866 users online (74 members and 792 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof GUILTY #3

Dylann Roof says he almost backed out because everyone at church was ‘so nice,’ bond set at $1 million
    Posted 1:00 PM, June 19, 2015, by CNN Wire, Updated at 02:54pm, June 19, 2015

CHARLESTON, S.C. (June 19, 2015) — Dylann Roof was charged on Friday with nine counts of murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime for this week’s shooting at a historically black church in the city.

Dylann Roof Hears Victims' Families Speak at 1st Court Appearance: 'I Forgive You'
    Jun 19, 2015, 4:05 PM ET
    By EMILY SHAPIRO

Several family members of the nine people killed at Charleston's Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church balanced their grief with forgiveness at Dylann Roof’s first court appearance this afternoon.
    “I forgive you,” the daughter of victim Ethel Lance, 70, said through tears to Roof, who appeared at the bond hearing via video-conferencing from jail. "You took something very precious from me and I will never talk to her ever again. I will never be able to hold her again. But I forgive you. And have mercy on your soul."

Charleston church shooter hears victims' kin say, 'I forgive you'
    By Ralph Ellis, Greg Botelho and Ed Payne, CNN
    Updated 9:16 PM ET, Fri June 19, 2015

CNN)Dylann Roof heard words of forgiveness from families of some of the nine people he's accused of killing.
    His response: A blank expression.

Wearing a striped inmate jumpsuit, the 21-year-old appeared Friday afternoon by video feed at a bond hearing in Charleston, South Carolina. He stood motionless while listening to the anguished words of relatives of victims he gunned down Wednesday night at a Bible study at the historic Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church.
    Thread #1
    Thread #2
    Last edited by Tricia; 12-15-2016 at 05:01 PM.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. Buddha
    Dylan Roof FOUND GUILTY

From the New York Times:

"CHARLESTON, S.C. — Dylann S. Roof, a self-radicalized young white supremacist who killed nine black parishioners last year when he opened fire during a long-planned assault on Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, was found guilty by a federal jury here on Thursday."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/15/us...rial.html?_r=0
    Websleuths is TEMPORARILY accepting donations.
    For a more detail explanation of why Websleuths is asking for your help CLICK HERE

Dylann Roof Found Guilty in Charleston Church Massacre

"...Mr. Roof, 22, stood, his hands at his side and his face emotionless, as a clerk read the verdict aloud in court. Two deputy United States marshals stood behind Mr. Roof, whose lawyers also stood nearby.

He will face the same jurors next month when they gather on Jan. 3 to begin a second and more suspenseful phase of his trial to decide whether he will be sentenced to death or life in prison without parole. In the phase, however, Mr. Roof has told the judge that he plans to represent himself....

The decision to try Mr. Roof was a subject of some dispute. Through his lawyers, he had offered to plead guilty in exchange for a sentence of life in prison. Ms. Sanders and Ms. Sheppard both supported such an agreement, as did many family members of the victims.

But the Justice Department chose to seek the death penalty, in part, prosecutors said in a court filing, because of Mr. Roof “expressed hatred and contempt toward African-Americans, as well as other groups.”

Despite their reservations, Ms. Sanders and relatives of the victims filed into Courtroom Six for nearly every moment of the trial.

Mr. Roof never looked toward them."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/15/us...e-iphone-share
    ----------------------

Travis Alexander (1977-2008)

Teghan Alyssa Skiba (RIP sweet baby)
    -------------------------
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle. - Ian MacLaren

The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it - Flannery O'connor

Praying for comfort for the families of the victims.

Rest In Peace
    Caylee Marie Anthony

The Post and Courier Retweeted
    Glenn Smith ‏@glennsmith5 3m3 minutes ago
    Transport van taking #DylannRoof back to jail after guilty verdict in #RoofTrial

----------------------

Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle. - Ian MacLaren

The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it - Flannery O'connor

The Post and Courier Retweeted
    Jennifer Berry Hawes ‏@JenBerryHawes 2m2 minutes ago
    #DylannRoof victims' families stoic, holding hands as verdict read convicting on all 33 federal charges. @postandcourier
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 46s47 seconds ago
    Family of the #MotherEmanuel victims leave the courthouse. #chsnews #RoofTrial

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 55s55 seconds ago
    Some of the families are speaking in uplifting voices. #chsnews
    ----------------------

When will victim impact statements happen? I know many of these people are so kind hearted but I hope they really give it to him!
    'Every life has a measure of sorrow, and sometimes this is what awakens us.' - Steven Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
    When will victim impact statements happen? I know many of these people are so kind hearted but I hope they really give it to him!
    If I heard correctly roof will be allowed to question/ talk to them. jmo
    It's my opinion if no link provided.

Misspellings due to fat fingers

Words matter.

You don't know what you don't know.

Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

I am so thankful for this Jury. God bless them!
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

As much as I think he deserves the DP... maybe life without parole would be better. Unless the DP was carried out within months and no appeals. He's confessed, and if there was ever a viable candidate for this punishment.....
    But no. It would take 40 years or more.. and endless appeals to endure for the families.

I hope every day of Dylann's life in prison is filled with fear and pain ; and always looking over his shoulder --never able to rest.
    Prison should be a punishment and not a retreat.

Those people welcomed him and gave him no reason to want to hurt them; and they've been more gracious than I could ever be.
    D.R. is the epitome of evil.

It had to be so difficult for the families in the courtroom, as the Prosecution showed pictures of the victims as they were found in the church along with pictures of them in life:

“A person’s actions tell us what they are thinking and what is in their heart,” Williams said as photos of Roof’s victims were shown in the court.
    Each victim was shown gunned down on the floor of the church’s basement, depicted as they were at the time of their death. Above each graphic photo was a portrait of the victims as they were during their lives.
    Huddled together under blankets in the chilly courtroom, the families of the victims began weeping. Some kept their heads bowed, rocking back and forth, while other held their heads high refusing to look away. One relative groaned and rushed from the courtroom as an image of Tywanza Sanders was shown, his arm outstretched toward Susie Jackson as they lie dead on the church floor. Jackson, the oldest victim at 87 years old, was shot at least 10 times, the most of any victim.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.239515d77ce0

"At Websleuths we take pride in being a notch above the rest. " Harmony2, WS
    * *. * * *. *. *. *
    Justice for Julia Niswender, murdered 12/10/2012, unsolved
    Justice for Christopher Preston 9/7/2013 - 10/10/2014; LWOP for Joseph Adams
    Chelsea Bruck, missing 10/26/2014, found 4/24/2015 ; Daniel Clay-Guilty Felony Murder/concealing body 5/16/2017
    Find Eric Franks (40) Missing from Bridgeport, MI since March 2011

Originally Posted by starviego
    A couple of other quibbling little things:

--Why wasn't the 11 year old witness and niece of Tywanza Sanders called to the stand? She's only a kid, but 11 is old enough.

--Why wasn't witness Jennifer Pinckney, the widow of the minister, called to the stand?

--The first reports of a suspect said he was 21 years old. This was attributed to a statement from a witness who said Roof mentioned it. Why didn't the defense attorney bring it up? Roof allegedly made other statements to the witnesses, but no one is curious about this utterance.

There are too many UNANSWERED QUESTIONS in this case!

Zuri:
    I think you are reaching in this case and there are actually NOT a lot of unanswered questions.

Would you subject your 11 yo daughter to testifying in a murder trial and reliving the trauma? If your answer is yes, then perhaps you might want to rethink that.

The widow and relatives of the victims in this crime MAY be called during the Mitigating and Aggravating portions of this trial. IMO, they would NOT serve a purpose in determining guilt or innocence.

You can find fault in just about anything as no one is perfect. IMO, the Government proved their case pretty darn well, beyond a reasonable doubt, that DSR killed these innocent people with malice and aforethought.

IMOO

thanks for this, Zuri. I am in total agreement that this was proved beyond any REASONABLE DOUBT. I believe there are enough other people who can/will testify that there will be no need to subject a young child-victim of this killer to the horrendous experience of testifying against him in the penalty phase. That would seem to be cruel, in my opinion. No need make her go through this again.... it will already be with her for the rest of her life without adding more pain.

A case can, and was, proven without the need to call every possible witness.

Why quibble over his age by a few months? Does it matter if he was 20 or 21 or 22? It does not change the fact he murdered these nine people.
    "At Websleuths we take pride in being a notch above the rest. " Harmony2, WS
    * *. * * *. *. *. *
    Justice for Julia Niswender, murdered 12/10/2012, unsolved
    Justice for Christopher Preston 9/7/2013 - 10/10/2014; LWOP for Joseph Adams
    Chelsea Bruck, missing 10/26/2014, found 4/24/2015 ; Daniel Clay-Guilty Felony Murder/concealing body 5/16/2017
    Find Eric Franks (40) Missing from Bridgeport, MI since March 2011

Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast