Dog Tasered multiple times after attacking 6-year-old

forthekids

Reaction score
Dog Tasered multiple times after attacking 6-year-old

[size=-1]11:22 AM CDT on Monday, August 15, 2005 [/size][size=-1]By Amy Tortolani / 11 News [/size]http://www.khou.com/bi/images/video_icon.gif Click to watch video

HOUSTON -- A grandfather shared his horrifying story after his 6-year-old grandson was mauled by a German Shepherd mix Sunday afternoon.
http://www.khou.com/news/local/houstonmetro/stories/M_IMAGE.10543a66c1a.93.88.fa.7c.73f96295.jpg KHOU-TV
Joey Sabala was released from the hospital Sunday evening and is expected to make a full recovery.

The animal was so vicious that even seasoned HPD officers said they feared for their safety.
In the end it would take multiple Taserings to bring the dog down in the 2800 block of Hohl.
Juan San Miguel can't remember exactly what he did, but he knows whatever it was, it saved his grandson.
"He was on his knees, hands on the concrete, and the dog was over him with his mouth on his head," Miguel said, describing how Joey Sabala was attacked by a dog.
The 6-year-old stood just feet away from his grandpa when the neighbors' German Shepherd mix latched on to the little boy.
"He couldn't move with dog on top of him like that," Miguel said.
What Miguel didn't realize is that once the boy was in his arms the dog would try to attack again.
"I was scared when I was going down to rescue him, but what are you going to do?"
Snarling and growling, witnesses said the dog ran next door to some church property.
"Eighty-pound German Shepherd - lab mix had us pinned against the wall so I deployed my Taser one time," said Officer Randy Crowder. "Got him to the ground, tried to put the rope on him but he came out of the Taser and attacked the grandfather so I Tasered him again."
http://www.khou.com/news/local/houstonmetro/stories/M_IMAGE.10543a66c1a.93.88.fa.7c.73f9e8d6.jpg KHOU-TV
It took multiple Taserings to bring the dog down.

And again and possibly even again.
"Dogs are a lot more unpredictable than humans, I knew his instinct was to save his own skin so we felt more threatened by him than I would ever by a crook," Officer Crowder admitted.
When animal control arrived the dog was no longer breathing. But little Joey Sabala was alive, scared and suffering from several puncture marks to his head.
The owner of the dog was not home at the time of the attack. It is still not clear how the dog got out.
Investigators said the dog would be tested for rabies.
Joey Sabala was released from the hospital Sunday evening and is expected to make a full recovery.

Dog attack leads to lawsuit

[size=-1]05:10 PM CST on Tuesday, November 15, 2005

[/size][size=-1]By Doug Miller / 11 News [/size]Joey Sabala can be a quiet little boy -- especially when he's around dogs.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/houstonmetro/stories/M_IMAGE.10732e55909.93.88.fa.7c.63493994.jpg KHOU
Joey Sabala still has nightmares from the dog attack.

"Dog had his head, just right here -- a lock on his head right here," said Annette Sabala.

Joey was the victim of a dog attack back in August. He was sitting on this porch, playing with toy cars when his neighbor's German Shepherd attacked.

His grandfather saw what happened and grabbed Joey, but the dog just kept on biting.

A police officer finally fired a taser at the dog, hitting him so many times, the animal died.

"That's about an 80-pound, German-lab mix had us pinned against the wall, so I deployed my taser one time, got him on the ground," the officer told us on the day of the attack. "We tried to put a rope on him but he came out of the taser and he attacked the grandfather."

"He don't like me touching this one," said Joey's mom. She says Joe lies awake nights because of bad dreams.

"He has nightmares about dogs. I mean, when he sees a big dog walking down the street, he will literally start climbing on me," Annette Sabala said.

"We think of dogs as man's best friend. And in fact, in this case, it may be our children's worst nightmare," said Terry Bryant, who is representing the family in a lawsuit against the dog's owner.

In the meantime, his mother wonders when Joey Sabala's nightmares will end.

Check this out! Whooo knew?!?!

Dr. Brady Barr of National Geographic (Dangerous Encounters: Bite Force, 8pm est 8/18/2005) – Dr. Barr measured bite forces of many different creatures. Domestic dogs were included in the test.
Here are the results of all of the animals tested:

Humans: 120 pounds of bite pressure

Domestic dogs: 320 LBS of pressure on avg. A German Shepard, American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) and Rottweiler were tested using a bite sleeve equipped with a specialized computer instrument. The APBT had the least amount of pressure of the 3 dogs tested.

Wild dogs: 310 lbs
Lions: 600 lbs
White sharks: 600 lbs
Hyenas: 1000 lbs
Snapping turtles: 1000 lbs
Crocodiles: 2500 lbs

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics