CA - Massive fire at Oakland warehouse party, 36 dead, 2 Dec 2016 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CARIIS

Former Member
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]The blaze is already being called one of the deadliest single-structure fires in Oaklands history, if not the deadliest.

[/FONT]Video:

Officials confirm 24 dead, search continues for more victims in Oakland warehouse fire

no evidence that smoke detectors were activated during the fire - East Bay Times

unclear if those people are missing, dead or have walked away from scene - NBC News

Oakland CA - Massive 3 alarm -fire at work space party -Sheriff says up to

ontinue to battle 3-alarm warehouse fire - @OaklandFireLive

[FONT=&amp] electronic music party in a Fruitvale district live-work space, Oakland fire officials said.
The blaze tore through the two-story building in the 1300 block of 31st Avenue at about 11:30 p.m. Friday during an event featuring musician Golden Donnas 100% Silk West Coast tour.

Most of the nine dead were found on the second floor,

no sprinkler system in the structure, the chief said.
We still have to do a more thorough search of the building and we dont know the potential number of other victims,

party-goers were on social media early Saturday looking for confirmation their loved ones are safe

The building houses some 50 people and is an artists collective. One, a photographer and artist, said a friend hurt himself and asked for help getting out. Bob Mule said he tried, but couldnt do it.
It was too hot, too much smoke, I had to get out of there,

I literally felt my skin peeling and my lungs being suffocated by smoke. I couldnt get the fire extinguisher to work.

he could see someone calling for help from second floor window, and tried to get a ladder, but they jumped out the window.:
The blaze brought 55 firefighters to the scene

Firefighters aggressively attacked the blaze inside the structure when conditions changed and they had to go back outside.

Arson investigators will be called to the scene

Officials confirm 24 dead, search continues for more victims in Oakland warehouse fire

[/FONT]Oakland CA - Massive 3 alarm -fire 9 dead-Sheriff says up to
[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
Here us the letter from gitana1. She is with her brother while they wait for word from the officials about her sister-in-law.

The news has been reporting my brother's wife as the girlfriend of Micah Danemeyer. I now need to publicly clarify the following:

My brother Jean-Thierry Mendiola and his wife Jennifer Mendiola/Alana Kane were recently separated (three months ago). They were in marriage counseling with more sessions scheduled. My brother is deeply in love with his wife and was hopeful about the possibility of a reconciliation.

The day he found out his wife was at the Ghostship was the day he found out Jennifer was seeing someone else. She had not divulged that to our family, her family, my brother or many of her friends. This was a shock.

I have been in touch with Micah's family. They are good people suffering the horrible loss of their beloved family member.

Jennifer was a beautiful and good person who we all love deeply. No matter what. People are human and relationships are complex.

My brother especially wants people to know that she was angelic and didn't have an ounce of malice in her bones.

My brother is devastated to be suffering the loss of his wife and now to hear his wife of 8 years (together 10) to be identified by the media as the girlfriend of someone she's known for a few months. This is a grave shock. So we ask for understanding and sensitivity from the public and the media. We await identification. All we can do is love one another and be compassionate. No judgment.

gitana1

As I told Gitana on the FB page, no one is here to judge. Whatever her SIL chose to do, she is no less beautiful. She deserves justice and I am so very sorry for the family. Brave Gitana we love you

Poor thing. When you were typing this I must've been looking on the FB post under the Memorial Page and she wrote the same thing...So sad for her. I didn't know her as I just started on this forum last week but, I feel her pain.` Peace n Huggs

Somber evening to all my WS Friends. Just arrived home and checked on Gitana and her family.

I feel such grief for those lost in this senseless tragedy.

Gitana, you and your family and friends, are in my thoughts and prayers.

Only4Justice xoxo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gitana I am so sorry that your brother and your family are going through all of this. As we know media can be brutal without proper information about things and to us that doesn't matter as you have told us the truth. Hugs to you and your family as you all are in our thoughts and prayers during this awful time in your life. I hope you can find some peace and comfort knowing that your WS family is here supporting you and sending you our love. :grouphug:

Derrick reminds me of a David Koresh

A trip to the liquor store at the right moment. ........

Running blindly through billowing smoke and stumbling out just in time.

Working the door when the flames burst out. ......

A combination of pure luck, quick action and panic spared the lives of dozens of those who went to what was supposed to be a happy music party in Oakland on Friday night but turned into a fiery scene of agony and chaos.

Adrian Lee, 25, was about 10 feet from the staircase on the second floor, sitting on a bed with two friends, when the flames broke out. “We didn’t see much smoke,” he said. “It was just a plastic-ey, toxic, chemical-type smell.”
They went down the stairs single file, with one of Lee’s friends in front of him and another behind. Halfway down, the smoke obscured everything, Lee said.

As they got to the front door, one of two ways out of the building, several people were yelling, “The entrance is over here!”
Lee and the friend who was in front got out, but the other friend was still unaccounted for Saturday.

Al Garcia, who owns a neighboring business, said two teenage boys huddled in his doorway after fleeing the scene, crying.
“They said they couldn’t see anything — it was pitch-black,” Garcia said. “They said they were the last two to get out. The only reason they got out was they heard voices and followed them.”

“We sort of reasoned that nobody was stuck because there weren’t that many

people,”

found a friend among 20 others who narrowly escaped. That friend had a horrifying story to tell.

riends he intended to meet there didn’t make it because of a mapping error on a Facebook listing.The map on the Facebook event page marked the site on 31st Street instead of 31st Avenue, sending the friends to the wrong place.
“There’s a bunch of people who didn’t show,” he said. “There could have been a lot more casualties.”

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...deadly-Oakland-fire-say-they-are-10689539.php

Gitana, I heard about your SIL on a different thread, and I came here and saw your post. My heart sank when I read your update. Praying that your family can find some peace and comfort during this time of uncertainty and sadness. ((Hugs))

Gitana My heart is breaking for your family especially your brother. I wish I was more eloquent or comforting but All I can say is that we are all here if we can help you. I am so sorry.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Really bugged me.

A talking head type expert , when asked if he thinks evil one ( my new name for "it") is being "watched" he said a resounding "no" they have to wait for the investigation.

I totally think he is gonna try and run. They took his kids away, it is pretty clear he is not getting them back, he has his wife.

IMO , the way he processes the world around him why not run, and start scamming elsewhere? What is keeping him there?

NOthing- they already have a lot of mud on their face, they better not let this happen.

He is on probation, now is not the time for LE to follow the rules - give me a break

moo

Brilliant Gypsy Girl - so very sorry for your loss. Sending my sincerest condolences to you and your family. I'm so sorry.

What a senseless tragedy.

A talking legal head explained that LE can not do anything -- it is private property .

Quote from CARIIS on last thread re: the police in the building in October^^

Hubby (building inspector) and I are discussing this, and we just aren't understanding the laws there. Here the police would have called the building inspection department and the fire marshal, according to him, and the place would have been condemned.
Just not understanding how this happened. So, so sad.

I have been telling myself that it might be reasonable that Jen may have gotten amnesia, and she will show up. It has been mortifying when news says they have new names - I can not imagine what it is like for Git and family.

Think about this - I really can not recall a tragedy (not talking about planes in ocean) wherein there has been such a wait time until knowing what is happening in a situation similar to this horror

IMO in ANY sit the unknown is always always rough

When they said no more victims to be found I thought awesome she has amnesia and it will clear up.

The rain is scary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members