Found Deceased VT - Hadil Marzouq, 20, Bennington, 17 Dec 2016

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Police looking for missing 20-year-old woman in Bennington
hadil-marzouq.png

Police say Hadil Marzouq, 20, of Bennington, Vt., left the residence she was staying at on Saturday. She was reported missing after not returning home on Sunday.
On Sunday, police say they located the vehicle Marzouq was operating next to Vermont Route 30 at the Dorset Quarry.
http://news10.com/2016/12/19/police-looking-for-missing-20-year-old-woman-in-bennington/

Bennington College alum here. Having gone to Bennington, I know firsthand how strained the relations are between the students and the townies -- that's why it stood out immediately to me that Hadil was staying not on campus, but at a residence in town. It's remotely possible, but extremely improbable (given my knowledge of the student body's makeup) that she is from the area. Bennington College is known for being a haven for artists, musicians, actors, and other free-spirit creative types; the majority of students are from either coast but very few from in between, and almost zero from the surrounding area. The town of Bennington, unlike places where most college students come from, is small and blue collar. There is another small college, Southern Vermont College, which is a more likely choice for locals.

It looks like Hadil was dedicated to improving the relationship between Bennington kids and the town, which is commendable, but there is a long history of limited (and sometimes hostile) interaction between the two populations.

Unlike many college campuses, it is not generally possible for students to remain on the Bennington College campus between the fall and winter semesters. I looked up the academic calendar (http://www.bennington.edu/academics/academic-calendar) and saw that campus residences closed down on Dec. 10/11. All students are required to do a 7-week internship (Field Work Term) somewhere else in January & February. I wonder where Hadil was planning to do her FWT, and I wonder why she remained in Bennington after the semester ended. It makes me think she is an international student (and if so, what her family situation is), because I recall that only my classmates who came from abroad would stay in town during the winter break, because either finances or their visas did not permit travel to their family in another country.

I have to say that her car being found at the Dorset Quarry doesn't look good. The quarry is a 40 minute drive from campus/the town of Bennington. I don't think she'd have ended up there by accident.

I hope she is located safe and sound.

A friend of hers on Reddit said she was staying with friends from a local church, and was planning to visit her boyfriend in CT on Saturday (and apparently the quarry is in precisely the wrong direction for a Connecticut-bound traveler). So I don't think she was from Bennington, necessarily.

I saw her car there Sunday. It was warm Saturday night and Sunday. I wonder if the police looked for tracks in the snow. The car wasn't parked in the lot but more across the entrance to it. Wondering if anyone looked for footprints in the snow in the lot or leading into the quarry. Should be nice and frozen for now seeing that it hadn't gone above freezing.

Bennington College alum here. Having gone to Bennington, I know firsthand how strained the relations are between the students and the townies -- that's why it stood out immediately to me that Hadil was staying not on campus, but at a residence in town. It's remotely possible, but extremely improbable (given my knowledge of the student body's makeup) that she is from the area. Bennington College is known for being a haven for artists, musicians, actors, and other free-spirit creative types; the majority of students are from either coast but very few from in between, and almost zero from the surrounding area. The town of Bennington, unlike places where most college students come from, is small and blue collar. There is another small college, Southern Vermont College, which is a more likely choice for locals.

It looks like Hadil was dedicated to improving the relationship between Bennington kids and the town, which is commendable, but there is a long history of limited (and sometimes hostile) interaction between the two populations.

Unlike many college campuses, it is not generally possible for students to remain on the Bennington College campus between the fall and winter semesters. I looked up the academic calendar (http://www.bennington.edu/academics/academic-calendar) and saw that campus residences closed down on Dec. 10/11. All students are required to do a 7-week internship (Field Work Term) somewhere else in January & February. I wonder where Hadil was planning to do her FWT, and I wonder why she remained in Bennington after the semester ended. It makes me think she is an international student (and if so, what her family situation is), because I recall that only my classmates who came from abroad would stay in town during the winter break, because either finances or their visas did not permit travel to their family in another country.

I have to say that her car being found at the Dorset Quarry doesn't look good. The quarry is a 40 minute drive from campus/the town of Bennington. I don't think she'd have ended up there by accident.

