TX - Shanna, 36, & Diederik Vandewege, 3 mos, slain, Fort Worth, 15 Dec 2016 *GUILTY*

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
WFAA:

Police not ruling anyone out in mother, infant homicide investigation

Police confirmed they were investigating the deaths of 36-year-old Shanna Vandewege and her infant son Diederik, found Thursday, as homicides.

The medical examiner's office says the bodies were found in a bed, and announced the baby's cause of death was an incised wound of the neck.
---
"To the best I understand, her husband Craig walked in, the house was all in disorder, and he found them both," Mark Riddle, Shanna Vandewege's father, said.
---
Police said Friday they were not looking at one specific person as a suspect, and that they hadn't ruled anyone out.
---
more at the link, with video

Sad, sad, sad.
Per link in above post, her father "Craig discovered the bodies Thursday night when he came home from work. "To the best I understand, he walked in, the house was all in disorder and walked in and found them both," RIddle says."

RIP Shanna & baby Vandewege.

Who could do this sort of thing and live with themselves? Monster? I hope police get the that did this ASAP.

Nothing today in MSM -- no info yet on mother's cause of death.

Police confirmed they were investigating the deaths as homicides. According to Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office, both died from an "incised wound" to the neck.

<snipped>

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/mom-baby-found-dead-in-fort-worth-home/371770213

...The couple had moved to Texas from Colorado earlier this year and welcomed their son after three miscarriages.

[...]

Vandewege, a registered nurse, and Craig, who according to Vandewege's father works at Cotsco, had moved to Fort Worth earlier this year. The new mother was still on maternity leave.

<snipped>

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...son-Diederik-dead-inside-Fort-Worth-home.html

According to the Tarrant County medical examiner, Shanna Vandewege and her infant son were both found dead in beds.

[...]

“They picked out the neighborhood that they thought was one of the best neighborhoods they could find,” Riddle said. “Apparently, it wasn’t.”

<snipped>

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article121276783.html

In a historically safe neighborhood, why would a new family be targeted for a break-in? It's difficult enough to understand why someone would kill the mother, but makes no sense at all why someone would slit the throat of a harmless infant. Sounds like both were in bed...baby in crib (nursery) and mother in the master bedroom. If a cat burglar, why kill someone who's asleep, too. Wonder if anything was missing. Looking for something specific, perhaps?

Does not sound like a random robbery,murder.Cutting the throat of a 3 month old,this sounds personal.Possibly someone from her past?jmo.

This is truly awful, just sickening. Even if it was a robbery gone bad(which I don't believe to be the case) why kill the baby? It's not like a baby that young could pick someone out of a line up.

Have we heard an estimated time of death?

If the dad works at Costco I'm sure his whereabouts are easy to check. This sounds so personal. Hard to believe anyone who recently moved to the area from out of state could have created such an enemy so quickly. It would be interesting to know if the house was a foreclosure purchase. That's the only logical outside grudge I can think of at the moment(besides the most obvious suspect).

Also, have we heard the reason behind their move?

Does not sound like a random robbery,murder.Cutting the throat of a 3 month old,this sounds personal.Possibly someone from her past?jmo.

It also could have been someone from his past.Possibly from where they moved from.

It doesn't appear that LE has made any detailed public statements -- the only statements to the media have come from neighbors and Shanna's dad?

The neighbors don't know whether they should fear murderous home invaders on the loose, and Shanna's dad doesn't appear to suspect her husband (or he isn't saying so, if he does).

No doubt LE is all over Craig though, IMO, as they should be. Hopefully, he's being cooperative so he can rule himself out if he's a victim here...and help LE find whoever did this. Cutting the throat of a three-month-old is, obviously, beyond the pale and senseless (in terms of witness elimination) for a home invader.

20534.jpg
RIP Shanna and Diederik Vandewege
(Photo source: http://www.insideedition.com/headli...-old-baby-found-murdered-in-their-home-police)

Police investigate deaths of mother, infant son in north Fort Worth

FORT WORTH
After suffering three miscarriages, Shanna Riddle Vandewege was ecstatic with the September birth of her first child, a boy named Diederik.

“We went down for the birth of the baby,” said Mark Riddle, Vandewege’s father, in a telephone interview from his Colorado home.

Riddle said he and other family members were looking forward to seeing his 3-month-old grandson next week when his daughter and her husband, Craig Vandewege, were to visit for Christmas.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article121276783.html#storylink=cpy

This is truly awful, just sickening. Even if it was a robbery gone bad(which I don't believe to be the case) why kill the baby? It's not like a baby that young could pick someone out of a line up.

Have we heard an estimated time of death?

If the dad works at Costco I'm sure his whereabouts are easy to check. This sounds so personal. Hard to believe anyone who recently moved to the area from out of state could have created such an enemy so quickly. It would be interesting to know if the house was a foreclosure purchase. That's the only logical outside grudge I can think of at the moment(besides the most obvious suspect).

Also, have we heard the reason behind their move?

It also could have been someone from his past.Possibly from where they moved from.
BBM
This is what I was starting to think about. Did they move because they felt threatened by someone and were trying to hide? If it was something personal against the mother, why kill the baby? It would only hurt the father, the one not injured. So, was someone trying to send a message to the husband/father by harming the 2 people he loved most? I can't imagine what kind of grudge someone would carry to do anything so brutal. If the mother alone was killed, I would lean more toward a home invasion as in the case of Amanda Blackburn, or the killing of the mother to steal the infant.

Was the family targeted? Did someone intentionally target the mother and baby when the husband/father was at work? Or, was the intruder desperately looking for a previous resident/something believed to be left behind and it was a tragic coincidence that this young family was now residing there?

I wonder if they're certain it was a double homicide, not a murder-suicide. Post-natal psychosis, maybe. Maybe the murder weapon was removed from the scene and that's how they know it wasn't a suicide.

I wonder if they're certain it was a double homicide, not a murder-suicide. Post-natal psychosis, maybe. Maybe the murder weapon was removed from the scene and that's how they know it wasn't a suicide.

I wondered that too, but it was reported very quickly that both deaths had been ruled homicides.

I guess that could change if it turns out the cutting instrument was removed from the scene and there's other evidence to support a murder-suicide.

Sad to think about it, no matter who did the throat-slashing. Shanna had reportedly been trying to get pregnant for so long and suffered 3 miscarriages along the way. Then, she finally has her baby, and mother and son are dead within a few months.

Deaths of woman, baby caused by cuts to neck

FORT WORTH -- Police carried out evidence and wrapped police tape around the home where the 36-year-old Shanna Vandewege and her infant son Diederik were found dead Thursday night.

Police confirmed they were investigating the deaths as homicides. According to Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office, both died from an "incised wound" to the neck.
http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/mom-baby-found-dead-in-fort-worth-home/371770213

Have they cleared the husband and father?
Bbm
Do you not think the husband is the father of the child? Curious about your wording. Or did you mean her father?
To be honest, when I saw the pictures of the husband, S and baby, I didn't think the baby's looked like the husband (or the mom). But could just be bad angles, etc.

Bbm
Do you not think the husband is the father of the child? Curious about your wording. Or did you mean her father?
To be honest, when I saw the pictures of the husband, S and baby, I didn't think the baby's looked like the husband (or the mom). But could just be bad angles, etc.
The husband of the dead woman and father of the dead infant: Craig Vandewege.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back