their son as a tough, macho guy.

Details said:
I think there's got to be something behind that. The nice reason is that one of the parents had a pit bull growing up and loved it. The not so nice reason is that they want a scary dog for their own self image, or for their image of their son as a tough, macho guy.

Hi Details, and therein lies the rub: responsible parents don't just go by their own experiences or their own selfish desires, they learn from history and public education. Just because I walked two blocks home from school when I was seven years old does not mean I let my little girl do so now. Common sense says if theres far more risk with 'this' verses 'that' then go with what doesn't subject our society with great injury or death.

It's a choice.

Jubie

Sassygerl said:
Pitbulls are a status symbol for crack heads. Parents are probably on meth.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back