636 users online (80 members and 556 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 50
  1. #31
    Gracenote's Avatar
    Gracenote is offline We know that all things work together for good for those who love the Lord.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,574
    Actually the laboring mother can "make noises" but cannot say words lest you imprint on the baby. In Paulette Cooper's book she describes a man who had a bad rash on his bottom and it was traced back to his mother asking for Aspirin (ass burn) when he was in the womb. , Nevermind that a baby can't even speak or understand English until they are older. But what do you expect from a science fiction writer.


    Adji, you are not forgotten and you are loved.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,029
    Gosh I am really enjoying this series and am so glad I started watching it. Episode #5 was on the other night. Another escape detailed by a fairly high ranking couple who was in the cult. Husband got out first and wife followed sometime later.

    The big :-O revealed in this episode is the fact that seaorg members who sign those billion year contracts are not allowed to have children and if/when the woman/wife gets pregnant, she is expected to have an abortion ASAP.

    This couple were forced to abort their first child. They later had 3 boys after escaping, but the emotional scars of the coercion and not standing up for herself really took its toll on the wife. Couples actually spend very little time together and the cult arranges it so they work opposite schedules as much as possible. Plus seaorg members work all the time, massive amounts of overtime, for no extra pay and pennies on the dollar.
    Last edited by Madeleine74; 12-29-2016 at 04:47 PM.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lost in the desert
    Posts
    2,511
    My husband and I have been watching and he gets crazy and doesn't understand how anyone can think any of this is true and they stay and do the things they do. I tried to tell him some start so young they are brainwashed. Then I pointed out, we have convinced our 4 year old son that a fat man wearing a red suit flies around on Christmas Eve behind deer and brings good kids toys and so on with the tooth fairy and Easter Bunny.
    It's very sad to think how many members there are and how sad many of them probably are.
    Don't mind the misspellings.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Davia18 View Post
    My husband and I have been watching and he gets crazy and doesn't understand how anyone can think any of this is true and they stay and do the things they do. I tried to tell him some start so young they are brainwashed. Then I pointed out, we have convinced our 4 year old son that a fat man wearing a red suit flies around on Christmas Eve behind deer and brings good kids toys and so on with the tooth fairy and Easter Bunny.
    It's very sad to think how many members there are and how sad many of them probably are.
    Hahaha! Right? I actually could never bring myself to tell my kids that was true. I took a lot of crap from relatives for refusing to make them believe that. I taught it as a Myth, a lovely fairy-tale, but not the truth. We acted out all the usual traditions and all that, but I remember finding out my parents lied about that, and maybe I was an overly sensitive kid, but I was pissed! It wasn't pleasant at all finding out the truth. I never quite trusted them the same afterwards either...

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    117
    I have a couple of questions. I'm not sure if this is the correct episode, but in one of these recent episodes, Leah said she and Mike talk constantly about things they might do. One of the ideas she specifically mentioned was dropping pamphlets which is something I'd thought about too... Has this ever been tried? I also thought about one of those planes that drags a message banner behind it? In some ways, I think the banner would work better.

    If nothing else, a pamphlet (or banner plane) could provide members with contact information about support (is there support?) available on the outside for ex-members since some of the members who want to leave may not feel that they have any place to go.


    Also wondering... How do Sea Org members advance in scientology, since they don't earn much money and (I assume) they don't have the money to pay for the materials required for advancing?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    35,935
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntB View Post


    Also wondering... How do Sea Org members advance in scientology, since they don't earn much money and (I assume) they don't have the money to pay for the materials required for advancing?
    RSBM I think that was discussed in the most recent episode called Golden Era. From what I understood, Sea Org members sign the billion year contract and then their classes are paid for by the organization. With the understanding that should they leave the program or escape they are then billed for the money spent by the org to advance them through the classes. I think they called it freeloader debt.

    I have only seen the Golden Era episode once and will be watching it again. It was a very good episode. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...-the-Aftermath
    Websleuths now on Facebook

    Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

    mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

  7. #37
    Agree. Good on Ms. Remini for exposing the rather shocking lengths Scientology Management will go to in an attempt to discredit their detractors. Obviously it's well beyond the pale.
    On the other hand...if this is what you want to do with your time and money...more power to you.

    On the third hand, when Hurricane Katrina hit, I saw the red cross at the shelter ( I was at the Astrodome). I saw the Lions Club (a lodge), CVS pharmacists worked around the clock. There were dozens of other entities helping out with relief efforts, job placement, etc... Never saw the scientologists there. Nor have I seen them active in any of the various cities I've lived in as far as outreach goes.
    Seems as though the Scientologists have their own idea of how to help thy neighbor.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Joshua Tree, California
    Posts
    504
    My Sig Other's father installs the security cameras around the compound there. He is creeped out every time he has gone. He is not allowed anywhere without a chaperone. He is probably one of the only non-scientologists allowed on certain areas of the premises. That's all I will say about it as we are aware the church is watching everywhere.

    You would think they would make sure someone who is working on their security systems is a scientologist though - even though my sig other's dad is trustworthy and has no intention to reveal anything about the church.

