Tropical Storm Gamma has formed - may hit Florida as a hurricane

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Tropical Storm Gamma Forms Near Honduras

(AP) Tropical Storm Gamma — the 24th storm of the busiest hurricane season on record — formed on Friday off the coast of Central America, and forecasters said it could threaten Florida by the beginning of next week, perhaps as a hurricane.

Tropical storm warnings were issued for the coast of Belize and the Bay Islands of Honduras. Mexico issued a tropical storm watch for the eastern Yucatan Peninsula, which was hit hard in October by Hurricane Wilma. Six to 15 inches of rain were possible.

The long-term track from the National Hurricane Center indicated that Gamma may take a path similar to Wilma's and head northeast toward the Florida Peninsula. Wilma sliced across the southern portion of the state Oct. 24, causing widespread power outages and more than 20 deaths.

At 4 p.m. EST, Gamma had winds of 40 mph and was about 40 miles north of Limon, Honduras, moving erratically toward the northwest at about 5 mph.

There have been so many storms this year that forecasters exhausted the alphabetical list of names and began naming storms after letters of the Greek alphabet.

___

On the Net:

National Hurricane Center: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

Damma Gamma
shakefist.gif

This year's weather had been just nuts for the southern USA :(

I cannot even believe there is a possibility for another hurricane. It is just too much. Hurricane fatigue will become a real illness.

TROPICAL STORM GAMMA TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
510 PM EST FRI NOV 18 2005

...HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT INDICATES GAMMA A LITTLE STRONGER...

...SHORTLY BEFORE 500 PM EST... 2200Z... DATA FROM AN AIR FORCE
RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATED THAT MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS IN
TROPICAL STORM GAMMA HAVE INCREASED AND ARE NOW NEAR 45 MPH.

FORECASTER KNABB

Tropical Storm Gamma 3 Day Cone
http://tinyurl.com/cxwlo

Tropical Storm Gamma Satellite Image
http://tinyurl.com/6fmsy

Good Heavens

My mom is flying down to FLA for thanksgiving. About a month ago, she was worried that they'd be hit by a hurricane when she was down there. I told her that was silly...
:bang:

Its actually almost unheard of to have a hurriciane this late in the season.

I just cannot believe this.

PBS had another great program on last night, which I was fortunate to catch. They explained global warning in a way that it makes you realize what we are up against. It's a massive problem. They had some dramatic facts, and presented them very well. There are so many factors linked into global warming, that the danger from it, will come from all directions. They spoke of things, such as, if the temperature in one given area of England went up 1 degree, that it would require that area to receive another 10% of rain, in order to maintain the same moisture level in the soil. That's frightening. They also said the carbon dioxide in the air is increasing dramatically, and during research, they discovered that with a mere 9% in the carbon dioxide levels, the pollen outputs of tested plants, increased by a 61%, now if that doesn't scare a few people, what will??? I'm hoping I can track down the graph they showed that displayed, to show how quickly the Carbon Dioxide levels are increasing.

TROPICAL STORM GAMMA ADVISORY NUMBER 13
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
9 PM CST FRI NOV 18 2005

...GAMMA MOVING SLOWLY AWAY FROM THE COAST OF HONDURAS...

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR THE ENTIRE COAST OF BELIZE
AND FOR THE BAY ISLANDS OF HONDURAS. A TROPICAL STORM WARNING
MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED WITHIN THE
WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR THE EASTERN COAST OF THE
YUCATAN PENINSULA FROM THE BELIZE-MEXICO BORDER NORTHWARD TO PUNTA
ALLEN. A TROPICAL STORM WATCH MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS
ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN 36 HOURS.

INTERESTS ELSEWHERE IN THE NORTHWESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA SHOULD MONITOR
THE PROGRESS OF GAMMA.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE
INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED
BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 9 PM CST...0300Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM GAMMA WAS
ESTIMATED NEAR LATITUDE 16.4 NORTH... LONGITUDE 85.8 WEST OR ABOUT
45 MILES... 70 KM... NORTH-NORTHWEST OF LIMON HONDURAS AND ABOUT
175 MILES... 285 KM... EAST-SOUTHEAST OF BELIZE CITY.

GAMMA IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 5 MPH... 7 KM/HR... AND
THIS GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE DURING THE NEXT 24
HOURS... ALTHOUGH SOME ERRATIC MOTION IS POSSIBLE.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 45 MPH... 75 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. A SLIGHT INCREASE IN STRENGTH IS POSSIBLE DURING THE NEXT 24
HOURS.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 105 MILES... 165 KM
MAINLY TO THE NORTH FROM THE CENTER.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1006 MB...29.71 INCHES.

TROPICAL STORM GAMMA IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE TOTAL RAINFALL
ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 10 INCHES OVER BELIZE...WESTERN CUBA...AND
THE EASTERN YUCATAN PENINSULA OF MEXICO WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM
AMOUNTS OF 15 INCHES. ADDITIONAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 4 TO 8 INCHES
WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF 12 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE OVER
NORTHWESTERN HONDURAS.

REPEATING THE 9 PM CST POSITION...16.4 N... 85.8 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTHWEST NEAR 5 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS... 45 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1006 MB.

AN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE
CENTER AT 12 AM CST FOLLOWED BY THE NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY AT 3 AM
CST.

FORECASTER KNABB

My goodness I am so glad that I sold my house in FLorida. I think that I got out just in time.

I refuse to allow this thing to ruin Thanksgiving. I remember a few ago we had something they referred to as the Thanksgiving Day storm. I can't really remember how bad it was.

Amraann said:
Its actually almost unheard of to have a hurriciane this late in the season.

I just cannot believe this.
The hurrikcane season doesn't end until Nov. 30, so it certainly shouldn't be unexpected. ;)

Buzzm1 said:
PBS had another great program on last night, which I was fortunate to catch. They explained global warning in a way that it makes you realize what we are up against. It's a massive problem. They had some dramatic facts, and presented them very well. There are so many factors linked into global warming, that the danger from it, will come from all directions. They spoke of things, such as, if the temperature in one given area of England went up 1 degree, that it would require that area to receive another 10% of rain, in order to maintain the same moisture level in the soil. That's frightening. They also said the carbon dioxide in the air is increasing dramatically, and during research, they discovered that with a mere 9% in the carbon dioxide levels, the pollen outputs of tested plants, increased by a 61%, now if that doesn't scare a few people, what will??? I'm hoping I can track down the graph they showed that displayed, to show how quickly the Carbon Dioxide levels are increasing.

One major problem with automobiles are the black heat pads we all need to drive them on.

Canada has been doing a lot of research into it, just covering the rooftops with green instead if the tar dropped a community temp over 5 degrees, people use less air conditioning, another system blowing heat out into the atmosphere.

each year the blacktop on earth is growing by over 5%...

Can't poloroid come up with a reflective coating like they use on sunglasses to block the rays and keep the black top from heating up as much?

It is getting serious, and each year the storms are going to continue to grow in intensity, not just frequency.

a couple weeks ago, I was sharing feelings about the anger growing in San Diego over the inflated gas prices, affecting food and other necessities we all need to survive.

Gas prices have dropped down 40 cents a gallon to $2.35 since then... I know important people are watching...

It's time you do something about global warming... just make it happen...

ps. could you also give customs a nudge, 160 of my trucks are stuck and might not make it in before Xmas...

This morning on CNN I heard the storm might not turn into a hurricane because the wind shear is not perfect for that situation. They said the eye will move swiftly to the south of the tip of Florida on Monday, and will probably just give it more wind and rain. Good news!

Scandi

scandi said:
This morning on CNN I heard the storm might not turn into a hurricane because the wind shear is not perfect for that situation. They said the eye will move swiftly to the south of the tip of Florida on Monday, and will probably just give it more wind and rain. Good news!

Scandi
Hi Scandi! Yes, the latest prediction has it going South of Florida, and it doesn't seem to be picking up any wind speed; it appears that Florida will dodge another bullet.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads