GUILTY CA - Massive fire at Oakland warehouse party, 36 dead, 2 Dec 2016 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CARIIS

Former Member
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]The blaze is already being called one of the deadliest single-structure fires in Oaklands history, if not the deadliest.

[/FONT]Video:

Officials confirm 24 dead, search continues for more victims in Oakland warehouse fire

no evidence that smoke detectors were activated during the fire - East Bay Times

unclear if those people are missing, dead or have walked away from scene - NBC News

Oakland CA - Massive 3 alarm -fire at work space party -Sheriff says up to

ontinue to battle 3-alarm warehouse fire - @OaklandFireLive

[FONT=&amp] electronic music party in a Fruitvale district live-work space, Oakland fire officials said.
The blaze tore through the two-story building in the 1300 block of 31st Avenue at about 11:30 p.m. Friday during an event featuring musician Golden Donnas 100% Silk West Coast tour.

Most of the nine dead were found on the second floor,

no sprinkler system in the structure, the chief said.
We still have to do a more thorough search of the building and we dont know the potential number of other victims,

party-goers were on social media early Saturday looking for confirmation their loved ones are safe

The building houses some 50 people and is an artists collective. One, a photographer and artist, said a friend hurt himself and asked for help getting out. Bob Mule said he tried, but couldnt do it.
It was too hot, too much smoke, I had to get out of there,

I literally felt my skin peeling and my lungs being suffocated by smoke. I couldnt get the fire extinguisher to work.

he could see someone calling for help from second floor window, and tried to get a ladder, but they jumped out the window.:
The blaze brought 55 firefighters to the scene

Firefighters aggressively attacked the blaze inside the structure when conditions changed and they had to go back outside.

Arson investigators will be called to the scene

Officials confirm 24 dead, search continues for more victims in Oakland warehouse fire

[/FONT]Oakland CA - Massive 3 alarm -fire 9 dead-Sheriff says up to
[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

Thread #2

Last edited by a moderator:
Please continue here

Bringing over Part 5 of the New York Times series that Jax linked in the last thread:

Ms. Scrivani is one of a number of people living in warehouses illegally here who are facing eviction after the tragedy. Looking to prevent evictions from spreading more widely, members of the Oakland City Council have started working with the city attorney to write legislation that would allow tenants of these spaces to stay in place, as well as allow city inspectors to investigate buildings for life-threatening risks without imposing the full extent of the building code.
Mr. Cook, who does work in eviction and tenant law, said the firm planned to work with the Eviction Defense Collaborative in Oakland and the Justice and Diversity Center in San Francisco to assist tenants with their defense. Tenants who have called the office have said they received written and verbal eviction notices.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/14/u...-living-in-warehouses-face-eviction.html?_r=0

In the photo accompanying the article I believe the pallet stairs - or what's left of them ' can be seen on the right side. The top part is a charred mess while a few pallets at the bottom remain untouched.

There's a music video on YouTube that was made at the GS and posted about a year and a half ago. I found an article about it and the musician who sings in it. The video is worth watching just for the irony factor alone. A sign keeps flashing saying "Not Responsible for Fire Theft or Lost Articles" and in the last seconds you see smoke and flames superimposed over images of the GS. Wow.

More irony: the musician, Alexander Doré, says Derick Ion, who produced the video with him, is not Manson, and defends him. He says the GS was a no fire space, meaning no candles or incense. Yeah, right. Anyone who's scoured the Internet for photos and video of the GS has seen people smoking cigarettes inside, incense burning, candles lit, even a campfire.

The article is a good read though.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...-Oakland-Warehouse-Defends-Him-405709855.html

Any reason why the building wasn't inspected for over 30 years? Who dropped the ball on that?
Is the owner responsible for it NOT having sprinklers or up to code?

Oakland firefighters didn’t assume burning Ghost Ship was vacant

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Oakland-firefighters-didn-t-assume-burning-10797021.php

As Oakland firefighters pulled up to the burning Ghost Ship warehouse the night of Dec. 2, they weren’t exactly sure what they were dealing with — whether anyone was trapped or what they would encounter inside — but they didn’t assume it was a vacant building.

Public safety officials in Oakland have long been aware that people live and party in warehouses — some firefighters say they can tell whether one is inhabited just by looking at its exterior. But even if the Fire Department didn’t know the Ghost Ship had people living in it, as Fire Chief Teresa Deloach Reed said, firefighters treated the blaze as they would any other burning building: They assumed someone was stuck inside.

That thinking, said fire Lt. Dan Robertson, requires a strategy of “aggressive interior attack” — which some fire departments, like Oakland’s, emphasize more than others. It’s why he and about eight other firefighters swarmed into the artists collective on 31st Avenue near International Boulevard with hoses and breathing apparatuses, even as pieces of the building were coming down around them.

BBM

First responders hold vigil

As a bagpipe played, first responders from Oakland's fire and police departments, joined by members from the Alameda County sheriff's department, joined in a process to pay tribute to the 36 souls who perished in the blaze on Dec. 2 at the warehouse. The American Red Cross led the procession.
One battalion chief who responded to the fire on that Friday night said it was among the worst incidents he's seen in his 17 years with the department.
Moore said he was shaken by the number of people who died in the blaze.

"That was the part that shocked me," he said.
"You're wondering how many people were in there," Moore said. "That was one of the things that really affected me."

During the vigil, the fire bell rang 36 times before a moment of silence followed. The first responders who rushed to the Fruitvale District that night said they take comfort in knowing they helped families make sense of the chaos.

http://www.ktvu.com/oakland-warehouse-fire/223334654-story

There were so many victims of the GS fire; those who died, those who escaped, those who lost their home, the families, the friends, firefighters, EMTs, the people and businesses who lived close to the warehouse... it just goes on and on.

Jumping off a post that human made on the last thread, it's a challenge to try and fill the needs for people to have safe and affordable housing without causing them to be priced out their homes in the process. At the same time though, the tenants and artists need to keep in mind that when the housing is unsafe and things go south like on December 2, it's not just them who are ultimately affected.

If I was the wife of a first responder I would feel very angry that Derick Ion, Micah Allison and the GS owner Ng allowed the warehouse to become a death trap. I don't blame the people who sublet from Ion but I very much blame him and his wife, maybe even more than Ng since they were there on a day to day basis and actually contributed to the junk in the space.

I just noticed that Google Maps street view image of the Ghost Ship has been updated (Oct 2016).

I just noticed that Google Maps street view image of the Ghost Ship has been updated (Oct 2016).

It hasn't for me - it's still showing the body shop with customers and the rollup door is half down and the window panes aren't installed. Can you give a link? Maybe I need to clear my cache.

GS Google Front.jpg

It hasn't for me - it's still showing the body shop with customers and the rollup door is half down and the window panes aren't installed. Can you give a link? Maybe I need to clear my cache.

View attachment 106180

Expand the black box in the upper left-hand corner and then move the slider to 2016.

Same here -- of course it's before the fire, but you can plainly see "Ghostship" painted on the building... eerie. Sad to say, but that place is now full of ghosts. Oh, what an awful catastrophe.

Expand the black box in the upper left-hand corner and then move the slider to 2016.

Thanks. I didn't know that option existed. 2011 is available, before it was the Ghost Ship.

Thanks. I didn't know that option existed. 2011 is available, before it was the Ghost Ship.

Yeah, and the picture from January of 2014 shows Satya Yuga painted on the door, and the lone piano sitting out front.

In the 2014 pictures on the street view, there were metal grates on all three of the front 2nd floor windows. When you look at the October 2016 picture, only the center window has the grate, so I'm guessing one of the other two sets of windows was where the two teenagers got out.

Oakland fire: Ghost Ship owner has business license on warehouse

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2016/12...r-had-pulled-a-business-license-on-warehouse/

The owner of the Ghost Ship warehouse where 36 people perished earlier this month has had a business license at that Fruitvale address for more than two decades, a city official confirmed Thursday, yet firefighters charged with inspecting Oakland’s commercial businesses never reviewed the building.

Chor Ng, 62, filed for the business license in 1995 on her property at 1315 31st Ave., writing on the form that she wanted to operate a “commercial rental,” said Margaret O’Brien, Oakland’s revenue and tax administrator. The property owner was up to date on her annual business taxes, O’Brien said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snugglebear