GUILTY NC - Min Soon Chang, 18, killed by drunk driver, Charlotte, Nov 2005

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
Illegal immigrant charged in fatal wreck

Jorge Hernandez, 35, is accused of driving more than 100 mph on the wrong side of the highway. His Ford Expedition collided head on with another vehicle, police said.

"The crash last night was a severe impact," said Trooper Brian Huffstickler of the North Carolina Highway Patrol. "It was probably one of the worst crashes we've ever seen."

750.gif
01____18-dwi.jpg
750.gif
750.gif
The head-on collision was devastating.
750.gif
The driver of the other vehicle, 18-year-old Min Soon Chang, was killed. Hernandez was injured, as was Tasha Beth Thomas, who was driving a vehicle that the Expedition sideswiped after the head-on collision.

750.gif
03__18-dwi3.jpg
750.gif
750.gif
The aftermath was caught on tape.
750.gif

U.S. Rep. Sue Myrick, R-N.C., is working on legislation that would strengthen penalties against illegal immigrants who are convicted of DWI. She became vocal about the issue when Scott Gardner, a Gaston County teacher, was killed in July by an illegal immigrant who was driving drunk.

http://www.news14charlotte.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=107241

2 years later, family copes with tragedy 7:41 AM

[SIZE=+1]Tina Gardner still can't talk after crash that killed husband[/SIZE]

Two years after the drunken-driving crash that turned Tina Gardner and her husband, Scott, into local symbols in the national immigration debate, Gardner remains in a nursing home, unable to speak or move.
On July 16, 2005, the Mount Holly couple and their two children were traveling to Sunset Beach when a pickup plowed into their station wagon on a two-lane highway in Brunswick County.
The other driver, Ramiro Gallegos, had a blood-alcohol level of 0.22, nearly three times the legal limit. Gallegos, who was in the U.S. illegally, also had five previous DWI charges -- with four convictions. Gallegos, 28, is serving up to 17 years in prison after pleading guilty to second-degree murder.

More: http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/stories/wcnc-071607-jmn-gardner_family.7dda47c1.html

M_IMAGE.11350fb5491.93.88.fa.d0.7ddc754b.jpg

The Charlotte Observer
Tina and Scott Gardner in their engagement photo taken in 1997.

This stuff happens all the time out here in AZ. There are so undocumented Mexican workers out here, many drive even though they have no license and no insurance. They also commit alot of the hit and runs.

2 brothers were arrested for drag racing in 2 seperate cars and they lost control and hit each other and 4 other vehicles. Neither had a license or insurance. The article did not say if they were here legally or not. I have no idea how these people buy vehicles without a license or insurance.

I've already said something about this subject in another post. I fear it will never end any time soon.

LOL, I still remember when I saw a landscaping truck hit another car iun front of it. Within seconds, I saw 8-10 mexicans jumping out and running from the truck. I'm only guessing, but they were probably illegal...

I love it when people try to argue that illegals are not a detriment to our economy. I am not saying that only illegals drive without insurance, but a good % of the car accidents out here involve an illegal. Almost daily here do we read about a car accident and a hispanic looking individual is seen fleeing from the vehicle. The ones that flee, regardless of race, usually lack a license, insurance or both, and sometimes the car is stolen.

I love it when people try to argue that illegals are not a detriment to our economy. I am not saying that only illegals drive without insurance, but a good % of the car accidents out here involve an illegal. Almost daily here do we read about a car accident and a hispanic looking individual is seen fleeing from the vehicle. The ones that flee, regardless of race, usually lack a license, insurance or both, and sometimes the car is stolen.

The sad thing is ... the fact that the guy had multiple DWIs before this .... and now he killed someone and left a woman paralized. :(

What did the guys illegal status have to do with this??

Lets be honest plenty of citizens are Ahole's who drink and drive and kill people. Plenty don't have insurance! ... In order to get a tag for you car you must be licensed and insured .... so who got the tag for them??

I just don't really see how his status as a citizen or lack thereof plays into it.

Nocgirl, a good majority of accidents where I live are caused by the elderly who are all "legal" and have more then contributed to taxes and paid their insurance.

There is a big case going on out here in AZ regarding a Turkish immigrant, finally being charged with 4 counts of Manslaughter after he killed a young family of 4 when he rear-ended them going 65 mph. Their car burst into flames and the parents and 2 young kids were killed.

