1129 users online (193 members and 936 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax49 View Post
    Thanks. I didn't know that option existed. 2011 is available, before it was the Ghost Ship.
    Yeah, and the picture from January of 2014 shows Satya Yuga painted on the door, and the lone piano sitting out front.

In the 2014 pictures on the street view, there were metal grates on all three of the front 2nd floor windows. When you look at the October 2016 picture, only the center window has the grate, so I'm guessing one of the other two sets of windows was where the two teenagers got out.
    Last edited by McMunn; 12-15-2016 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McMunn View Post
    Expand the black box in the upper left-hand corner and then move the slider to 2016.
    Thank you! That's brilliant!

GS Front Jun2011.jpgGS Front Jan2014.jpgGS Front Aug2014.jpgGS Front Oct2016.jpg

Oakland fire: Ghost Ship owner has business license on warehouse

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2016/12/...-on-warehouse/

The owner of the Ghost Ship warehouse where 36 people perished earlier this month has had a business license at that Fruitvale address for more than two decades, a city official confirmed Thursday, yet firefighters charged with inspecting Oakland’s commercial businesses never reviewed the building.

Chor Ng, 62, filed for the business license in 1995 on her property at 1315 31st Ave., writing on the form that she wanted to operate a “commercial rental,” said Margaret O’Brien, Oakland’s revenue and tax administrator. The property owner was up to date on her annual business taxes, O’Brien said.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax49 View Post
    Oakland fire: Ghost Ship owner has business license on warehouse

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2016/12/...-on-warehouse/
    "Oops, we goofed," responded (fill in a name here).

Dammit.

All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
    William Shakespeare, King Richard II

The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City

Something else interesting is that the large door on the side wasn't there as of October 2016. In 2011 there was not door at all on the side. By 2014 there was a small door - I believe a resident said he had cut one in.

It's really sad to see the junk accrue around the GS over the years. To me it seems like Derick Ion was more of a budding hoarder than an artist.

GS Side Jun2011.jpgGS Side Aug2014.jpgGS Side Oct2016.jpgGS Side Dec2016.jpg

http://www.ktvu.com/oakland-warehous...24065436-story

Civil Rights Attorney John Burris will host a meeting Friday in response to the deadly Ghost Ship warehouse fire in Oakland.
    The community meeting will focus on tenants' rights.

I've been wondering why we haven't heard from Derick Ion and Micah Allison for the last few days. He's hired a famous attorney to represent him even though no charges have been filed against him. I suppose when you make a nice profit monthly by subletting to artists in your death trap of a warehouse you can afford such services.

OAKLAND — Derick Almena, the leader of the Ghost Ship warehouse where 36 people died earlier this month in a fast-moving blaze, has retained the services of famed attorney Tony Serra, along with two other lawyers who work in the same San Francisco office.
    Serra has defended a number of high-profile clients over the decades, including Huey Newton, Ellie Nesler, Sarah Jane Olson and the Hells Angels. Most recently, he represented Raymond “Shrimp Boy” Chow in a major federal racketeering case.
    http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2016/12/...derick-almena/

Serra may be one of the most famous and colorful defense attorneys in the Bay Area.
    The facility was not equipped with sprinklers, had not been permitted as a music event site and was also not permitted to allow artists to live in the building.

Authorities have said the makeshift construction of artist live/work spaces in the first floor of the building made it nearly impossible for firefighters to battle the fire and for partygoers to escape.
    http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...ative-founder/

I was doing a little math... most sources say that there were 20 to 25 residents living in the Ghostship. The rents have been posted as anywhere from $300/mo. to $750/mo. Taking an average monthly rent of $550 and the number of renters at 20, Ion was collecting a minimum of $11,000 a month. Subtracting his rent to Ng and about $400/mo for his share of electricity, Ion was making at least $5,600 a month in profits. Not bad for someone who did nothing.

That doesn't even count the additional money Ion collected that was supposed to go towards improvements in the GS that were never done. And it doesn't include the money he charged for the use of the warehouse for parties, which averaged once or twice a month at the cost of at least another $1,000.

For that kind of money Ion could have installed sprinklers, even if Ng refused to pay part of the cost. Instead, he and his wife traveled the world and bought junk that nobody really needed.

Will somebody explain to me how that isn't the ultimate abuse of the artist community? How can any of these people support Ion, who clearly used them for his own financial gain? And now the money he got from them is going to defend him? It makes me sick.
    Last edited by MsMarple; 12-16-2016 at 11:33 PM.

This may be a really dumb question, but for some reason I don't imagine Derrick Ion as one to use a bank ---- if not, where did he keep all that money he had coming in monthly? And all those renters probably had their money burned up, too --- is it even possible to recover that loss?
    "At Websleuths we take pride in being a notch above the rest. " Harmony2, WS
    * *. * * *. *. *. *
    Justice for Julia Niswender, murdered 12/10/2012, unsolved
    Justice for Christopher Preston 9/7/2013 - 10/10/2014; LWOP for Joseph Adams
    Chelsea Bruck, missing 10/26/2014, found 4/24/2015 ; Daniel Clay-Guilty Felony Murder/concealing body 5/16/2017
    Find Eric Franks (40) Missing from Bridgeport, MI since March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Spellbound View Post
    This may be a really dumb question, but for some reason I don't imagine Derrick Ion as one to use a bank ---- if not, where did he keep all that money he had coming in monthly? And all those renters probably had their money burned up, too --- is it even possible to recover that loss?
    He would have to have some kind of insurance . And even then getting cash civered is nearly impossible, People could make up any sum.

Here's info about his attorney Tony Serra. Kind of "far out" as attorneys go. He has taken a vow of poverty! He has also spent time in prison for refusing to pay income taxes protesting the war in Iraq. I would love to be a fly on the wall when he and DIA meet to discuss things. He and Almena march to two entirely different drummers. Can you imagine trying to communicate with DIA in a rational way?! Serra seems to love challenging cases. He won the lottery with this one!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Serra
    FOUR YEARS IS 1460 DAYS TOO LONG!!
    SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE KNOWS SOMETHING! SPEAK UP!
    STEPHANIE ANNE WARNER, 43, RUCH, OREGON

MISSING & PRESUMED MURDERED July 4, 2013
    LENNIE AMES NAMED SUSPECT
    Anonymous Tips? Reward up to $1000
    Crime Stoppers of So. Oregon 800-850-0580

DISCUSSION:http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2#post10750872

Quote Originally Posted by Lilibet View Post
    Here's info about his attorney Tony Serra. Kind of "far out" as attorneys go. He has taken a vow of poverty! He has also spent time in prison for refusing to pay income taxes protesting the war in Iraq. I would love to be a fly on the wall when he and DIA meet to discuss things. He and Almena march to two entirely different drummers. Can you imagine trying to communicate with DIA in a rational way?! Serra seems to love challenging cases. He won the lottery with this one!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Serra
    Sounds like they will get along. Serra sounds like he represented some good causes and some not so good.

They are both outside of the mainstream but Derick thinks he is a guru.

I suppose Serra is taking the case for free or a tiny bit of money.

Serra seems like he believes in helping people while Derick believes in helping himself
    Last edited by human; 12-17-2016 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spellbound View Post
    Ion was importing goods from Indonesia - it's likely he had to cut checks for payment and customs. I dunno, I get the feeling that many, if not most did have bank accounts, as opposed to stuffing bills under their mattresses. While the artists considered themselves fringe or underground, many of them nevertheless promoted their work in mainstream ways where they would have needed a bank account in order to receive checks from clients and sales.

For example, Cash Askew's album can be purchased on Amazon. Remember, these people were for the most part artists who worked for a living, not homeless people. Well, except for greedy Derick and his rental scam.

I wonder if Derick paid taxes on what he made. I hope he is facing IRS issues as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MsMarple View Post
    Ion was importing goods from Indonesia - it's likely he had to cut checks for payment and customs. I dunno, I get the feeling that many, if not most did have bank accounts, as opposed to stuffing bills under their mattresses. While the artists considered themselves fringe or underground, many of them nevertheless promoted their work in mainstream ways where they would have needed a bank account in order to receive checks from clients and sales.

For example, Cash Askew's album can be purchased on Amazon. Remember, these people were for the most part artists who worked for a living, not homeless people. Well, except for greedy Derick and his rental scam.
    Cash didn't live in the warehouse. She attended the show with her close friend Feral Pines.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast