Giant Wiener needs new home

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
hot_dog.jpg

The landmark Coney Island hot dog stand along U.S. 285 will have to find a new home by March because the land it sits on has been sold. "We're willing to sell it, and not see it get destroyed," said Lisa Firman, who along with her husband, Taylor Firman, bought the land and the hot dog stand in 1999. "If we don't work out something with a buyer, we will move it ourselves. We're looking at other properties along U.S. 285."

The 42-foot-long, 15-foot-high building, which was made to look like a giant hot dog on a bun and seats 10 people inside, was built in the mid-1960s as the prototype for a Coney Island Dairyland franchise and was located on West Colfax Avenue near St. Anthony Central Hospital.

In 1971, Vervia Goodwin, now deceased, bought the stand from her sister, Beverly, and moved it to Aspen Park in the Jefferson County foothills. "They trailered it up in the middle of the night," Firman said. "The neighbors woke up to a giant 14-ton hot dog."

Since then, the hot dog stand has become a recognizable fixture in Aspen Park. It was featured on PBS' 1998 A Hot Dog Program and on the Travel Channel's Hot Dog Heaven show two years ago. It also made USA Today's "10 Best Places to Bite A (Hot) Dog" list in 1999.

Former Denver Broncos players, including Karl Mecklenburg, and bands, including Motley Crue, have made the trek to the stand.

Story

What's-his-name Bobbit should buy it!

Casshew, I have looked forward to your bizzare news posts every day for the past couple years. I only recently signed up at websleuths but I wanted you to know that your news stories have brought me and my coworkers much mirth. :) Thanks to you and all the others here for their levity.

Ix

Casshew said:
hot_dog.jpg

The landmark Coney Island hot dog stand along U.S. 285 will have to find a new home by March because the land it sits on has been sold.
OH my God Casshew, not the Weiner!:blushing: I love that monument. I have been there when I was a child. I hold it in high ESTEEM. Its length, its beauty, its--well, how many adjectives are there to describe a GIANT WEINER:D And to know that Motley Crew visited, what else can I say!!

I wonder if I can pony up the bucks to buy up the WEINER!

I'm just so sad now. Thank you for the information. I guess I better just crawl off into a hole and sob.....

I just can't take all our USA landmarks being sold, or destroyed.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Gozgals, Happy Thanksgiving Casshew and All! GOBBLE

Ixions Fire said:
Casshew, I have looked forward to your bizzare news posts every day for the past couple years.
What a nice compliment! I'm glad you finally signed up ~ welcome to Websleuths :)

Gozgals said:
OH my God Casshew, not the Weiner!:blushing:
Childhood memories of the big wiener? LOL you poor thing, hopefully somone will give it a good new home for future generations of kids to visit :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back