    The area where the church headquarters are located is in hemet, which is basically cattle fields and empty land unless you are on one of the track housing developments a few miles away. It's surreal to watch the special and literally look out my window to see the area where the headquarters are.
    Here to help. Here to love. Here to encourage.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Joshua Tree, California
    Posts
    504
    I also dated a man shortly who had escaped from the church, but his sister and parents were still in it. His father was very close to the higher ups in the organization. His father had cancer and the guy I was dating decided he no longer supported the church if his dad was not allowed to seek medical care (which he wasn't). He was concerned about his sister essentially being a slave b/c she had signed the billion year contract or whatever and owed tons of money to the church or the church gave her family money for signing the contract (I don't know how it all works). His family did not speak to him. He had ran off to Georgia.
    Here to help. Here to love. Here to encourage.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Joshua Tree, California
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post
    My Sig Other's father installs the security cameras around the compound there. He is creeped out every time he has gone. He is not allowed anywhere without a chaperone. He is probably one of the only non-scientologists allowed on certain areas of the premises. That's all I will say about it as we are aware the church is watching everywhere.

    You would think they would make sure someone who is working on their security systems is a scientologist though - even though my sig other's dad is trustworthy and has no intention to reveal anything about the church.

    The area where the church headquarters are located is in hemet, which is basically cattle fields and empty land unless you are on one of the track housing developments a few miles away. It's surreal to watch the special and literally look out my window to see the area where the headquarters are.
    I just wanted to amend this b/c I just spoke with my SO and he said his father did not do the security cameras, but instead set up the satellites on the property. He did say though that there was a person designated to be about 2 feet from him at all times. He couldn't even use bathroom without person being right outside of the door.

    Just to add he did say that the compound is covered in cameras and that the people who do them most likely ARE scientologists. He also said his dad's friend has a ranch that butts up to the compound and police have showed up before when he was Hunting b/c church was worried when they heard gunshots. The police knew his exact make and model of gun from the Scientologists who had seen the gun with their super high tech surveillence camera. The guy is a dairy farmer and he has had people who escape come through his property. I won't post anymore. I just wanted to correct my statement about SO's dad doing security cameras rather than the satellite system.
    Here to help. Here to love. Here to encourage.


  11. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,029
    Question for those who might know: I heard it said a few times in various episodes that if someone wants to leave the cult quietly and not disparage $cientology then, essentially, that's ok and they won't be followed, etc. However, every story seems to be of someone escaping, just deciding to get away quietly, then being followed, harassed, tried to be brought back, etc.

    Most of these people who escaped did not say anything publicly for some period of time, when they got tired of the harassment and then decided to fight back and be public about it.

    So which is it?

    Some people are allowed to escape quietly while others are not?

  12. #42
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine74 View Post
    Question for those who might know: I heard it said a few times in various episodes that if someone wants to leave the cult quietly and not disparage $cientology then, essentially, that's ok and they won't be followed, etc. However, every story seems to be of someone escaping, just deciding to get away quietly, then being followed, harassed, tried to be brought back, etc.

    Most of these people who escaped did not say anything publicly for some period of time, when they got tired of the harassment and then decided to fight back and be public about it.

    So which is it?

    Some people are allowed to escape quietly while others are not?
    You are right, it's both! No really, pay close attention to who the people are that escaped and are harassed, they usually are high up in the Sea Org and know where the bodies are buried, so to speak. They usually make at least some effort to get anyone who leaves to return, and try harder with Sea Org members.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,386
    FYI: A&E is re-showing this special on Memorial Day to get ready for Season 2 of the show.

    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    FLORIDA NATIVE
    Posts
    1,963
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/sciento...pastor/2330358
    Calling Scientology a dangerous 'cult,' Calvary Baptist Church pastor intended to help A&E film episode for Leah Remini series
    Thursday, July 13, 2017 6:30pm
    CLEARWATER — In an unprecedented public condemnation by a local religious organization about the Church of Scientology, Calvary Baptist Church Pastor Willy Rice declared Wednesday that the "community has been tormented by this Goliath for far too long."
    "Someone has to pick up a rock and a slingshot and trust God with the results," Rice wrote in a blog post that has since been removed from the Calvary website. "We believe we are in a unique position in this community and should try to help."
    To expose "the cult's dangerous, deceptive and abusive practices," Calvary Baptist had committed to allow A&E's Emmy-nominated Scientology and the Aftermath series to film a public forum in its worship center July 22. However, on Thursday, A&E senior vice president Dan Silberman said the network never arranged for such a town hall and none will be held.
    Silberman said the show's producers talked about filming private interviews at Calvary, but not in a public format. Silberman said, to his knowledge, A&E was not pressured by Scientology.
    […]

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,743
    The Church of Scientology closed down Clearwater downtown today for a Church sponsored block party.

    SeaSeas, didn't the Church of Scientology buy the land that Calvary Baptist Church used to be downtown, overlooking the bay, many many years ago?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. S1 Ep 1 Disconnect - A&E Leah Remini - Scientology and the Aftermath
    By tlcya in forum Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-18-2017, 11:04 AM
  2. S1 Ep 3 The Bridge - A&E Leah Remini - Scientology and the Aftermath
    By tlcya in forum Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-19-2016, 12:45 AM
  3. Streaming Past Episodes - A&E Leah Remini Scientology the Aftermath
    By tlcya in forum Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2016, 06:38 PM
  4. S1 Ep 2 Fair Game - A&E Leah Remini - Scientology and the Aftermath
    By tlcya in forum Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2016, 04:27 PM
  5. The Rules: Leah Remini - Scientology and the Aftermath
    By tlcya in forum Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2016, 04:14 PM

Tags for this Thread