I hope she is located safe and sound.

Always great to have a local on a case.

I hope she is found safe and soon.

I'm wondering if I should go tomorrow and look around. I have dealt with the state police before and It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't even get out of their car.

Marzouq is a peer mediator at Bennington College, and earlier this semester was involved with a class that developed a number of projects designed to increase interaction between students and the wider Bennington community. As part of their project, Marzouq's group led some ice-breaking activities at the bus station on Pleasant Street in Bennington, which got people in the station who rode together every day, but never spoke, learning more about each other.

http://www.benningtonbanner.com/stories/bennington-college-student-reported-missing,492669

In re-reading an article it said she was living with a host family. Another article said she's from Palestine, she won some merit based scholarship to go to Bennington. I also looked up the quarry and found an article that gave some information about the quarry. The quarry is a popular swimming hole and is privately owned. A year ago the owners found that there have been so many visitors that they are having a hard time keeping up with it all. This year, in April, they requested the state take ownership of the property so they could run it. I wonder if Hadil was out there because she was mediating something between the community or state and the land owners? If so, did she meet someone out there to show them the property? Or take pics? In one article it said that Hadil was part of group of students who did these types of mediation within the community.

I live in town and I don't believe she has anything to do with a mediation. Her car was parked in a wierd position along the road. Either she didn't want to park in the icy lot,or it was parked quickly as to get in another vehicle.

Just went to check out quarry. Search and rescue with a scuba team are there.
Wouldn't surprise me that a college kid with some free time wouldn't visit the quarry. Lots of ice on the rocks, chance of slipping in are pretty good if your not careful. Hopeing for a good outcome

Although it was many years ago and I no longer live nearby I write as someone who has spent many happy hours at both Bennington College and the Dorset Quarry.

Greenmountainguy, we probably know each other. For the record, I disagree with your take on the Vermont State Police.

I think it's unlikely (unless for mediation purposes, as Mom24 suggested) that Miss Marzouq had had any prior experience with or knowledge of the quarry. It's pretty far away and pretty obscure and so far as I know an unlikely place to find a Bennington student - even on a hot summer day.

Surely the VSP has an opinion whether the car was parked where it was by someone 5'3" or not?

I'd like to know, also, whether and where Miss Marzouq indicated to her hosts she was going when she ventured out on Saturday.

I consider the quarry an extremely odd choice of a place to abandon a car in the wintertime unless whoever abandoned it had a ride waiting or is still in the neighborhood. It's a long, long walk to anywhere from there, there is no public transit so far as I know, and there is no place to conceal a car there from Rte. 30 - which is a relatively busy state road. Also, I'm not sure about the hitchhiking climate in Vermont these days, but I doubt it's any better than it is elsewhere in the country unless you're an easily recognized local, possibly.

Concluding, I don't think she parked the car there herself. Unless for professional purposes I very sincerely doubt that the quarry was anywhere on her radar - for suicide, or any reason at all.

I hope she's okay somewhere and will surface well and smiling soon. Clearly, she is an asset to the world.

I'm deeply concerned, though: this situation does not have a good feel to it. I'm wondering whether one of her bus station clients wished her ill. Perhaps VSP will look into possible connections between them and the Dorset community.

Wouldn't surprise me that a college kid with some free time wouldn't visit the quarry. Lots of ice on the rocks, chance of slipping in are pretty good if your not careful. Hopeing for a good outcome

Oh, no! Definitely dangerous! Isn't it frozen?

I read above that the parking lot was icy. Is that correct? Is it possible that she (or someone) parked the car in a regular way, but that it moved because of the ice?

I recall once parking my car at work on an icy day, and at the end of the day, my car had slid down a slight incline and looked like I parked while drunk and blind. :)

Is there an incline or hill by the entrance to the lot?

jmo

Roughly 10 troopers are at the quarry Tuesday morning, among them a search dog unit and the State Police SCUBA Team.

http://www.reformer.com/stories/sta...for-missing-bennington-college-student,492731

Facebook page: Help Find Hadil
It is still in the process of being made. One of her good friends will be releasing updates through the page as things progress.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedWriter
Back