The media has given conflicting info on whether or not this guy is here legally, but he has a history of seizures, and should not have been driving. They have determined he likely had a seizure behind the wheel which is the only way they can explain how he could not see this vehicle stopped.

I am not sure whether he had insurance or not. What a terrible tragedy though.

What did the guys illegal status have to do with this??

Lets be honest plenty of citizens are Ahole's who drink and drive and kill people. Plenty don't have insurance! ... In order to get a tag for you car you must be licensed and insured .... so who got the tag for them??

I just don't really see how his status as a citizen or lack thereof plays into it.

Nocgirl, a good majority of accidents where I live are caused by the elderly who are all "legal" and have more then contributed to taxes and paid their insurance.

Here's the problem with auto accidents and illegal immigrants: When they are involved, they simply give a false name, run away (literally) or claim they don't speak English. The police then let them go for various reasons, and they go back to their underground economy. Then they are involved in another accident and the same thing repeats. No consequences, no way for the other party to get reparation, nothing.

Legal residents/citizens have identification, and are expected to produce it--even if they don't have insurance. The other party can still get legal reparation because of the identification.

Hello there, I just wanted to say please don't judg all immigrants because of this accident, I know some of you aren't but there are a couple posts there. Immigration is a very heated issue right now and if there is an illegal involved we will hear about it. I am half Mexican and my husband came here from Mexico illegally when he was 14. His parents sent him and his brothers here to work to send money back so they could live. That is what most of them are doing here, they are very hard working and yes there will always be the few bad ones, but there is in every group. This is a human rights issue, not an illegal or legal issue. My husband and I have been married for 10 years and have two children. We do not live on welfare and I have finished college. He could possibly be deported leaving me and my children alone without a father and then possibly having to turn to welfare. Billions of dollars in illegals tax money is never returned to them, so yes they do help the economy. We feel the prejudice and my husband has been asked for ID when he is a passenger "because of terrorists" according to police. If they would give the illegal people drivers license like some states have suggested, that would dramatically cut down on the hit and runs and also the no insurance. Illinois just recently passed this and it will go into effect next year. It is the only solution while congress sits on their thumbs deciding what to do:doh:

I do not judge immigrant at all, only the illegals that drive without a license and insurance.

AZ and CA have more illegals in the state than any other state, and them driving and causing car accidents is a HUGE problem.

Like I said I realize they do not cause all the accidents, but they sure are a burden on us taxpayers as we have no way to get any $$$ from them and many just flee back to Mexico after it happens, or the person who's social security number they are using, gets screwed.

My husband is Mexican, his whole family 100% Mexican and they all were born here to legal immigrants, and they all work and pay their taxes. A couple of his siblings are very successful business owners.

Imthemom, the illegals that do pay into the system due so illegally because they are using other people identities. That is a crime, and a felony so therefore since they pay into the system illegally, they should not be entitled to the benefits.

I realize this is a heated and controversial subject. I am married to a hispanic and my mother in law runs a controversial non profit group to help day laborers, most of which are here illegally.

My sister in law actually works for a city out here in AZ, a program that helps pregnant women without insurance. She admits that most of these women are illegal immigrants which brings the question, how do they pay for their deliveries? The answer, we do because the city puts them on emergency ACCCHS when they deliver.

You cannot say the illegals do not drain our healthcare system, because they do. A few hospitals out here in AZ (CLOSE TO THE BORDER) are actually close to closing their doors because they cannot operate when over half of their patients are illegals and do not pay their hospital bills.

Here are some numbers for CA hospitals:

Almost half of all immigrants either have no insurance or have it provided to them at taxpayers expense. In some hospitals, especially in L.A., as much as 2/3 of total operating costs are for uncompensated care of illegal aliens. Here's the kicker:
84 California hospitals are closing their doors as a direct result of the rising number of illegal aliens and their non-reimbursed tax on the system. Have you heard the term "anchor baby"? Over 300k babies annually become U.S. citizens. These are "American" babies born to illegal moms. This birth means their families become citizens simply because Mom is here illegally. This US birth means that Uncle Pablo in Michoacan can now come here legally and live. Live how? Off the system. In 1994, California paid for 75,000 deliveries to illegal alien mothers, at a cost of $215 million. Now, each one of those babies generates $1,000 in public welfare each month for the family.And this figure is from 13 years ago! Its got to be triple the amount now.

Wow for being married to a Hispanic you sure don't sound like you like them very much. Well it is not true that by having a child you become legal and you can't bring uncle Pablo over. It is almost impossible for a Mexican to get a Visa to come to America legally if you are of working age. Did you know that? Yet other immigrants are allowed in. There is no possible way to become legal at this moment even if you have children born here. Why do you think you see the protest signs DON'T TAKE MY MOM OR DAD! Have you heard of the lady who is living in a church because she is afraid immigration will take her, her son was born here. Yes they did break the law and come here illegally and yes they should have to pay a fine as punishment, but what should we do lock them all up. Yes there is a crisis in healthcare right now as I know because I work in healthcare but there are many Citizens who do not have ways to pay the bills either, you can't blame it all on illegals. Who would do the restaurant jobs, crop picking, meat packing companies. Not Americans! And they do use fake # but not a whole identity and they do not get their taxes that they pay in back! Something needs to be done, the laws need to be changed. Good grief have a heart, all these people want is to live the American dream. Have you forgotten all our ancestors immigrated to this country at one point and no back then you didn't need a legal visa you just came. We pushed the Native Americans into reservations and took their land! How would you feel if your family were going to be split apart, every try putting the shoe on the other foot?

Hello there, I just wanted to say please don't judg all immigrants because of this accident, I know some of you aren't but there are a couple posts there. Immigration is a very heated issue right now and if there is an illegal involved we will hear about it. I am half Mexican and my husband came here from Mexico illegally when he was 14. His parents sent him and his brothers here to work to send money back so they could live. That is what most of them are doing here, they are very hard working and yes there will always be the few bad ones, but there is in every group. This is a human rights issue, not an illegal or legal issue. My husband and I have been married for 10 years and have two children. We do not live on welfare and I have finished college. He could possibly be deported leaving me and my children alone without a father and then possibly having to turn to welfare. Billions of dollars in illegals tax money is never returned to them, so yes they do help the economy. We feel the prejudice and my husband has been asked for ID when he is a passenger "because of terrorists" according to police. If they would give the illegal people drivers license like some states have suggested, that would dramatically cut down on the hit and runs and also the no insurance. Illinois just recently passed this and it will go into effect next year. It is the only solution while congress sits on their thumbs deciding what to do:doh:

So why don't you just do the right thing, and get him legalized? Seems that since he is married to a citizen and you have children together, it wouldn't be that difficult.

I do not judge immigrant at all, only the illegals that drive without a license and insurance.

Illegals are not immigrants anyway. The fact one overstayed their legal welcome or managed to sneak across a border into the US does not an immigrant make.

Immigrants are just that: they immigrated to a new country, illegals are just that: illegal in a country (did not comply with said country's immigration laws). Those are the laws of many countries, including the US. That has nothing to do with 'human rights'. Sob story or not.

So why don't you just do the right thing, and get him legalized? Seems that since he is married to a citizen and you have children together, it wouldn't be that difficult.

If he snuck across the border then he can't be 'legalized', even if married to a USC. He has the option to leave alone, stay in Mexico for 10 years and then immigrate based on their marriage. They probably even would be succesful in filing a waiver for the 10 year ban also. But in order to become legal he has to leave the US. This does not mean the family gets broken up, as they are free to move to Mexico with him.

He can not become legalized since the law changed when Clinton was in office. If we would have filed when we first got married 10 years ago he could have but we didn't know and we had no money to file then. He has a brother that is a natural born citzen but he was born in Mexico. Believe me we have been trying for six years. That it why there are some many illegals because there is no way for them to become legal even if they are married to citizens and have children. That is all we want is not to have to worry about this anymore, it is such a burden on our shoulders. I just hope people can have some compasion. My brother in law lives in Chicago. His next door neighbors are from Poland. They have three kids the olds was a baby when they brought him here. They let is Visa expire and they all became illegal. He is now 18 and was busted in an immigration raid, they are deporting him to Poland where he has no family and can not even speak Polish. They are deporting people and phenomenal rates right now and it is scary to be an immigrant. I just want to share so that people can understand where a lot of illegals are coming from, I don't want to start a war about it. Thanks.

If he snuck across the border then he can't be 'legalized', even if married to a USC.
I'm not so sure of that. Certainly it couldn't hurt to talk to an immigration attorney. Since he's obviously been here for many years, I'd be willing to bet there are provisions for obtaining a legal status, given his marriage to a citizen.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back