FL - Newborn left at Vero Beach fire station

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/local_news/article/0,2545,TCP_16736_4253583,00.html

VERO BEACH — A baby girl that was about an hour old was dropped off at an Indian River County fire station Saturday in what authorities said is the first time a Safe Baby Station has been used in the county. The baby, identified only as Hispanic and with the umbilical cord still attached, was taken from Fire Station No. 5 in Wabasso to Indian River Memorial Hospital, where doctors reported she is doing fine.
Indian River County Sheriff's Office spokesman Jeff Luther said the baby was dropped off at the fire station on U.S. 1 at 11:15 a.m. Officials could not provide much information about who dropped off the newborn because of the privacy associated with Safe Baby Station program, he said.

"We can't say much about the people who took the baby to the station because we want people to be able to drop off a baby without questions asked," Luther said. "There was a lot of trouble in the past in the state of Florida because of people leaving babies in garbage dumpters or in restrooms.

"The Safe Baby Station is an ideal situation to prevent those things, and this shows it works."

Luther said a state law passed in 2000 allows parents to leave unwanted babies seven days or younger at designated sites such as fire stations and hospitals.

Under the law, parents can remain anonymous and do not have to give any information to rescue workers. It is not a criminal act and no detectives are assigned to the case.

In Port St. Lucie in February 2004, a baby was taken to St. Lucie Medical Center after a teenager dropped off her newborn at a fire station, saying she could not take care of it.

The law also permits rescue workers to counsel youths who may need help under the law.

"By law, even if the whole family came to drop off the baby, we couldn't question them, and we don't want to," Luther said. "We want to show people that they can safely leave their babies, and the child's safety is the main thing."

After the infant is checked at the hospital, she will be turned over the Department of Children & Families for adoption.

Luther said the baby did not appear to be in danger when she was dropped off. "It can be dangerous any time this is done, especially with the umbilical cord attached, but the doctors checked her out and said she's doing fine," Luther said.

As sad as it is for that poor little baby, I'm so glad someone dropped her off at a "Safe Baby Station" so that she at least has a chance at a good life now. Better that than to have been killed like so many other innocent babies. I hope this baby has a wonderful future and that the birth mother gets some emotional and mental help to deal with her life.

I wish more women did this instead of putting their babies in dumpsters and risking prison time for murder. Those stories break my heart because the baby just didn't have a chance at survival. This mother did the right thing.
I hope this little baby girl goes to a familiy who will love and cherish her forever.

Great story, I am glad it worked in this case. Too many babies thrown away.

I agree the birth Mom did the right thing! I think this is a sweet story~ the image of a group of cute firefighters finding this little one warms my heart! (I have a weakness for firemen)

IdahoMom said:
I agree the birth Mom did the right thing! I think this is a sweet story~ the image of a group of cute firefighters finding this little one warms my heart! (I have a weakness for firemen)
----------------------

IdahoMom, I agree,this is a sweet story.I also feel it shows the mom had love for her child.This little girl will have a loving family because her mom thought enough of her not to murder her.Bet the Firemen were beaming!!!

Nore said:
----------------------

IdahoMom, I agree,this is a sweet story.I also feel it shows the mom had love for her child.This little girl will have a loving family because her mom thought enough of her not to murder her.Bet the Firemen were beaming!!!
Yes, her mother did love her. I think the ideal situation would be for her to go back and claim her baby and gets the help she needs. Since there is no information on the mother, maybe she needed time to think about keeping the baby, or a had hidden her pregnancy, maybe she was confused and afraid. In many cases of abandoned babies found dead, that is the story. The baby surely wasn't born in a hospital. Even if the mother is never found, I hope she is blessed, for she made the right decision not to leave her child to die.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petoskey
Back