Results 1 to 2 of 2
11-17-2005, 05:34 PM #1
CT - Sean Burke asks for reduced sentence in murder that sparked hate crime law
Defendant in infamous hate-crime case asks for reduced sentence
Published November 17 2005
MANCHESTER, Conn. -- A man convicted of the deadly beating that prompted Connecticut's hate-crimes law sobbed Thursday as he asked for forgiveness from his victim's family.
Sean Burke, 35, was in Manchester Superior Court to ask Judge Raymond Norko to reduce his 40-year sentence for killing Richard Reihl, a gay man, in 1988.
"I beg for your forgiveness," Burke said Thursday. "I don't care about the time. I just beg for your forgiveness. My soul, your honor, is empty, and I want to use my life for the reparation of Richard's life."
Burke was described as a man who has sought redemption since the day he was sentenced to prison, literally becoming an alter boy and counseling children and others.
But Reihl's family asked the judge not to reconsider Burke's sentence, saying it would send an inconceivable message about the tolerance for hate crimes.
Burke and a friend, Marcos Perez, were convicted in 1989, when they were teenagers. Perez, who is serving a 35-year sentence, had his request for a reduction hearing denied.
Prosecutors said Reihl met the two at a gay bar and invited them to his Wethersfield home. They bound his mouth with duct tape and beat him to death with a fireplace log.
Former state lawmaker Miles Rapoport, who co-sponsored hate-crimes legislation that took effect in 1990, said Thursday that Reihl's death was the catalyst.
"This murder struck huge fear into the gay community in Hartford," he said. "Seventeen years ago, there was a great deal less acceptance of homosexuality and tolerance was not necessarily presumed. People were frightened, people were deeply concerned, and they wanted legislative action."
Norko did not say when would rule on Burke's request.
Gay rights activists said they oppose any reduction in Burke's sentence.
05-23-2015, 07:20 AM #2
From November 1989:
A high school football star was sentenced today to 40 years in prison for his part in the beating death of a gay man from Wethersfield.
The student, Sean G. Burke, 19 years old, sobbed as Judge Raymond R. Norko imposed the sentence. Mr. Burke had pleaded guilty to murder and other charges stemming from the death of Richard F. Reihl, 33, who was beaten with a fireplace log in his condominium on May 15, 1988...
Mr. Burke was also charged with a an assault on May 14, 1988, when he met a gay man near the same bar, went home with him and robbed him.
A Supreme Court judge has axed five years off the 40-year sentence of Sean Burke, who was convicted of beating a gay man to death with a fireplace log in 1998.
Judge Raymond Norko modified Burke’s sentence for good behaviour, despite opposition from family members of the victims. Burke, who had been scheduled to be released in 2017, is now up for release in 2012.
By Reader in forum Crimes in the NewsReplies: 0Last Post: 10-26-2012, 08:33 PM
By UdbCrzy2 in forum Past Trial Discussion ThreadsReplies: 0Last Post: 03-24-2011, 02:45 PM
By southcitymom in forum Up to the MinuteReplies: 26Last Post: 10-24-2009, 03:08 PM
By bugaboo in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat NewsReplies: 0Last Post: 11-16-2005, 04:42 PM
By mysteriew in forum Crimes in the NewsReplies: 5Last Post: 10-06-2005, 11:56 PM