Thread: MO - Eddie Gibbons, St. Louis, late 60's

MO - Eddie Gibbons, St. Louis, late 60's

I remember when I was a child, a boy disappeared on his way home from school in St. Louis. I think his name was Eddie Gibbons. He lived not far from me. I remember everyone searching for him for days. Some time later, his body was found outside St. Louis.

I think he disappeared in the mid to late 60s, maybe as late as the early 70s.

I seem to remember hearing that Otis Toole claimed responsibility, but that there was no proof that this was true.

I would really like to find more information out about this as it had such an impact on me as a child. I have done a google search and nothing. Any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by felder
    I remember when I was a child, a boy disappeared on his way home from school in St. Louis. I think his name was Eddie Gibbons. He lived not far from me. I remember everyone searching for him for days. Some time later, his body was found outside St. Louis.

I think he disappeared in the mid to late 60s, maybe as late as the early 70s.

I seem to remember hearing that Otis Toole claimed responsibility, but that there was no proof that this was true.

I would really like to find more information out about this as it had such an impact on me as a child. I have done a google search and nothing. Any other ideas?
    Although a simple quick websearch failed to connect the name eddie to otis toole I did find a few links about toole and his oft times partner.

Here're two of the links.
    http://www.carpenoctem.tv/killers/toole.html

http://www.carpenoctem.tv/killers/lucas.html

Eddie Gibbons

I remember the Eddie Gibbons case since I grew up in the neighborhood where he disappeared. I found this post when I was searching for information about it.

Although I don't believe his killer was prosecuted, there was a story in the St. Louis Post Dispatch (1979 or 1980) about a man who was convicted in California for a similar crime. The story linked him to the Eddie Gibbons case.

I can't find any other information and I don't have time to look up the old story. But I believe Theodore Frank was the subject of that newspaper article. The article in the LA Times (see below) refers to a case in Missouri that authorities did not pursue when Frank was convicted of another child murder.

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-01-..._death-penalty

I know this is an old post. If you read this and have more information, please share.