CA - Massive fire at Oakland warehouse party, 36 dead, 2 Dec 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CARIIS

Former Member
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]The blaze is already being called one of the deadliest single-structure fires in Oakland’s history, if not the deadliest.

[/FONT]Video:

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2016/12...ire-at-live-work-space-in-fruitvale-district/

no evidence that smoke detectors were activated during the fire - East Bay Times

unclear if those people are missing, dead or have walked away from scene - NBC News

Oakland CA - Massive 3 alarm -fire at work space party -Sheriff says up to

ontinue to battle 3-alarm warehouse fire - @OaklandFireLive

[FONT=&amp] electronic music party in a Fruitvale district live-work space, Oakland fire officials said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The blaze tore through the two-story building in the 1300 block of 31st Avenue at about 11:30 p.m. Friday during an event featuring musician Golden Donna’s 100% Silk West Coast tour.

Most of the nine dead were found on the second floor,

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]no sprinkler system in the structure, the chief said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“We still have to do a more thorough search of the building and we don’t know the potential number of other victims,”

party-goers were on social media early Saturday looking for confirmation their loved ones are safe

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The building houses some 50 people and is an artists collective. One, a photographer and artist, said a friend hurt himself and asked for help getting out. Bob Mule said he tried, but couldn’t do it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“It was too hot, too much smoke, I had to get out of there,”

I literally felt my skin peeling and my lungs being suffocated by smoke. I couldn’t get the fire extinguisher to work.”

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] he could see someone calling for help from second floor window, and tried to get a ladder, ” but they jumped out the window.:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The blaze brought 55 firefighters to the scene

Firefighters aggressively attacked the blaze inside the structure when conditions changed and they had to go back outside.

Arson investigators will be called to the scene

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2016/12...ire-at-live-work-space-in-fruitvale-district/

[/FONT]Oakland CA - Massive 3 alarm -fire 9 dead-Sheriff says up to
[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

One-alarm, two-alarm, three-alarm fires, are categories of fires indicating the level of response by local authorities, with an elevated number of alarms indicating an increased number of phone alarms went off during the fire. The term multiple-alarm is a quick way of indicating that a fire is severe and is difficult to contain. This system of classification is common in the USA and in Canada[SUP][1][/SUP] among both fire departments and news agencies.

3rd Alarm Assignment:
  • 4 Engine Companies
  • 2 Ladder Companies
  • 3 Battalion Chiefs (1 operating as the Staging Chief and 1 operating as the Air Recon. Chief working from an NYPD Aviation Unit helicopter)
  • 2 Deputy Chiefs
  • 1 Mask Service Unit (M.S.U.) (Special Unit)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple-alarm_fire

First time I have heard on air (did not like it sounds predatory IMO) if you were there we want to put you on air call bla bla

50 inside missing upped to 25 so doing the math ................they are hoping some people fled etc

started 1130 there their time -- person inside said it spread really fast .

Sheriff anticpating 40 death

5 hours to get the flames out still smounding live background

stariway was actually pallets. Just hit me what that implies - a bunch of people stampeding - likely the pallets fell over, so truly trapped.

Interesting, all the stations doing "live" keep their commericials coming.... and it seems like there are a heck of a lot of them--there going out A LOT.

. I suppose if competion does it you can to............

Latest Chief: Basically the roof collapsed so they really have not got in there, she acknowledged the pallet stairway. Looking bad

Appears as if per news things slowing down in terms of ferocity of efforts to get in in rescue "mode"

Rave on SECOND floor

all local news

biggest fire event since the earthquake

interior described as a maze

asking for piercing/tattoos information

asking people to call the corner if there missing someone - thats pretty foreboding IMO

never heard of that way of trying to locate people

It almost seems crass - like at this point have a number set up that is not at that office

there really is not anything good about calling a cornier --he just arrived were about 7 hours in

kind of "dooming" mo

Sheriff anticpating 40 death

5 hours to get the flames out still smounding live background

stariway was actually pallets.
SABBM Snipped for brevity

DM mentioned "...makeshift stairwells..." I was wondering.. what the heck ? As in, LADDERS ? Almost seems like pallets are just as dangerous. Who thought that was a good idea ?

Some clubs and raves sound more like death traps for the unwary. So sad ! Awful to see the photos of the missing... just ordinary people going about their lives. :(
It's impossible to ban raves and clubs-- but for god's sake at least make sure the patrons will be safe in case of an emergency !!!

This tragedy reminds me of the fire during the Great White concert in Rhode Island. I don't live in that state... but since reading about it I've become more aware of crowds and where the exits are located.

RIP to the deceased.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...9-dead-dozens-missing/?utm_term=.e3089b81871d

California officials fear up to 40 people have been killed in a massive fire that happened Friday night during a concert inside a building in Oakland.

Nine people have been confirmed dead and 25 others remain missing. Sgt. Ray Kelly, spokesman for the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office, told reporters during a press conference Saturday that officials are “prepared to deal with up to 30 to 40 deceased people.”

It is so tragic.

I know what those warehouse collective lofts are like. We have a lot of them in downtown LA. My daughter and her bf were thinking of renting one a few years ago. I went with them to see it. The downstairs common area was great. Very large, open, huge windows high and long , with lots of light.

However, the upstairs 'cubicles' for sleeping were like haphazard mazes. Everyone just carved out little sleeping, sitting nooks, with particle board and rugs and it was very cramped. A fire would have made it a tragic nightmare. There was only one 'exit' to the downstairs through a metal stairway. If the fire was near that stairway, everyone would have been trapped. :eek:

I wonder if something like that happened?

Curious if it might have been arson ? Some sick people out there.
:moo:

Curious if it might have been arson ? Some sick people out there.
:moo:

UGH. I hope not. But you never know these days.

I was thinking it might have been a faulty electric heater. It has been unusually cold the past few nights. Those large warehouses are very cold and drafty. And i doubt they had any kind of central heating. Someone may have had a small electrical heater plugged in upstairs?

"The artists’ studios were separated by makeshift partitions, and the second floor — where most of the bodies were spotted — was especially difficult to navigate, Deloach Reed said.

“There wasn’t a real clear entry or exit path up on the second floor,” she said. “The way the building was situated, it really made it difficult for people to escape.”

There was just a single stairwell for the entire warehouse: a "makeshift" staircase made out of pallets, Deloach Reed said."

Oh no, that's what I was afraid of. Thats how the one in LA was too. Only one exit from the upstairs in case of emergency.

And I bet there were a lot of flammable substances in the artists belongings. A perfect storm created the ultimate nightmare.

So sad. Prayers for all the victims of the fire.

Ever since some past fires like this I too have been much more aware of where the exits are whenever I enter any sort of function.

There was a comedy club I went to about two years ago and it scared the heck out of me the way it was setup. It was a deathtrap with only two exits all in same spot and it took a very long time for people to even get into the venue. If there was a rush to those exits it would have been tragic.

I never felt comfortable until I was out of that place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong