GUILTY SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston, 2015; Dylann Roof GUILTY #3

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Dylann Roof says he almost backed out because everyone at church was ‘so nice,’ bond set at $1 million
Posted 1:00 PM, June 19, 2015, by CNN Wire, Updated at 02:54pm, June 19, 2015

CHARLESTON, S.C. (June 19, 2015) — Dylann Roof was charged on Friday with nine counts of murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime for this week’s shooting at a historically black church in the city.
Dylann Roof Hears Victims' Families Speak at 1st Court Appearance: 'I Forgive You'
Jun 19, 2015, 4:05 PM ET
By EMILY SHAPIRO

Several family members of the nine people killed at Charleston's Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church balanced their grief with forgiveness at Dylann Roof’s first court appearance this afternoon.
“I forgive you,” the daughter of victim Ethel Lance, 70, said through tears to Roof, who appeared at the bond hearing via video-conferencing from jail. "You took something very precious from me and I will never talk to her ever again. I will never be able to hold her again. But I forgive you. And have mercy on your soul."

Charleston church shooter hears victims' kin say, 'I forgive you'
By Ralph Ellis, Greg Botelho and Ed Payne, CNN
Updated 9:16 PM ET, Fri June 19, 2015

CNN)Dylann Roof heard words of forgiveness from families of some of the nine people he's accused of killing.
His response: A blank expression.

Wearing a striped inmate jumpsuit, the 21-year-old appeared Friday afternoon by video feed at a bond hearing in Charleston, South Carolina. He stood motionless while listening to the anguished words of relatives of victims he gunned down Wednesday night at a Bible study at the historic Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church.
Thread #1
Thread #2

Dylann Roof Found Guilty in Charleston Church Massacre

"...Mr. Roof, 22, stood, his hands at his side and his face emotionless, as a clerk read the verdict aloud in court. Two deputy United States marshals stood behind Mr. Roof, whose lawyers also stood nearby.

He will face the same jurors next month when they gather on Jan. 3 to begin a second and more suspenseful phase of his trial to decide whether he will be sentenced to death or life in prison without parole. In the phase, however, Mr. Roof has told the judge that he plans to represent himself....

The decision to try Mr. Roof was a subject of some dispute. Through his lawyers, he had offered to plead guilty in exchange for a sentence of life in prison. Ms. Sanders and Ms. Sheppard both supported such an agreement, as did many family members of the victims.

But the Justice Department chose to seek the death penalty, in part, prosecutors said in a court filing, because of Mr. Roof “expressed hatred and contempt toward African-Americans, as well as other groups.”

Despite their reservations, Ms. Sanders and relatives of the victims filed into Courtroom Six for nearly every moment of the trial.

Mr. Roof never looked toward them."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/15/u...prod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

Praying for comfort for the families of the victims.

The Post and Courier Retweeted
Glenn Smith ‏@glennsmith5 3m3 minutes ago
Transport van taking #DylannRoof back to jail after guilty verdict in #RoofTrial

Czvw-29WgAAsokV.jpg

The Post and Courier Retweeted
Jennifer Berry Hawes ‏@JenBerryHawes 2m2 minutes ago
#DylannRoof victims' families stoic, holding hands as verdict read convicting on all 33 federal charges. @postandcourier
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 46s47 seconds ago
Family of the #MotherEmanuel victims leave the courthouse. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Czvyt-dVEAAovYO.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 55s55 seconds ago
Some of the families are speaking in uplifting voices. #chsnews

When will victim impact statements happen? I know many of these people are so kind hearted but I hope they really give it to him!

When will victim impact statements happen? I know many of these people are so kind hearted but I hope they really give it to him!

If I heard correctly roof will be allowed to question/ talk to them. jmo

I am so thankful for this Jury. God bless them!

As much as I think he deserves the DP... maybe life without parole would be better. Unless the DP was carried out within months and no appeals. He's confessed, and if there was ever a viable candidate for this punishment.....
But no. It would take 40 years or more.. and endless appeals to endure for the families.

I hope every day of Dylann's life in prison is filled with fear and pain ; and always looking over his shoulder --never able to rest.
Prison should be a punishment and not a retreat.

Those people welcomed him and gave him no reason to want to hurt them; and they've been more gracious than I could ever be.
D.R. is the epitome of evil.
:moo:

It had to be so difficult for the families in the courtroom, as the Prosecution showed pictures of the victims as they were found in the church along with pictures of them in life:

“A person’s actions tell us what they are thinking and what is in their heart,” Williams said as photos of Roof’s victims were shown in the court.
Each victim was shown gunned down on the floor of the church’s basement, depicted as they were at the time of their death. Above each graphic photo was a portrait of the victims as they were during their lives.
Huddled together under blankets in the chilly courtroom, the families of the victims began weeping. Some kept their heads bowed, rocking back and forth, while other held their heads high refusing to look away. One relative groaned and rushed from the courtroom as an image of Tywanza Sanders was shown, his arm outstretched toward Susie Jackson as they lie dead on the church floor. Jackson, the oldest victim at 87 years old, was shot at least 10 times, the most of any victim.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...church-shooting-trial/?utm_term=.239515d77ce0

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by starviego
A couple of other quibbling little things:

--Why wasn't the 11 year old witness and niece of Tywanza Sanders called to the stand? She's only a kid, but 11 is old enough.

--Why wasn't witness Jennifer Pinckney, the widow of the minister, called to the stand?

--The first reports of a suspect said he was 21 years old. This was attributed to a statement from a witness who said Roof mentioned it. Why didn't the defense attorney bring it up? Roof allegedly made other statements to the witnesses, but no one is curious about this utterance.

There are too many UNANSWERED QUESTIONS in this case!

Zuri:
I think you are reaching in this case and there are actually NOT a lot of unanswered questions.
Would you subject your 11 yo daughter to testifying in a murder trial and reliving the trauma? If your answer is yes, then perhaps you might want to rethink that.

The widow and relatives of the victims in this crime MAY be called during the Mitigating and Aggravating portions of this trial. IMO, they would NOT serve a purpose in determining guilt or innocence.

You can find fault in just about anything as no one is perfect. IMO, the Government proved their case pretty darn well, beyond a reasonable doubt, that DSR killed these innocent people with malice and aforethought.

IMOO

thanks for this, Zuri. I am in total agreement that this was proved beyond any REASONABLE DOUBT. I believe there are enough other people who can/will testify that there will be no need to subject a young child-victim of this killer to the horrendous experience of testifying against him in the penalty phase. That would seem to be cruel, in my opinion. No need make her go through this again.... it will already be with her for the rest of her life without adding more pain.

A case can, and was, proven without the need to call every possible witness.

Why quibble over his age by a few months? Does it matter if he was 20 or 21 or 22? It does not change the fact he murdered these nine people.

As much as I think he deserves the DP... maybe life without parole would be better. Unless the DP was carried out within months and no appeals. He's confessed, and if there was ever a viable candidate for this punishment.....
But no. It would take 40 years or more.. and endless appeals to endure for the families.

I hope every day of Dylann's life in prison is filled with fear and pain ; and always looking over his shoulder --never able to rest.
Prison should be a punishment and not a retreat.

Those people welcomed him and gave him no reason to want to hurt them; and they've been more gracious than I could ever be.
D.R. is the epitome of evil.
:moo:

This is why I've changed my opinion on the DP. I am uncomfortable with it for the most part, but in certain cases (surely in this case) I feel like the defendant deserves it. But then, after all that, they never get executed (like Scott Peterson) and it makes me angry. Don't give them a death sentence if they're going to live longer lives than some average everyday upstanding citizens get to.

iMO This is just dumb

Jury convicts Charleston, SC, church shooter Dylann Roof on all 33 counts in federal death penalty trial - Post and Courier

end of alert

He said he did it 38 hours in -- its just stupid imo!!

Blazing headlines "Roof Found Guilty" he told the planet he did it

I am lost here

Its the same kinda thing when stuff is on video. I shot you, your dead. Its on tape. We do not need a 4.5 million dollar trial.

We need to IMO catch up with technology.

Any of us surprised he is guilty he said he did it - where are all these amazing headlines coming from

its stupid IMO

What a waste of money

then all the death penality nonsense comes in -it takes 14.5 million dollars, and two decades, to do it.

A bunch of nonsense IMO .

Daily we hear of wrongly sentenced to be killed - just do life in prison, spend some money on things, as a society we need.

moo

If I heard correctly roof will be allowed to question/ talk to them. jmo

I do not understand WHY DR would get to ask questions of people giving impact statements?! I do not ever remember people that give impact statements being questioned before.

After questions, He probably is going to talk and justify his beliefs and the murders....how far can he go with pushing his ideology to the court room?

And the jury gets to hear these questions?! This 'talk'?! I think DR should be answering questions that the relatives want answered...not giving him that privilege to ask questions. He should not beable to 'talk' at all.

Any lawyer here please explain just what DR will beable to do and not do in this next phase.

Elle Mae...these questions are not directed at you, you just are passing on what you have heard or read, I understand....we just have some crazy laws that help the bad guy or crook...the innocent suffer. The relatives are in such pain and are acting with such dignity and grace....bless them....

This is why I've changed my opinion on the DP. I am uncomfortable with it for the most part, but in certain cases (surely in this case) I feel like the defendant deserves it. But then, after all that, they never get executed (like Scott Peterson) and it makes me angry. Don't give them a death sentence if they're going to live longer lives than some average everyday upstanding citizens get to.

Exactly - sentence life in prison, that way there is no risk of , decades later to find out DNA says the person society killed was not right .

IBe done with it - jeezzzzzzzzz he said he killed them, but the system still needs to do all this nonsense -just makes no sense to me at all!!

Its like the same stuff with the cops killing Aa. It is on tape, yeh he shot the person 9 times in the back, while running away, over a tailight, but we spend 14 million dollars on this nonsense

moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back