MA - Georgetown Police Searching for Body in Basement

Dionysia

Former Member
Reaction score
From WHDH Channel 7 Boston:

Police are back on the scene of a Georgetown house connected to a state investigation and sources tell 7News the basement is being dug up.

The FBI, State Police and the Essex County District Attorney have been at the house on Chestnut Street since last week. Sources tell 7News a search warrant was executed and investigators are looking for human remains in the basement.

The homeowner died last month and sources said he was a hoarder, making it hard to navigate inside.

Sources said the search is connected to a cold case dating back to the 1970s or even earlier.

I wonder what cold case they are referring to!

http://whdh.com/news/sources-police-searching-for-body-in-basement-of-georgetown-house/

I wonder if they are looking for missing kids he coached?

Wow. This is strange.

What prompted them to look?

"Pete was a great guy. We had him over for Thanksgiving," Berkland said, adding that*investigators had visited his house five years earlier and brought along K-9 units to search the property.*(Per previous linked article)

So 5 years ago there was a K9 search. Curious. Please don't let this be something horrible....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If he didn't own the house in the 70's and they came 5 years ago with dogs, They probably didn't have enough probable cause to jack hammer some innocent guy's basement floor.
The TV news I was listening to said they were looking for human remains, were Jack Hammering the basement floor.

Looking for a link to that point :findinglink:

ETA : Here's one; http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/12/12/georgetown-residents-fbi/

"“It’s a very small town, this is probably the most excitement we’ve had since I’ve lived here,” one woman, who has lived in Georgetwon for 37 years, said.
It’s also disruptive, though. Berkland said she wants some answers about why local police and the FBI have been digging in Haskell’s yard and basement."

From what I can find, his parent owned the property before him since the 1940s. Upon his parents death, he purchased the house from the estate in 1991.

I wonder if he left something with his estate stating that there was something/someone in the house. Something like a letter or, even, something as family was cleaning out the house.

Just brainstorming...depending on who they think the perpetrator is, there are some old unsolved missing child cases from Lawrence and Lynn. Trying to think of what else is local...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if he left something with his estate stating that there was something/someone in the house. Something like a letter or, even, something as family was cleaning out the house.

I wondered that myself but then the info from the neighbor that LE was at the property with dogs 5 years ago searching it made me think he himself contacted LE but they couldn't do heavy searching until now.
The reports said that he was a "hoarder", which made getting around the inside very difficult for LE. SO the house hasn't been cleaned out it seems.
The Obit only mentioned his Sister and a life long friend as survivors.

http://obituaries.eagletribune.com/story/peter-g-pete-haskell-1931-2016-848689202

I wondered that myself but then the info from the neighbor that LE was at the property with dogs 5 years ago searching it made me think he himself contacted LE but they couldn't do heavy searching until now.
The reports said that he was a "hoarder", which made getting around the inside very difficult for LE. SO the house hasn't been cleaned out it seems.
The Obit only mentioned his Sister and a life long friend as survivors.

http://obituaries.eagletribune.com/story/peter-g-pete-haskell-1931-2016-848689202

Just strange that there isn't any indication WHY the place is being searched.

I hope some news comes out of this. Well, actually I hope not - no news means no remains, and that would be a good thing.

I feel for the searchers - it's a grim task and all the more unpleasant, I'm sure, in dealing with a property of a hoarder.

jmo

So interesting, heard about this while visiting family in Georgetown recently, they knew the man but had no idea what was going on with the search.

So interesting, heard about this while visiting family in Georgetown recently, they knew the man but had no idea what was going on with the search.

:Welcome1: ghostgirl6!

I am only a few miles from there - we are still baffled. I understand that investigators are back again today.

News says bones were found but not yet confirmed as human. I heard through the grapevine it may be a relative from 40 or so years ago.

Just posting so I can keep up with the thread!

In my dreams it's Joan Risch whose remains are found.

More likely:
Angelo Puglisi

Marking my spot. What an intriguing story. While I don't want them to find anything, if it will give someone some peace over a missing loved one, then I'm all for it.

News says bones were found but not yet confirmed as human. I heard through the grapevine it may be a relative from 40 or so years ago.

WELCOME rooroo!

Can you link the news article or station? Thanks!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back