1044 users online (241 members and 803 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Woman sues Dunkin Donuts for 15Million

Yep, hot coffee again

A Staten Island woman who was badly burned after spilling scalding hot coffee on her lap is suing Dunkin' Donuts for a cool $15 million. Sharon Shea, 60, suffered second- and third-degree burns after the cardboard tray she was holding in the passenger seat of a friend's car toppled and spilled over her left leg and ankles.

"I'm in so much pain - oh God! It's excruciating pain," said Shea from her bed in the intensive care burn unit of Staten Island University Hospital. "It's just excruciating pain that I wouldn't wish on anybody."

The coffee crisis happened Nov. 12 after Shea and a friend pulled out of a Forest Ave. Dunkin' Donuts drive-through and headed to a strip mall across the street. When the pal tried to park, lids on two cups came off, causing 200-degree java to spill and soak through her jeans, her lawyer said.

In a lawsuit filed yesterday in Staten Island Supreme Court, Shea says the lids weren't fastened when employees passed the cups through a drive-through window around 1:30 p.m.

"I thought I was dying - that's how bad it was," said Shea, a mother of two who lives in Dongan Hills. "All my skin was pulled back like a nylon stocking a lady takes off."

Now, doctors said Shea - who has already spent six days at Staten Island University Hospital - may have to undergo a skin graft.

http://nydailynews.com/front/story/366930p-312147c.html

That doesn't sound like your run of the mill hot coffee spill! Geeesh! 6 days in a burn unit and skin grafts...wow!

Doesn't sound like she's faking to me, sounds like a very very serious burn that will result in severe disfigurement for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ

Doesn't sound like she's faking to me, sounds like a very very serious burn that will result in severe disfigurement for life.
    I don't think she is faking it.. but Hello... she is clumsy - thats not DD's fault

after the cardboard tray she was holding in the passenger seat of a friend's car toppled and spilled over her left leg and ankles.
    15 million???

I'm really sorry for her injury, but 15 million!!!!!!!!!!

I'd ask for a lifetime supply of donuts.

If we got paid for being clumsy - I'd be a billionaire

Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    If we got paid for being clumsy - I'd be a billionaire
    Ain't that the truth Cass!

I will just take the donuts.

I usually side with the companies in these kind of things but if the coffee was really that hot, then her tongue and throat would have been severely burned had she gotten a chance to drink it, so therefore DD would be responsible, in my opinion of course

I wonder if they had a warning Caution: contents hot - on the cup? I know McDonalds does...

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    I wonder if they had a warning Caution: contents hot - on the cup? I know McDonalds does...
    You order a coffee, ***** if it's not hot - but yet need a warning that says Caution, contents hot??????

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Quote Originally Posted by poco
    You order a coffee, ***** if it's not hot - but yet need a warning that says Caution, contents hot??????
    Yep, to protect themselves from stupid lawsuits

Yep, to protect themselves from stupid lawsuits
    The cardboard thing that I put on my windshield to block the sun has a warning on it "Remove before driving."

Geez...People are idiots and want something for nothing. Has anyone ever heard of personal responsibility??

Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim
    Has anyone ever heard of personal responsibility??
    Not when there is big money to be made!!!

Not when there is big money to be made!!!
    I hope that DD doesn't settle out of court with her. I don't think that she should be rewarded for her carelessness.

P.S. I hope that we are allowed to log on from other computers. I am using my mother's computer in Maryland.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast