Identified! TN - Pleasant View, I-24 b/w MM 29 & 30, WhtFem 31-40, UP1578, palm tree hat, clothes, Mar'85 - Michelle Lavone Inman

Romulus

Ivan
Reaction score
911UFTN - Unidentified Female

911UFTN.jpg
911UFTN1.jpg
911UFTN2.jpg

Victim's hat and clothing.

Date of Discovery: March 31, 1985
Location of Discovery: Pleasant View, Cheatham County, Tennessee
Estimated Date of Death: 2-5 months prior
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description

Estimated Age: 31-40 years old
Race: White
Height: 5'0" t0 o 5'2"
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Red
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers

Dentals: Available. # 21 crowded to facial, mandibular anteriors crowded-overlapped.
Fingerprints: Not available
DNA: Sample available - not yet submitted

Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Light pink shirt with pink flowers, pink sweater with small blue spots, pants, black bra.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Hat with a palm tree design.

Circumstances of Discovery

The victim was located beside westbound I-24 in Cheatham County between mile markers 29 and 30.
It is speculated she may have been the victim of an unidentified serial killer who prayed on red-headed females during the years of 1978 and 1992 in the United States.
Investigating Agency(s)

Agency Name: University of Tennessee
Agency Contact Person: Lee Jantz
Agency Phone Number: 865-974-4408
Agency E-Mail: ljantz@utk.edu
Agency Case Number: UT85-7F

NCIC Case Number: U151861023
NamUs Case Number: 1578
Former Hot Case Number: 1279

Information Source(s)

Doe link
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/911uftn.html

NamUs
Wikipedia

New information is discovered in decades-old 'Redhead Murder' case

New information has been collected in a decades-old murder case. A woman with red hair was found on the side of I-24 in Cheatham County in 1985.

New information was put into a national database recently after a story aired on News 2.

After News 2 aired the story about Tina Farmer, new information was entered in the NAMUS case file of the redhead murder victim in Cheatham County.

"With this new information we can proactively be searching instead of waiting for someone to come to us," said NAMUS's Director of Communications, Todd Matthews. "The ultimate goal for the body in Cheatham County is to identify her and get her back to her family. Law enforcement will have an opportunity to maybe find who did it and hopefully, someone will pay for that."

NAMUS Ruleouts as of 10/20/18

MP6796
Angela Westberry
12/01/1984
Duval FL

MP7397
Nancy Medina
08/04/1984
Oklahoma OK

MP240
Clara Grunst
10/09/1984
Newton MO

MP7120
Wanda Kores
01/29/1985
King WA

MP5695
Karen Wilson
03/27/1985
Albany NY

MP24176
Wanda Sanders
02/11/1985
Clark Nv

Ruth Ann Fields

Melanie Flynn

Cheryl Anne Scherer

Pamala Hudgins

Missing
Last seen alive: February 08, 1983 at 19:17

Circumstances: Debra Murr lived at 2519 Ketharn Street, Nashville. According to her husband, she left her home on February 8, 1983, to see her stepson at the hospital, and never returned home.

First Name: Debra A.
Middle Name: A.
Last Name: Murr
Details
Age When Last Known Alive: 26
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 67.0
Weight: 120.0
State: Tennessee
County: Davidson
Appearance
Hair: Blond/Strawberry
Eye: Blue
Clothing and Accessories
Transportation

NAT_15_1.jpg

If only they had more info on the hospital itself.. not much media attention or information release on this case at all. Could possibly be related if the husband is in the clear.

Debby Lynn Oberg?

The Doe Network: Case File 1428DFNV

5'2"
Strawberry Blonde
Missing 09/10/1984 and UID est. death could on the earlier side be around Oct. 1984.

Was last seen packing a Uhaul to travel with a man and child. Perhaps they were traveling south?

DLOberg.jpg

Is anyone able to make out what the illustration is on her hat? Is it a tree at sunset? Birds & a tree? I'd love to be able to decipher what it is and maybe that would help narrow down where the hat originated from.

However, I'm not positive her hat says Florida. I went to NamUs and zoomed in. First, the writing looks to be blue and second it looks like there's a large dip in one of the letters like there would be if it was a "Mississippi" hat.

See below:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 1.34.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 1.34.34 AM.png
    465.7 KB · Views: 32
OMG! You rock! I was so lost on this! That could totally be Mississippi if they made that hat there. Exciting!

I was so surprised and so excited when I saw it on eBay! The vendor replied to me and also thinks it is probably a Mississippi hat. He explained he is a hat collector and sells thousands of hats. He told me these were usually mass-produced for a couple of different states, AND THENNNNNN he also told me the brand is "Universal Headwear".

He went to a group of hat collectors and someone was able to identify the brand. This eBay seller is the best ever. He said my message was the most interesting message he had ever received about an item haha.

He also told me he purchased his Florida hat near Volusia County, FL "somewhere around the Ormond Beach area or possibly Palm Coast area" back between 2013-2017 at an estate sale but again, neither of us thinks it's a FL hat and these were obviously mass-produced.

So now, to try to figure out how many versions of this hat this brand made and perhaps even sales reports (if they still exist) of what towns they could have been sold in. It might lead to nowhere, but it's more than we've had!

What about this person?

Patricia Alma Corbett – The Charley Project

Patricia was 28 when she vanished in March 1982 from Florida, which would have made her 31 in January 1985 (the last possible month the Jane Doe would have been alive). I couldn't find any evidence that she had overcrowded teeth. However, I did find that she had broken her teeth before she disappeared.

What about this person?

Patricia Alma Corbett – The Charley Project

Patricia was 28 when she vanished in March 1982 from Florida, which would have made her 31 in January 1985 (the last possible month the Jane Doe would have been alive). I couldn't find any evidence that she had overcrowded teeth. However, I did find that she had broken her teeth before she disappeared.

Is she a little too tall at 5'5-5'7? UID is 5'0-5'2. This one is extra challenging because theres no pictures or reconstruction!

Is she a little too tall at 5'5-5'7? UID is 5'0-5'2. This one is extra challenging because theres no pictures or reconstruction!

I always take decomposition into account.

I also considered these three. The age is off on some of them, but the age has been off on some Does before.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Carla Roberson – The Charley Project

Linda Kay Carroll – The Charley Project (Namus had height at between 5'2 and 5'6)

Charlotte Heimann – The Charley Project

Ok Universal Industries had their production center in New Bedford, MA and produced for the entire country. They opened in 1981 and appear to have closed by 1988. They rebranded their hats in April 1, 1985 to say "We Cover the World."

I also had a friend tell me the swoop at the bottom looked like a whale to him. Any thoughts?

I always take decomposition into account.

I also considered these three. The age is off on some of them, but the age has been off on some Does before.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Carla Roberson – The Charley Project

Linda Kay Carroll – The Charley Project (Namus had height at between 5'2 and 5'6)

Charlotte Heimann – The Charley Project

Heimann is the only one of these women that would potentially fit the Redhead Murderers M.O. His victims are largely transient or without strong family bonds, which is why his victims have been so hard to identify.

I think our Jane Doe caught a ride from the Gulf Shore area up to Nashville, Knoxville or Chattanooga and was picked up at a truck stop in one of those areas by the murderer. They were headed west to Memphis when her body was dumped. She may or may not have had any intention to head west, but it is possible she was trying to catch a ride "home" to Missouri or Arkansas just as Espy Regina Black-Pilgrim was trying to catch a ride from a KY truck stop back to NC. Espy was also murdered and dumped not a long distance from where she was picked up, suggesting the murderer may not wait to cross state lines to dump a body.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back